Author Topic: Thabeet or Yi?  (Read 1926 times)

Thabeet or Yi?
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Since we all know that Perk is out, who shall we take as a backup center. And everyone is speculating and questioning if we are in rebuilding mode? rebuild around Rondo

I think we should get two real bigs, 7 footers. Personally i like watching Thabeet and Yi. People say they are busts but I see differently.

Thabeet's offensive game I'm not so sure about but I've seen him play defense, can grab rebounds.

Yi on the other hand has a good range jumper, can shoot 3s, and grab rebounds. But have a very poor defensive skill and post game. However, for a 7 footer, he is pretty fast for his size.

Now KG has 1 more year left in his deal, imagine what Thabeet and Yi can get if KG takes them under his wings. I mean look at the improvement Leon Powe and Big Baby Davis got from KG. And BOTH are undersized PF. Both emerged as quick, defensive and good offensive player.

Now the problem with that is against taller and lengthier players like Gasol and Bynum, its hard to grab rebounds over them.

With either Thabeet or Yi who are 7 footers and have amazing lengths, can provide a better rebounder and offensive game. Now if they pack up a little bit more weight, they can probably play Center as well. I mean Dwight Howard came into the league as a skinny Center, now look at him. Definitely possible.

Don't get me wrong, I love Leon Powe and Big Baby, but they are undersized and have a chance of getting blocked easily. Admit it, Big  Baby gets blocked a lot when going against a lot of bigs.

If we do choose not to rebuild now, than i prefer signing Shaq than Brad Miller. Hate seeing Brad Miller and would definitely hate seeing Brad in a celtics uniform =\

Re: Thabeet or Yi?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Since we all know that Perk is out, who shall we take as a backup center. And everyone is speculating and questioning if we are in rebuilding mode? rebuild around Rondo

I think we should get two real bigs, 7 footers. Personally i like watching Thabeet and Yi. People say they are busts but I see differently.

Thabeet's offensive game I'm not so sure about but I've seen him play defense, can grab rebounds.

Yi on the other hand has a good range jumper, can shoot 3s, and grab rebounds. But have a very poor defensive skill and post game. However, for a 7 footer, he is pretty fast for his size.

Now KG has 1 more year left in his deal, imagine what Thabeet and Yi can get if KG takes them under his wings. I mean look at the improvement Leon Powe and Big Baby Davis got from KG. And BOTH are undersized PF. Both emerged as quick, defensive and good offensive player.

Now the problem with that is against taller and lengthier players like Gasol and Bynum, its hard to grab rebounds over them.

With either Thabeet or Yi who are 7 footers and have amazing lengths, can provide a better rebounder and offensive game. Now if they pack up a little bit more weight, they can probably play Center as well. I mean Dwight Howard came into the league as a skinny Center, now look at him. Definitely possible.

Don't get me wrong, I love Leon Powe and Big Baby, but they are undersized and have a chance of getting blocked easily. Admit it, Big  Baby gets blocked a lot when going against a lot of bigs.

If we do choose not to rebuild now, than i prefer signing Shaq than Brad Miller. Hate seeing Brad Miller and would definitely hate seeing Brad in a celtics uniform =\

Thabeet just came off a rookie year where he wasn't expected to do much (they knew they were drafting a project) and Yi just got traded today...

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Neither one.

With emphasis. Yi is a total bust, and Thabeet is a LONG way from contributing at the NBA level.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
yeh but Thabeet really don't have much playing time anyways, Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol is already taking up a lot of minutes, I don't think Thabeet will get much playing time. I mean I doubt he'll get much playing time here as well but at least he'll be a better project for us than Patrick O'Bryant. And at the moment, yes I know Yi just got traded to the Wizards but I don't see his importance in the Wizards. Everyone is already saying he's a bust. But someone who can have 20 10 game from time to time isn't so much of a bust to me. Yeh he's been inconsistent in the Nets and Bucks, but hey he can have big games. I think if he gets better taught and trained he can be good

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Neither one.

With emphasis. Yi is a total bust, and Thabeet is a LONG way from contributing at the NBA level.

Yi is a total bust is terms of what? He's 22! I beg to differ, he's not an All-star (and maybe not even a starter) but he's a solid NBA player for sure.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Please. The guy plays zero defense whatsoever, has nothing but a perimeter shot.

Ainge picking him would have been a total disaster.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
its not like Big Baby was a great defensive player to begin with when he came with Ray Allen in the trade deal.

My point was, if KG can transform BBD and Leon Powe into a starter material, he could do the same with Yi and Yi could be more promising cuz of his height and speed

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
The pattern for the Celtics since the big 3 was assembled is this...guys who come to Boston with a bad rep defensively seemed to become at least average defenders. Or in the case of Ray Allen, he blossomed into a good defender. Another example is Marbury, I remember this board endlessly criticizing his defense when we signed him. He turned out to be just fine. Not stellar, but not a liability. I have no doubts that Yi will be just fine as well. Strength is the only thing that concerns me but that can be fixed. He has the length and the athleticism, and those can't be taught. I would love for Danny to go get this guy. Maybe trade Sheed's contract for him?
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Neither one.

Yi is a total bust is terms of what? He's 22! I beg to differ, he's not an All-star (and maybe not even a starter) but he's a solid NBA player for sure.
Yi is a very poor NBA player but he may still be salvageable. Unlikely but possible.

Yi = bad player = very poor defensive player + horribly inefficient offensively (TS% of 48%)

------------------------------------------

Thabeet is a solid player already and he has very good potential.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
its not like Big Baby was a great defensive player to begin with when he came with Ray Allen in the trade deal.

My point was, if KG can transform BBD and Leon Powe into a starter material, he could do the same with Yi and Yi could be more promising cuz of his height and speed

KG can't perform heart transplants.   He can only do so much.   Some guys like Patrick O'Bryant just fall flat on their face when they are here.   Yi just seems a little soft to me content with who he is now.  Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure if I would want to take a chance on him given our short window.  Anthony Randolph on the other hand...  

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

true, but everyone is talking about "big free agents this summer" i'm just speculating that we do not land a big free agent, we can at least get someone who we can train up for when the big 3 retires
KG can't perform heart transplants.   He can only do so much.   Some guys like Patrick O'Bryant just fall flat on their face when they are here.   Yi just seems a little soft to me content with who he is now.  Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure if I would want to take a chance on him given our short window.  Anthony Randolph on the other hand...