Author Topic: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11  (Read 18461 times)

Re: IT asks Celtics NOT to play video tribute on 2/11
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It was 2.5 seasons though.  He doesn't deserve a video tribute.  Neither did Crowder, Bradley, or Olynyk.  This video tribute nonsense has reached comical levels.
I have no problem with the (minute long) video tribute. He had a season of historic proportions, and single-handedly steered the team around. It's not like we're inducting him in the team's hall of fame, or anything. But his constant yapping and desire to control the process leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

You're being honored by the franchise that gave the NBA Larry Bird, Bill Russell, and multiple other all-time greats. Show a little humility.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It was 2.5 seasons though.  He doesn't deserve a video tribute.  Neither did Crowder, Bradley, or Olynyk.  This video tribute nonsense has reached comical levels.

What do you think the minimum threshold should be to earn a video tribute?
I don't think there is a minimum per se.  For example, if KG came here won a title in year 1, got hurt in year 2, and never played again for the C's, I would think a video would have made sense in that situation.  Thomas played 2.5 seasons and was 2-3 in playoff series, wasn't a MVP, etc.  He had some nice seasons and the ECF appearance last year was nice, but I just don't see his tenure as something that should be honored in any real way.  Crowder, Bradley, and Olynyk were all here longer than IT, but they are all much worse players and aren't worthy of a special honor because they just weren't good enough. 

When you honor everyone, you honor no one.  Video tributes should be an honor, you shouldn't just hand them out like candy on Halloween.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I don't think there is a minimum per se.  For example, if KG came here won a title in year 1, got hurt in year 2, and never played again for the C's, I would think a video would have made sense in that situation.  Thomas played 2.5 seasons and was 2-3 in playoff series, wasn't a MVP, etc.  He had some nice seasons and the ECF appearance last year was nice, but I just don't see his tenure as something that should be honored in any real way.  Crowder, Bradley, and Olynyk were all here longer than IT, but they are all much worse players and aren't worthy of a special honor because they just weren't good enough. 

When you honor everyone, you honor no one.  Video tributes should be an honor, you shouldn't just hand them out like candy on Halloween.

I agree.

I would convey this message somehow to IT if I were Danny.

Dear IT, I'm sorry that I traded you and hurt your feelings. You put it out there on the line and you feel like you weren't compensated by the Celtics like you wanted to be. At some point (I know its hard) you are going to have to realize that there are better players than you. Lebron (the big guy on your team) is better than you. Anthony Davis is better than you. Kyrie Irving is better than you. I acquired you by trading Marcus Thornton and a pick that became Skal Labissiere. I traded you and pieces for Kyrie frickin Irving. This clearly hurt your feelings, as it would many of us. What you fail to see is that I made a huge profit on these two trades. That is my job.

It's not about you. It's about team. It's about championships. That is what we celebrate here in Boston. I hope that you understand this sooner than later. I want the rest of your career to go well, and I hope you sign with a winner. Thank you for your time here. Last year's playoff run was fun to watch. We appreciate you and would love to celebrate you with a video at another time (maybe this year in the playoffs- how cool would that be). That is going to have to work for you. You can ask me again to show/not show a quick video, but I really don't care. You were part of our past, and we'd like to remember you fondly. Let's move on to the next chapter with mutual respect and composure. IT the player deserves to be remembered like this.

-Danny (aka the best GM in the league)

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

I'm fine with a guy who played with the Celtics, even as a somewhat minor role such as KO or Crowder getting a minute of praise from the Garden Faithful, it's a classy thing to do and it makes players feel appreciated.. Nothing wrong with that.
I said from day 1 that IT should not get a tribute during Pauls night, I do think Paul is being a Diva but at the end of the day it's on IT.
As others mentioned he should have accepted his video on the game he was here but didn't play. It would have been a minute long, he would have got a standing O for a minute and the entire thing would have been over and done with.
"I want my family to be there to see it" Too bad bro, fly them out that night if you care that much.

Now IT has come to his senses and said it's Pauls night.. that was after he said he didnt think it was a big deal if he shared the night with Paul.

Give me a break, the whole thing is unnecessary Kardashian drama at the end of the day. But IT trashed Ainge on his way out, talked crap about our trainers etc. etc. Then he feels he can dictate his own tribute video. You were a good player IT but get real, we've moved on.

