Author Topic: Tristan Thompson Buyout?  (Read 14366 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson Buyout?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
You bring him and before you know it we have kardashians seating front court . No thank you.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think he gets bought out at all.  I also see no reason why he would come to Boston.

Wouldn't him playing a prominent role on a top seed in the east that could surely use his skill set be pretty appealing to a guy about to enter free-agency?

As for him not being bought out, if they can get a second round pick or something for him, obviously they do that, but if not, what would be the point of keeping him? He arguably could help them win a game or two which would hurt their lottery pick. He is 9 years older than garland and sexton. Why would ownership not jump at chance to save a little money? Plus they already are trying to deal with Love and his albatross contract in the frontcourt.
Thompson is still just 28.  The Cavs love him and want to re-sign him as none of their young guys (other than Nance) are big guys.  He also hasn't asked to be traded, asked to be bought out, etc.  Now maybe that changes, but by most accounts Thompson actually likes Cleveland and likes playing for the Cavs.  I just don't see him getting bought out as all that likely.  Now a trade could certainly happen, especially as I think a lot of teams will be interested in a solid defender that rebounds and hustles and whose contract isn't terrible (18.5 million this year, so doable for most teams to acquire).

He is 29 in two months. Sexton turns 21 tomorrow. Garland turns 20 in a few weeks. You really think it makes sense for them to resign Thompson when he is 8-9 years older than their franchise cornerstones? You think Thompson wants to spend the last few years of his prime playing on 25 win teams with two raw young guards? Literally none of that makes any sense. The cavs can hopefully get a one player or pick for Love and hopefully can get a frontcourt player with their lottery pick this year. Also, how is 18.5 doable for most teams? Which contenders have assets to trade for him?
Thompson is the exact type of player young teams love to have.  He isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way, is well liked, etc.  There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back.  Now sure, maybe he wants to play for a contender down the line, but the Cavs can, and probably will, offer him more money than anyone else can reasonably offer.  And since Cleveland isn't going to be a real player in free agency for a few years, they won't hurt themselves by keeping on a solid veteran and citizen that is well liked and won't take playing time from their franchise cornerstones. 

Dallas, Miami, Toronto, Denver, Indiana, LAC can all easily acquire him without harming their cores that much.  Portland and Brooklyn could as well (not really top teams this year, but clearly not tanking teams either).  I also don't think Cleveland would be opposed to taking on future salary so a team could potentially use a Thompson trade to clear future salary.  Charlotte, for example, in a swap of Thompson for Zeller might make sense for both teams.  Zeller is cheaper, but has the extra year.  That is similar to what the Cavs did in the Clarkson for Exum swap.  Several teams might fit that type of trade partner for Cleveland including the Wolves (Dieng), Knicks (several players), Kings (several players), etc.

If Thompson becomes available, I think his market will be pretty strong.  And I don't mean strong enough to get a 1st, but strong enough to give the Cavs several trade options and enough to trade him where that makes far more sense then just buying him out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I don't think he gets bought out at all.  I also see no reason why he would come to Boston.

Wouldn't him playing a prominent role on a top seed in the east that could surely use his skill set be pretty appealing to a guy about to enter free-agency?

As for him not being bought out, if they can get a second round pick or something for him, obviously they do that, but if not, what would be the point of keeping him? He arguably could help them win a game or two which would hurt their lottery pick. He is 9 years older than garland and sexton. Why would ownership not jump at chance to save a little money? Plus they already are trying to deal with Love and his albatross contract in the frontcourt.
Thompson is still just 28.  The Cavs love him and want to re-sign him as none of their young guys (other than Nance) are big guys.  He also hasn't asked to be traded, asked to be bought out, etc.  Now maybe that changes, but by most accounts Thompson actually likes Cleveland and likes playing for the Cavs.  I just don't see him getting bought out as all that likely.  Now a trade could certainly happen, especially as I think a lot of teams will be interested in a solid defender that rebounds and hustles and whose contract isn't terrible (18.5 million this year, so doable for most teams to acquire).

He is 29 in two months. Sexton turns 21 tomorrow. Garland turns 20 in a few weeks. You really think it makes sense for them to resign Thompson when he is 8-9 years older than their franchise cornerstones? You think Thompson wants to spend the last few years of his prime playing on 25 win teams with two raw young guards? Literally none of that makes any sense. The cavs can hopefully get a one player or pick for Love and hopefully can get a frontcourt player with their lottery pick this year. Also, how is 18.5 doable for most teams? Which contenders have assets to trade for him?
Thompson is the exact type of player young teams love to have.  He isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way, is well liked, etc.  There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back.  Now sure, maybe he wants to play for a contender down the line, but the Cavs can, and probably will, offer him more money than anyone else can reasonably offer.  And since Cleveland isn't going to be a real player in free agency for a few years, they won't hurt themselves by keeping on a solid veteran and citizen that is well liked and won't take playing time from their franchise cornerstones. 

Dallas, Miami, Toronto, Denver, Indiana, LAC can all easily acquire him without harming their cores that much.  Portland and Brooklyn could as well (not really top teams this year, but clearly not tanking teams either).  I also don't think Cleveland would be opposed to taking on future salary so a team could potentially use a Thompson trade to clear future salary.  Charlotte, for example, in a swap of Thompson for Zeller might make sense for both teams.  Zeller is cheaper, but has the extra year.  That is similar to what the Cavs did in the Clarkson for Exum swap.  Several teams might fit that type of trade partner for Cleveland including the Wolves (Dieng), Knicks (several players), Kings (several players), etc.

