Author Topic: Tristan Thompson Buyout?  (Read 14368 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson Buyout?
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:59 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Tristans from Toronto and he's a proven rebounder which the Raptors desperately need...

Of course he's also a party cheating playboy and his boo and her family are all based in LA...

I don't really see him coming to Boston if he chooses a cold climate it'll be Toronto, if not most likely LA.

This is all under the circumstance of him being bought out of course.

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Tristans from Toronto and he's a proven rebounder which the Raptors desperately need...

Of course he's also a party cheating playboy and his boo and her family are all based in LA...

I don't really see him coming to Boston if he chooses a cold climate it'll be Toronto, if not most likely LA.

This is all under the circumstance of him being bought out of course.

The Clippers could really use Thompson if he wants to play in LA.

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Klutch Sports will not break its tradition and accept a Thompson buyout (no Klutch player has ever accepted a buy out).  The Cavs could obviously just waive him, but they really don't get any benefit in just straight up waiving him as they don't save money and lose the ability to sign and trade him in the offseason (which has some level of value).  So if he is not traded today, he will almost certainly finish the season in Cleveland.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Klutch Sports will not break its tradition and accept a Thompson buyout (no Klutch player has ever accepted a buy out).  The Cavs could obviously just waive him, but they really don't get any benefit in just straight up waiving him as they don't save money and lose the ability to sign and trade him in the offseason (which has some level of value).  So if he is not traded today, he will almost certainly finish the season in Cleveland.

Interesting hypothetical: Tristan tells his agent Paul he would like to accept a buy-out so that he can play for the Clippers. Not the Lakers.

Would put Paul in a tight squeeze with his Laker clients Lebron and AD (and Pope).

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Everyone realizes that he is essentially the same height and weight as Daniel Theis? He's a bit more athletic, obviously, but if Theis can't hang with Embiid because of his size then neither can Thompson.
Thompson is a lot stronger than Theis.  Here is their head to head in their careers.  Thompson actually holds his own and does ok against Embiid, even in the 2 games this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Joel+Embiid&player_id1_select=Joel+Embiid&player_id1=embiijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2_select=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2=thomptr01&idx=players

Maybe.

In three games this year against Theis, Embiid is averaging 21 and 10 on 39% shooting.
Are you including the game that Theis played 10 minutes while Embiid was at 23 or the game where Theis played 24 and Embiid was at 36.  The game on the weekend, Embiid was awful, though I recall a lot times when Theis wasn't in the game while Embiid was or when someone like Semi was guarding Embiid.

Thompson generally guards Embiid and generally plays when Embiid does.  that isn't the case with Theis.
You didn't seem to have any problem including a game where Embiid played 34 minutes and Thompson had just 21.

Pot meet kettle.
I posted a link to their entire history, I didn't mention any games other than the 2 this year, which they played similar minutes in.  I did that for a reason because as you say, there is some imbalance in minutes in prior seasons.  The 3 games this year between Theis and Embiid the minutes aren't close at all.  I mean if you are going to criticize at least correctly criticize.
Oh I correctly criticized, you're just spinning it, as always.

I got to agree with Nick on this one. I really wish we could have consistent comparisons. Also, the fact that Tristan Thompson sat last night it seems like it is unlikely he will be playing for the Cavs again this season. The only time i really remember a team holding out a guy for an imminent trade and then playing him again recently was Jahill Okafor and 76ers and that became a bit of a mess.

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Thompson is hurt.  A minor quad injury, so nothing major, but he missed Monday's game also.  Now maybe he could have played yesterday and they held him out because of trade speculation, but I tend to think it was the injury more than anything. 

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Cavs acquiring Drummond probably changes the thinking on the buyout (assuming he isn't moved in some deal still being worked on). 

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Cavs acquiring Drummond probably changes the thinking on the buyout (assuming he isn't moved in some deal still being worked on).

Yea it would seem disrespectful to keep a guy that helped them win a championship for 30 meaningless games off the bench while they try to give the durable Drummond a look before his potential free agency.

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2020, 03:38:54 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Adding Thompson via the buyout market would be great, but it seems to me that we've put all our eggs in one basket.

Don't think we are the favorites to sign him. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll sign for the Clips.

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2020, 03:39:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Buyout market is going to trash

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
https://twitter.com/davidaldridgedc/status/1225518906573545472?s=21

What is the point of this for either side? Especially after he asked to be traded...

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

What is the point of this for either side? Especially after he asked to be traded...

Bird rights.  Virtually no one has cap space this summer — if Thompson wants to get something more than the MLE, he’ll need it to happen via sign-and-trade.  This would also allow the Cavs to get something for him.

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2020, 04:01:30 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Wouldn't Thompson's Agent want him playing in The Playoffs this year to increase his value?

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Bird rights.  Virtually no one has cap space this summer — if Thompson wants to get something more than the MLE, he’ll need it to happen via sign-and-trade.  This would also allow the Cavs to get something for him.

Isn't having him, Nance, Love and Drummond rotating and expecting minutes a problem?