Author Topic: Tristan Thompson Buyout?  (Read 14299 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson Buyout?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Everyone realizes that he is essentially the same height and weight as Daniel Theis? He's a bit more athletic, obviously, but if Theis can't hang with Embiid because of his size then neither can Thompson.
Thompson is a lot stronger than Theis.  Here is their head to head in their careers.  Thompson actually holds his own and does ok against Embiid, even in the 2 games this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Joel+Embiid&player_id1_select=Joel+Embiid&player_id1=embiijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2_select=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2=thomptr01&idx=players

Maybe.

In three games this year against Theis, Embiid is averaging 21 and 10 on 39% shooting.
Are you including the game that Theis played 10 minutes while Embiid was at 23 or the game where Theis played 24 and Embiid was at 36.  The game on the weekend, Embiid was awful, though I recall a lot times when Theis wasn't in the game while Embiid was or when someone like Semi was guarding Embiid.

Thompson generally guards Embiid and generally plays when Embiid does.  that isn't the case with Theis.

Well, not what the stats say.

https://stats.nba.com/player/203954/head-to-head/

Thompson allows something like 1.1 team ppp when Embiid gets the ball. Theis allows about the same. But Thompson allows more shots and better percentage.

Thompson is ok. He can be part of a rotation against Embiid, but he's average at best, and minimally better (if at all) than Theis.

He doesn't add anything that Theis, Kanter, and Williams don't already have.

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Everyone realizes that he is essentially the same height and weight as Daniel Theis? He's a bit more athletic, obviously, but if Theis can't hang with Embiid because of his size then neither can Thompson.
Thompson is a lot stronger than Theis.  Here is their head to head in their careers.  Thompson actually holds his own and does ok against Embiid, even in the 2 games this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Joel+Embiid&player_id1_select=Joel+Embiid&player_id1=embiijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2_select=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2=thomptr01&idx=players

Maybe.

In three games this year against Theis, Embiid is averaging 21 and 10 on 39% shooting.
Are you including the game that Theis played 10 minutes while Embiid was at 23 or the game where Theis played 24 and Embiid was at 36.  The game on the weekend, Embiid was awful, though I recall a lot times when Theis wasn't in the game while Embiid was or when someone like Semi was guarding Embiid.

Thompson generally guards Embiid and generally plays when Embiid does.  that isn't the case with Theis.
You didn't seem to have any problem including a game where Embiid played 34 minutes and Thompson had just 21.

Pot meet kettle.

lol. TP

I seem to recall that during the last Sixers game, Brad subbed out Theis whenever Embiid sits. Its why we were able to get away with Grant being our 5 that game.

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2020, 01:05:44 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He will go out West to either Lakers, Clippers or Warriors
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2020, 01:07:22 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Maybe.

Thompson allows something like 1.1 team ppp when Embiid gets the ball. Theis allows about the same. But Thompson allows more shots and better percentage.

Thompson is ok. He can be part of a rotation against Embiid, but he's average at best, and minimally better (if at all) than Theis.

He doesn't add anything that Theis, Kanter, and Williams don't already have.

Theis does a good job of denying Embiid the ball. I think this is why Thompson allows more shots than Theis.

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2020, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Maybe.

It's interesting to toggle that search form between offense mode and defense mode and note how the Embiid v Kanter matchup has played out.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cleveland may be sitting Thompson tonight which means they are probably closer to moving him tonight or tomorrow sometime. Apparently they are demanding a 1st rounder for a rental of TT.

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He's a rotation guy. He's fine. It would be great to have a player like him. My only point is that he is probably not that great of an upgrade. He's never been part of a high level defensive team, and he has never anchored a defense. In most areas, he average or above average. The stats bear out that he's just not that different from Theis in on court production.

He's a bit more athletic and probably a bit more switchable. He's a little better rebounder. But Theis is probably a better helpside defender, screener, and shot-blocker.

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 01:25:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I give them the Bucks pick,,geez how many picks does a teams needs plus we already have A lot of rookies already
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I give them the Bucks pick,,geez how many picks does a teams needs plus we already have A lot of rookies already
I believe we'd have to clear a roster spot so I'd be fine with the Bucks pick (don't need a third guaranteed rookie deal next year) and Poirier going out for a rental.  With Theis, Kanter and Timelord all having injuries, TT would be worth that kind of rental

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2020, 01:34:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Problem is you need to send about $13 million in salary to get Thompson along with that pick and that's going to take moving Theis, Kanter and a couple of other guys besides that pick.

Boston is just a bad trading partner with Cleveland for Thompson because the C's won't include their top 5 players and probably aren't moving Grant and Langford, either. Which means a 4 for 1 trade which, most likely, includes sending out our 2 rotation centers.

Thompson isn't going to be traded to the Celtics.

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Maybe.

You didn't seem to have any problem including a game where Embiid played 34 minutes and Thompson had just 21.

Pot meet kettle.
I posted a link to their entire history, I didn't mention any games other than the 2 this year, which they played similar minutes in.  I did that for a reason because as you say, there is some imbalance in minutes in prior seasons.  The 3 games this year between Theis and Embiid the minutes aren't close at all.  I mean if you are going to criticize at least correctly criticize.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Maybe.

Pot meet kettle.
I posted a link to their entire history, I didn't mention any games other than the 2 this year, which they played similar minutes in.  I did that for a reason because as you say, there is some imbalance in minutes in prior seasons.  The 3 games this year between Theis and Embiid the minutes aren't close at all.  I mean if you are going to criticize at least correctly criticize.
Oh I correctly criticized, you're just spinning it, as always.

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Maybe.

Pot meet kettle.

lol. TP

I seem to recall that during the last Sixers game, Brad subbed out Theis whenever Embiid sits. Its why we were able to get away with Grant being our 5 that game.

Yes.  In the last Sixers game (Feb 1) Theis and Embiid were on the floor nearly every minute together.  Brad even commented that he made a point of trying to match minutes.

You can see this clearly in the on-off plus/minus charts at bb-ref:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/plus-minus/202002010BOS.html

Embiid scored just 4 points on 1 of 7 shooting while defended by Theis in this game.   To be fair, Embiid has been much more successful against Theis in the prior games.   But in this game, Theis shut him down.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Maybe.

Pot meet kettle.
Oh I correctly criticized, you're just spinning it, as always.
I specifically mentioned 2 games.  That is all.  Those 2 games show Thompson played well enough against Embiid in similar minutes (I certainly didn't analyze the on floor time with each).  I was commenting on the post that talked about 3 specific games.  In those 3 games there was a large minutes disparity in 2 of the 3 games.  There was no hypocrisy at all in my post.  There was no spin.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2020, 01:56:55 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Heat for example have many matching salaries they can unload and a few 2nds for him
LOL what seconds?

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Go look at how many seconds the Heat have already traded away! (the next 7 years it looks like to me  ;D)

Thanks for the realgm link. I'm not a TT guy.

Off topic?

What the heck is Ainge going to do with 3 first rounders and a second rounder this year?

I suppose an expiring contract guy in TT's category might be viewed as a chance to get something for some of the surplus of picks he has.