If Thompson becomes available, I think his market will be pretty strong.  And I don't mean strong enough to get a 1st, but strong enough to give the Cavs several trade options and enough to trade him where that makes far more sense then just buying him out.

This bolded makes sense. The rest of your post does not. You really haven't answered why Thompson wants to spend the final 2-3 years of his prime on a lottery team aside from, maybe, money. However, you then suggest he is in hot demand (and tons of teams have cap space this year). Is your basic thesis here they are just going to overpay Thompson by some extreme amount to play on a lottery team for the end of his prime and not go after players that are not a decade older than their foundation pieces? Strange...

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 04:26:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thompson....isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way, is well liked, etc.  There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back. 
No reason in the world? You mean other than wanting to give a player that "isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way" a guaranteed $80-100 million?

So there is no chance that Cleveland wouldn't want to shell out 9 figures for a guy that even though he plays hard and in the right way isn't talented enough to make a difference in the win column at all?

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Wait...

Why do we want Tristan Thompson again?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 04:30:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Thompson....isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way, is well liked, etc.  There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back. 
No reason in the world? You mean other than wanting to give a player that "isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way" a guaranteed $80-100 million?

So there is no chance that Cleveland wouldn't want to shell out 9 figures for a guy that even though he plays hard and in the right way isn't talented enough to make a difference in the win column at all?

Lol Nick. This is my favorite post of the new year. TP

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? That is why context of the entire post I made matters and not just a small part.  There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless he starts to make a stink, which he hasn't done.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Why not keep him and sign and trade him next year?

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? That is why context of the entire post I made matters and not just a small part.  There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless he starts to make a stink, which he hasn't done.
Way to move goalposts. You said:

There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back.

Now you are only talking about:

so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? ...There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless...

YOU made the comment about not bringing him back that makes no logical sense. I just pointed it out. Why you are asking me about buying TT out, I do not know, because I was talking about Cleveland bringing him back, not buying him out.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:18:05 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

What are you gonna get for him? They should be under the cap, so a TPE wouldn't be an option. Would anyone give up a late first for him?

I guess they could probably get a first in exchange for him and taking on a bad contract
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? ...There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless...

YOU made the comment about not bringing him back that makes no logical sense. I just pointed it out. Why you are asking me about buying TT out, I do not know, because I was talking about Cleveland bringing him back, not buying him out.
It was in relation to whole line of posts with all sorts of context of why they wouldn't buy him out.  One of the many reasons is they actually might want to keep his rights to re-sign him themselves (they could also potentially sign and trade him if a team over the cap but below the tax wants him i.e. either LA team). 

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 10:11:46 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

What are you gonna get for him? They should be under the cap, so a TPE wouldn't be an option. Would anyone give up a late first for him?

I guess they could probably get a first in exchange for him and taking on a bad contract
We can send them a collection of youngish players we have no minutes for next year.

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 10:54:46 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I would love TT but we can't afford him. He has put the clamps on Horford the last 3-4 seasons prior to last season. Horford was dominating the Cavs the season b4 last until they put TT on him after the first 2 games. He has Al's number because IIRC he did it when Al was a Hawks too! Al can have a meh regular season but he tends to step it up in the playoffs until he meets TT. The defense TT put on Al was the true thing that cost a Jays carry to the finals. Al still performed well, but TT didn't allow him to be the force he was before they decided to dust TT off and play him!

If we could get a guy who can stifle Al's all-around game (playoffs especially) then it could hurt Philly when they ultimately try to split Al and Embiid up some games. Bringing Al off to run the bench. They have been at their best when only one of Embiid or Al are out there. 

Plus, Kanter and TT will swipe up all available rbs!

Oh well, it's a pipe dream, he'd have to be bought out and say screw you LBJ to join us.

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2020, 11:17:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Gotta say if Thompson is bought out, I gotta believe he will show Lebron some loyalty and sign on with the Lakers. Thompson only got his $82 million contract because Lebron told the Cavs to pay him. I think TT goes to help Lebron get another ring.

Of course, he is from Toronto. But he did also play college ball at Texas, so Dallas and Houston could be possibilities. Also, he might feel the Clippers have the best chance to win it all so possibly could sign there.

And yes, he could stay in Cleveland, if he doesn't price himself out of Cleveland. Not a lot of great free agents so Thompson could get someone to massively overpay for him, thinking TT could be a double double machine for them that plays tough defense. Just not sure Cleveland would want to invest huge money on Thompson. On a reasonable deal, yeah, he could definitely end up back in Cleveland.

Love on the other hand, he has to be gone ASAP, right?

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 12:31:48 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

It was in relation to whole line of posts with all sorts of context of why they wouldn't buy him out.  One of the many reasons is they actually might want to keep his rights to re-sign him themselves (they could also potentially sign and trade him if a team over the cap but below the tax wants him i.e. either LA team).

You could just admit it is really unlikely they resign a guy 10 years older than their key players in the prime of his career that is going to command 12-15 million a season. It was a bad concept to begin with and it hasn’t got any better with any of your explanations. In a normal year I think he would get traded easily, but a team like the lakers and many other contenders (including us) don’t have the salary slots to make a trade work