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't understand why they didn't play the video tribute at that Cavs game recently when IT was on the bench? What's the difference if he wasn't playing? He was there. That was the first screwup.

The second screwup was they want to play it on the night of Pierce's tribute. What? So Pierce chimes in and says no thanks. And IT say no thanks, too.

Who is running the Celtics PR? Or should I say who formerly was running the Celtics PR? LOL.

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2018, 11:11:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't understand that either, and neither does Pierce. And I think he's got the right take here:

"[Thomas] had a shot to be honored," Pierce told ESPN on Tuesday. "You came to Boston. Whether you are playing or not, you should have had your tribute then. I just don't see how, if someone is having a jersey retirement, they're going to be running other tributes for other players.

"Danny [Ainge] tried to sell me on it, but I told him, 'He had a shot, Danny, and he punked you on it. He pretty much dictated everything.' They let it happen because they felt sorry how [trading him to the Cavaliers] went down. It's guilt. That's what it is."
http://www.weei.com/blogs/ty-anderson/paul-pierce-says-celtics-were-giving-tribute-isaiah-thomas-out-guilt
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pierce is being classless

He doesnt wants "claps" being wasted

And to bad mouth IT4 ... Cmon Paul

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Who is running the Celtics PR? Or should I say who formerly was running the Celtics PR? LOL.

That's who's at fault. It should have NEVER gotten to the point where either person had to make a public statement. It should have never gotten to the point where PP is made to look like the "jerk" for wanting his night just to him.  Ainge didn't make it any better with his interview of how it wasn't going to be a problem having both..etc., obviously it was a problem.

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Rondo being a class act as usual

Bill Doyle: Rajon Rondo was irked to hear that the Celtics would honor Isaiah Thomas on any night. “What has he done?” Rondo asked. Told that he led the Celtics to the conference finals last year, Rondo remarked, “Oh, that’s what we celebrate around here?” 1 hour ago – via Twitter BillDoyle15

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Look I get why Pierce and Rondo are irked.... But them badmouthing IT4 is not necessary

IT4 did have his chance for a tribute video ... But now that moment has/will pass

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Rondo being a class act as usual

Bill Doyle: Rajon Rondo was irked to hear that the Celtics would honor Isaiah Thomas on any night. “What has he done?” Rondo asked. Told that he led the Celtics to the conference finals last year, Rondo remarked, “Oh, that’s what we celebrate around here?” 1 hour ago – via Twitter BillDoyle15

Classy? No.

Is he right? Yup.

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

After he quit on the team, skipped games and stopped playing defense he doesn’t have a lot of room to critique others. 

IT loved playing here and gave his heart and soul to this team. That’s what we’d be celebrating. 

If anybody didn’t deserve a tribute video, it’s Rondo, based upon the way that he dogged it on his way out of town.

We can be butt hurt about Rondo's comment, but don't act like that man didn't help contribute to the success of the Celtics. 2013 wasn't his best year with the Celtics and he had some very immature and head scratching moments, but there's no need to have selective memories of what Rondo did for the Celtics (and the community). At this point we're just being fanboys for our favorite players.

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I don't understand why they didn't play the video tribute at that Cavs game recently when IT was on the bench? What's the difference if he wasn't playing? He was there. That was the first screwup.

The second screwup was they want to play it on the night of Pierce's tribute. What? So Pierce chimes in and says no thanks. And IT say no thanks, too.

Well they wanted to play it when he recently was in Boston but IT asked them to play the video tribute another time, as 1) he wasn't playing that night, and 2) his family, supposedly, couldn't make it to Boston for the tribute. The Celtics agreed and decided not to play the video that night.

I fully agree that it was a screwup to move the IT tribute to the next Cavs game knowing that it was Pierce's tribute. In my opinion, they should just move the tribute to the next game vs. the Cavs (after Pierce's tribute), which potentially could be in the playoffs.

In the end, it all boils down to guilt. Danny Ainge feels bad for how he traded IT given how much he gave the Celtics while playing here, hence he wanted IT to have his tribute on Pierce's night.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:49:20 AM by TA9 »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Thankfully someone finally told IT what it means to be a Celtic.

Bravo Rondo!!

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Personally, I think the premise of Rondo's quote is right. Video tributes shouldn't be handed out that easily. However, after giving video tributes to the likes of Jae Crowder and Kelly Olynyk, you really can't deny IT a video tribute. He is the most deserving of the three guys mentioned here.
Jack of all trades, master of none.