Author Topic: Tristan Thompson Buyout?  (Read 14369 times)

Tristan Thompson Buyout?
« on: January 03, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Was just listening to the Bill Simmons podcast and they were discussing Tristan Thompson as the perfect buyout guy for the Celtics. Do people think this is possible?

Re: Tristan Thompson Buyout?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Was just listening to the Bill Simmons podcast and they were discussing Tristan Thompson as the perfect buyout guy for the Celtics. Do people think this is possible?

Possibly but what are the odds nobody ponies up assets to trade for him at the deadline?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Possibly but what are the odds nobody ponies up assets to trade for him at the deadline?
I'd say pretty good. Someone would have to have an expendable contract lined up, plus have something with at least a little value. If you just look at contenders, it's a pretty small room of teams who would look at such a trade. I suspect most of Thompson's suitors would be teams in our situation.

IMO, the problem would be he'd likely want to go to one of the LA teams.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't think he gets bought out at all.  I also see no reason why he would come to Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 01:09:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I would think he is a lock to join his good friend LeBron in LA

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I don't think he gets bought out at all.  I also see no reason why he would come to Boston.

Wouldn't him playing a prominent role on a top seed in the east that could surely use his skill set be pretty appealing to a guy about to enter free-agency?

As for him not being bought out, if they can get a second round pick or something for him, obviously they do that, but if not, what would be the point of keeping him? He arguably could help them win a game or two which would hurt their lottery pick. He is 9 years older than garland and sexton. Why would ownership not jump at chance to save a little money? Plus they already are trying to deal with Love and his albatross contract in the frontcourt.

Not to mention 30 more losses could lead to a lot more of this... https://twitter.com/chase_shannon/status/120532312239785164
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:27:25 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:27:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Wouldn't him playing a prominent role on a top seed in the east that could surely use his skill set be pretty appealing to a guy about to enter free-agency?

As for him not being bought out, if they can get a second round pick or something for him, obviously they do that, but if not, what would be the point of keeping him? He arguably could help them win a game or two which would hurt their lottery pick. He is 9 years older than garland and sexton. Why would ownership not jump at chance to save a little money? Plus they already are trying to deal with Love and his albatross contract in the frontcourt.
Thompson is still just 28.  The Cavs love him and want to re-sign him as none of their young guys (other than Nance) are big guys.  He also hasn't asked to be traded, asked to be bought out, etc.  Now maybe that changes, but by most accounts Thompson actually likes Cleveland and likes playing for the Cavs.  I just don't see him getting bought out as all that likely.  Now a trade could certainly happen, especially as I think a lot of teams will be interested in a solid defender that rebounds and hustles and whose contract isn't terrible (18.5 million this year, so doable for most teams to acquire).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lebron would have a hissy fit

Lebron needs help on Lakers !

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 01:50:47 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Perhaps I’m not in touch but I don’t see how he would be much of an upgrade over what we have?  I don’t think he’s worth the potential locker room issues of getting someone like TT.

And I’m not suggesting that he’s a locker room issue himself.  But these are real people and having someone like  Thompson take playing time from Kanter and Theiss might not go over so well.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 01:55:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Perhaps I’m not in touch but I don’t see how he would be much of an upgrade over what we have?  I don’t think he’s worth the potential locker room issues of getting someone like TT.
He started out really hot, so people are overrating his impact. Take a look at his splits this year:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thomptr01/splits/2020

His play has normalized since then to a more reasonable level. I agree I don't think he's a big upgrade over Theis or Kanter. Though given our other two Cs are unknown and injured I'd like to have someone like him.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Nope

Cavs worst case will get a couple of 2nds imo

Heat for example have many matching salaries they can unload and a few 2nds for him

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 01:59:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Thompson is still just 28.  The Cavs love him and want to re-sign him as none of their young guys (other than Nance) are big guys.  He also hasn't asked to be traded, asked to be bought out, etc.  Now maybe that changes, but by most accounts Thompson actually likes Cleveland and likes playing for the Cavs.  I just don't see him getting bought out as all that likely.  Now a trade could certainly happen, especially as I think a lot of teams will be interested in a solid defender that rebounds and hustles and whose contract isn't terrible (18.5 million this year, so doable for most teams to acquire).

He is 29 in two months. Sexton turns 21 tomorrow. Garland turns 20 in a few weeks. You really think it makes sense for them to resign Thompson when he is 8-9 years older than their franchise cornerstones? You think Thompson wants to spend the last few years of his prime playing on 25 win teams with two raw young guards? Literally none of that makes any sense. The cavs can hopefully get a one player or pick for Love and hopefully can get a frontcourt player with their lottery pick this year. Also, how is 18.5 doable for most teams? Which contenders have assets to trade for him?

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Heat for example have many matching salaries they can unload and a few 2nds for him
LOL what seconds?

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Go look at how many seconds the Heat have already traded away! (the next 7 years it looks like to me  ;D)

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 02:11:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'd say pretty good. Someone would have to have an expendable contract lined up, plus have something with at least a little value. If you just look at contenders, it's a pretty small room of teams who would look at such a trade. I suspect most of Thompson's suitors would be teams in our situation.

IMO, the problem would be he'd likely want to go to one of the LA teams.

I don’t think the Cavs will require an expiring contract if they get the right draft compensation in return.  The free agent market is very weak this summer, and the Cavs just took on money next year in Exum to get two 2nds.  I feel they’d take a guy with a year left.

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 02:21:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I’d definitely give a late 1st.