Author Topic: Is There A Center We Can Trade BBD For?  (Read 9797 times)

Is There A Center We Can Trade BBD For?
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
First off, do sign and trades still exist? And if so, is there a trade anyone can visualize that might involve Big Baby that would bring back a veteran center? I would love to see a sign and trade involving Davis that brought in Ben Wallace. He’s a perfect 15-20 minute backup that is still active on the glass and can defend. I think he’d be solid next to KG or JO.

Would Dumars consider something like this?

Re: Is There A Center We Can Trade BBD For?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:48:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
First off, do sign and trades still exist? And if so, is there a trade anyone can visualize that might involve Big Baby that would bring back a veteran center? I would love to see a sign and trade involving Davis that brought in Ben Wallace. He’s a perfect 15-20 minute backup that is still active on the glass and can defend. I think he’d be solid next to KG or JO.

I doubt the numbers could work out: Wallace's contract is only for a couple million, meaning Davis' new deal would have to be fairly cheap, and I doubt he'd settle for peanuts.

If we're looking at Detroit's roster, I'd ask after Maxiell. I've always loved his energy in the paint and his chippiness.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:42 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I doubt the numbers could work out: Wallace's contract is only for a couple million, meaning Davis' new deal would have to be fairly cheap, and I doubt he'd settle for peanuts.

If we're looking at Detroit's roster, I'd ask after Maxiell. I've always loved his energy in the paint and his chippiness.

Detroit is enough under the cap to absorb the difference between BBD and Wallace's salary.

I like Maxiell too for the same reasons, and if his salary didn't cut into 2012 cap space I would agree with you about inquiring about him.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:39:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ben Wallace might retire rather than leave Detroit.

Trading Glen Davis for something useful will probably require sending out a draft pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
totally off topic...just saw big baby today at the south end where i live, and my god he looks so much slimmer

not that i love big baby, but for some odd reason i think hes actually working hard to get in shape this time

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:55:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Ben Wallace might retire rather than leave Detroit.

Trading Glen Davis for something useful will probably require sending out a draft pick.

A phone call from KG, Doc and paul could change that, though. Davis for Wallace really makes sense for both teams, but I agree that Big Ben make need to be recruited.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:24:39 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think you are allowed to recruit players under contract to another team like that.  I don't know why the Pistons would want Glen Davis.  Did Big Baby play well enough last season to make Lawrence Frank want to bring him into Detroit?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:31:45 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I don't think you are allowed to recruit players under contract to another team like that.  I don't know why the Pistons would want Glen Davis.  Did Big Baby play well enough last season to make Lawrence Frank want to bring him into Detroit?

That's not what I said. After the trade goes through the recruiting can begin if he threatens to retire.

Now that's a whole other question and it's part of what I posed in my OP. Quite honestly, I don't see why any team in the NBA would want BBD at this point. He doesn't want to play the role he is destined for in this league. But he is young and has some experience, so with a short contract he might make more sense than Wallace there in Detriot as a potential trading chip down the line after stat inflation.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 04:46:24 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Any moves made this offseason have to be for short term guys that will either expire by next year or be for REALLY low money.

I'd rather miss the playoffs this year than go two & out then be stuck with overpaid role players.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Wallace is a tweener and too short.  It's one thing when your young and have springy legs.  Now he is just an old guy who can push with his upper body.   He is a short 6-9 too being actually only 6-7.

He is somewhat undersized for a center, being listed at 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m), 240 lb., a frame statistically resembling more of a forward; he himself admits his actual height is 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wallace

He is 37.   What is the obsession with the old guys here?

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:30 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
totally off topic...just saw big baby today at the south end where i live, and my god he looks so much slimmer

not that i love big baby, but for some odd reason i think hes actually working hard to get in shape this time
The odd reason probably is that he doesn't  have a contract?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
In the past, Danny has had some interest in Andris Biedrins from Golden State. He 7 foot, talented, and only 25 y/o. His contract is for 2 or 3 more years at ~9 million per. Would GS make this trade? In a heart beat. Would Danny? Who knows. Biedrins is talented, but injury prone. After the Perk / Shaq / JO injury-debacle last year, I believe Danny would want someone that he could count on.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Is there any player we could trade Big Baby for? I think his value is extremely extremely low if anything at all...

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:32:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
In the past, Danny has had some interest in Andris Biedrins from Golden State. He 7 foot, talented, and only 25 y/o. His contract is for 2 or 3 more years at ~9 million per. Would GS make this trade? In a heart beat. Would Danny? Who knows. Biedrins is talented, but injury prone. After the Perk / Shaq / JO injury-debacle last year, I believe Danny would want someone that he could count on.

Mk

He has the mental stability of a 6 year old red headed step child as well.
In all seriousness, he has psychological issues (depression, low self esteem) and can't take criticism very well. He's not aggressive, just extremely touchy/feely. Dunno how that would fly with KG/Doc and some of the old guys.

I wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
What about A.Gray in NO?