Author Topic: Could LeBron be had in a sign and trade?  (Read 1521 times)

Could LeBron be had in a sign and trade?
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If LeBron James decides to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers, most observers believe a sign-and-trade would be the likely way it would happen.

That way, James could sign a six-year, $127 million deal instead of a five-year, $97 million deal. Under the rules of a collective bargaining agreement, teams can re-sign their own free agent to an additional year and offer bigger raises (10.5 percent instead of eight percent) after each year.

Why would the Cavaliers, or any team in that position, reward a departing player by enabling him to earn roughly an extra $30 million? Well, the main reason is it allows a team to get something in return instead of losing a player for nothing.

But according to an ESPN report, the Cavaliers don't intend to do a sign-and-trade with James. If he decides to leave, the report says Cleveland management will simply let him walk, leaving that extra cash on the table.

That's not good for James' bank account, but it's good news for the Bulls. Instead of surrendering assets to the Cavaliers in a trade, they can simply sign James outright. It also would eliminate any team - like the Dallas Mavericks - that doesn't have the necessary room under the salary cap to offer a maximum contract.

If Cleveland feels they're on the verge of losing James wouldn't they agree to a sign and trade? If they lose James outright this would set the franchise back many years. And in a sign and trade scenario we would have more trade assets, if we would be willing to trade Rondo, than any of the teams with cap room.

So if we were willing to offer, let's say, Rondo, Sheed's contract, 3M cash (so Sheed can be bought out), multiple draft picks, and even Davis, wouldn't that be enough to sweeten the deal? James would play in a major city, with a real chance to win a title (KG, a re-signed PP and R.Allen, Perk, the MLE, TA, Bradley, Nate, etc.), and would get more money than he would on the open market.

Re: Could LeBron be had in a sign and trade?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think there is not a chance that CLE does a S&T with Lebron.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think they're bluffing on that, but they'll only S&T him to a team with enough cap room to sign him anyways.

They'll try to grab picks and change back once he's as good as gone anyways.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I know that's there stance on the situation now, but what if they were presented with an offer that included a 24 year old all-star PG?

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I know that's there stance on the situationnow, but what if they were presented with an offer that included a 24 year old all-star PG?
They'll still say no unless LeBron has the option of already signing a deal with that team.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I know that's there stance on the situationnow, but what if they were presented with an offer that included a 24 year old all-star PG?
They'll still say no unless LeBron has the option of already signing a deal with that team.

The only thing they can say from a PR standpoint is that they won't S & T him. This way they appear loyal and put all the pressure on LeBron to return that loyalty. It's a wise strategy as opposed to saying, "Sure, we'll deal him for the right players".

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I think they're bluffing on that, but they'll only S&T him to a team with enough cap room to sign him anyways.

They'll try to grab picks and change back once he's as good as gone anyways.
Agreed