Author Topic: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11  (Read 18573 times)

Re: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 08:38:00 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Good for IT, but this doesn’t make him the “bigger” person over Pierce. It’s just logical, considering the video could have been played while he was in Boston-regardless if he played or not (it’s the gesture that mattered). It was the organization’s fault for even letting it be a IT vs Pierce thing in the first place.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:07 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

I mean, I never thought he'd be that sensitive over having some 2-3 minute tribute video for Isaiah that night.

Seemed to me that once Pierce made those comments, that's what made Isaiah sort of cave in with his tweet today.

Obviously it's Pierce's night on Feb. 11, but would a 2-3 minute Isaiah tribute video have really splashed water on Pierce's night, especially if that video was played during a TV timeout or something??

Idk man... this whole thing is confusing.

Yeah. I never imagined that he was so insecure.

I guess IT did the “right thing”, but I can’t believe that it came to this.

Paul deserves a night to himself and IT shoulda known better.  IT is the insecure one here, as he's been showing since his trade.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Am I the only one who is actually disappointed a little in Pierce with all this too?

I mean, I never thought he'd be that sensitive over having some 2-3 minute tribute video for Isaiah that night.

Seemed to me that once Pierce made those comments, that's what made Isaiah sort of cave in with his tweet today.

Obviously it's Pierce's night on Feb. 11, but would a 2-3 minute Isaiah tribute video have really splashed water on Pierce's night, especially if that video was played during a TV timeout or something??

Exactly. I wasn't intending to start a whole heated argument by stating that, but it did surprise me how Pierce seemed to handle the situation (acting insecure).

Probably took Isaiah by surprise as well to be honest.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Why? It's his night. I think its weird that 1.) A player gets to dictate when a tribute video is shown  2.) A player who's meant as much to this team as Pierce has to share his retirement night with a player who hasn't had a fraction of the franchise success he's had.

Honestly, IT should've just let them play the video a few weeks ago. The whole thing of wanting to have his family there for it was a bit much - it's a 2-3 minute tribute video, not a jersey retirement.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
I’m really trying to understand all the “Paul is insecure blah..blah...blah..” Do you guys think the Lakers organization would have attempted a stunt like that on Kobe’s night? No! Matter of fact the fans wouldn’t have it. I like IT, but let’s be for real about his contributions vs Pierce’s..it’s not even a debate.

Any other former player would get called out if they made the requests that IT did.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Why? It's his night. I think its weird that 1.) A player gets to dictate when a tribute video is shown  2.) A player who's meant as much to this team as Pierce has to share his retirement night with a player who hasn't had a fraction of the franchise success he's had.

Honestly, IT should've just let them play the video a few weeks ago. The whole thing of wanting to have his family there for it was a bit much - it's a 2-3 minute tribute video, not a jersey retirement.

Yeah I can agree with the bolded part. It did seem like too much. Just fly your family in, IT.

That is quite the jump.

Sad to see people disparaging one of the C's all time greats because a tribute video on his first return just wasn't good enough for IT.

None of this would have played out if IT said, don't play the video this time, but next time (knowing for sure what date that was).

Sad to see the disrespect of a legend around here.

How is that disrespecting a legend? He still has his night regardless, right?

To be fair, even some of Pierce's ESPN colleagues seemed surprised Pierce felt that way about the whole situation. He did look a little insecure. I think you can watch the video of him saying all that on Youtube as well.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
https://twitter.com/isaiahthomas/status/953427146114043905

He does not want to cause further issues with Pierce.

Good for IT for being the bigger man in this.

Redeemed himself in my mind.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I’m really trying to understand all the “Paul is insecure blah..blah...blah..” Do you guys think the Lakers organization would have attempted a stunt like that on Kobe’s night? No! Matter of fact the fans wouldn’t have it. I like IT, but let’s be for real about his contributions vs Pierce’s..it’s not even a debate.

Any other former player would get called out if they made the requests that IT did.

Exactly. 

And quite frankly, its crazy to me that people are claiming he's insecure. If that were true, than Banner 17 wouldn't be in the rafters because his ego wouldn't have been able to share the light with KG and Ray.

Guys, this is one the most stories franchises in all of sports. Getting your number in the rafters next to Russell, Bird, Cousy - that's a heck of a career acheivement. To etch your name amongst those greats, it's very likely the most special moment of his career. Paul has earned the right be selfish, IMO.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:46 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

Yeah I can agree with the bolded part. It did seem like too much. Just fly your family in, IT.

That is quite the jump.

Sad to see people disparaging one of the C's all time greats because a tribute video on his first return just wasn't good enough for IT.

None of this would have played out if IT said, don't play the video this time, but next time (knowing for sure what date that was).

Sad to see the disrespect of a legend around here.

How is that disrespecting a legend? He still has his night regardless, right?

To be fair, even some of Pierce's ESPN colleagues seemed surprised Pierce felt that way about the whole situation. He did look a little insecure. I think you can watch the video of him saying all that on Youtube as well.

I hardly consider Pierce's reaction as insecure.  He was asked a question and he answered it honestly.  Honestly speaking, I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of it.  He didn't say I don't want it to happen, he just said, if you're asking me, I'm answering. 

And truth is if it was the first time IT was coming back I don't think Paul or anyone has anything to say, but it isn't.

IT asked for it to be changed.  Thats both self serving, and self centered.  So lets ease up on Paul here, when IT's request is almost unheard of.   Especially for a guy who's been here for 15 minutes, in the grand scheme of things.  I mean, really, can you think of another player thats ever done that.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's refreshing to read some nice comments about IT.  Been a long time since I've seen that here.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's refreshing to read some nice comments about IT.  Been a long time since I've seen that here.

That is so far from the truth.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
no brainer...he really had no choice. A little to little to late. Still infused himself in what should have been all about Pierce.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:27 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell

Exactly. 

And quite frankly, its crazy to me that people are claiming he's insecure. If that were true, than Banner 17 wouldn't be in the rafters because his ego wouldn't have been able to share the light with KG and Ray.

Guys, this is one the most stories franchises in all of sports. Getting your number in the rafters next to Russell, Bird, Cousy - that's a heck of a career acheivement. To etch your name amongst those greats, it's very likely the most special moment of his career. Paul has earned the right be selfish, IMO.

Right. I can see if this was IT’s first time coming to Boston, but it wasn’t. I just think the organization goofed this more than IT and Pierce.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Insecure? Does he feel unsafe or unassured? Am I not allowed to feel disappointed when my bestman plays a tribute to one of his friends during my own bachelor's party, esp because said friend of his asked him to?

Its ridiculous. Of course IT will retract his request, he doesnt have the majority backing in this one. He might have not meant any harm, but so does Pierce. That's why it was awkward and IT either shouldve just let the video play last time, or approached PP first.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

LOL

I mean if you read above, I'm not alone it seems.