Author Topic: Ideas in case of Apocalypse  (Read 4788 times)

Ideas in case of Apocalypse
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the Dominoes fall in the worst possible way it will be rebuilding time. If Doc decides not to coach does Pierce stay? Maybe not. If Pierce leaves does Ray stay? probably not. If Ray Paul and Doc leave what does KG do? I think he demands a trade or retires.

Now I really hope that Doc, Paul and Ray all stay so we can have one last run at things, but if we are to rebuild here are some ideas as to how we should do it.

Scenario 1: KG Retires after the other members of the big 3 leave.
Now the temptation here will be to sign a max free agent. However, with only Perk, Rondo and Baby remaining from the contending teams I'm not sure players will want to sign with us.
We could trade KG to a team looking to shed a lot of bad contracts, but we don't want to be saddled with that many bad deals.
A team without KG, Sheed, Ray, Pierce and Perk (for most of the year) would be very bad. But we'd have one of the best young pgs in the game a high draft pick and a boatload of cash heading into next year. The next option is the more appealing one.

Scenario 2: We trade KG, once everyone else leaves.
Kg decides he doesn't want to retire. He has a no trade clause and can decide where he goes. I think he would accept a trade back to Minnesota, to finish his career where he started it.

Minnesota really wants to trade Big Al so we would offer him for KG straight up. This works because Minnesota is so far under the cap that they could absorb the salary differences. Even though they could, they probably wouldn't want to.
With the addition of Martel Webster and Wesley Johnson, Corey Brewer has just become expendable. So a Corey Brewer and Big Al for KG trade would work.

Our lineup becomes
5-Perk (once healthy)
4-Big Al/Big Baby
3-Brewer
2-Bradley
1-Rondo

Is this team a playoff team? probably not but who knows. Is this team young and exciting? You betcha. This is also a team that could keep the winning Celtics defense going. Rondo and Perk are established great defensive players. Brewer is also very good, Bradley comes into the NBA with the reputation as a very good defender. Maybe the good defense would become contagious. This team would get stops, run the break and finish at the rim.

I don't want the big 3 to leave, but if they do this wouldn't be a bad alternative.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Ideas in case of Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I say load up on canned goods and twinkies.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
Wow, Wow, Wow!  I am not going to lie, but this looks like a 25 win team, max. 

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Wow, Wow, Wow!  I am not going to lie, but this looks like a 25 win team, max. 

If Paul, and Ray leave we're gonna go into rebuilding mode regardless of if we can move KG. If we go into rebuilding mode I am less concerned with wins than putting together a young exciting team that shows promise. 25 wins would net us a nice pick next year to add to that young nucleus.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
How about a quasi-apocalypse scenario where KG's knee and whatever else ails him make him decide to retire.  Would Minni give us Big Al and Brewer for KG in that scenario?  Probably not but I actually kind of like Brewer playing behind PP and even though I have doubts about Al J, I think he could potentially contribute as much as a gimpy KG (although certainly less than a healthy KG).

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
How about a quasi-apocalypse scenario where KG's knee and whatever else ails him make him decide to retire.  Would Minni give us Big Al and Brewer for KG in that scenario?  Probably not but I actually kind of like Brewer playing behind PP and even though I have doubts about Al J, I think he could potentially contribute as much as a gimpy KG (although certainly less than a healthy KG).
I think they would trade both Al and Brewer plus a 1st to us if it meant taking no salary back (KG would retire in Mn and would come off the books as soon as he did).

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
If somehow we lost all 3 of our stars in one offseason, this is certainly the offseason to do it. This is the only time in the history of the NBA where you have 2-5 franchise players on the market for the taking in their prime.

IF (a humongous if) we lost all of our stars you want to say pass on all of them and stock our team with young players? I dont get the logic. When teams are rebuilding they are desperately trying to draft the next LeBron, Wade, Dirk, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudamire, Chris Bosh etc.

If we could get one of those guys here that would be option number one IMO.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

KG can demand a trade all he wants, nobody is trading for him. Gilbert Arena might have more trade value.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

KG can demand a trade all he wants, nobody is trading for him. Gilbert Arena might have more trade value.

Gilbert Arenas has like 5 years left on his contract. KG has 2, he would have value if traded for a contract that last longer than his.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
So you want to hit the reset button and essentially return to '07 only without Pierce?

Awwwwweeesome.

Just awesome.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
So you want to hit the reset button and essentially return to '07 only without Pierce?

Awwwwweeesome.

Just awesome.

trade Ray for Green and KG for Big Al and see what would have happened if Pierce had demanded out.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 01:04:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Awwwwweeesome.

Just awesome.

No, No, No. I want Doc to stay, I want to resign Ray and have Pierce play out his contract. I want us to sign a big and a wing for the MLE. However, if these things don't happen I was bringing up a different plan.

If Ray Paul and Doc leave we are rebuilding. Do I want this to happen? Absolutely not. Is this a plan incase it does happen? Yes.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Lol, we could just let Doc go, trade away the Big 3 for some cap space, and then sign Allen Iverson and watch him attempt 35+ shots a night for an entire season. Hey, at least once the season is over he'd be ahead of Kobe in the all-time reg. season scoring list again, though we'd only win like 15 games.

Then afterwards we could acquire Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets and basically have the same Nuggets squad that couldn't make it out of the first round in the West 4 years ago.  ::)

Or we could just keep the Big 3, trade our bench away and eventually trade away Rondo and Perkins in order to get a shot at Dwight Howard once he becomes a free agent.

Unless you are telling me that the Lakers no longer need a Shaq-like presence in the paint in order to 3-peat - a scenario which would likely occour next season if they bring back Phil Jackson and we don't personally beat them in the Finals. Obviously we can't bank on James/Wade/Bosh beating them in the Finals in their first year with a new team unless that team was the Celtics.

The NBA Finals - where '21 free-throws for the Fakers in the 4th quarter of game 7' Happens.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:14:32 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Once again, not saying that I hope or want the big 3 to leave just bringing up the possibility. If you can't tell that I think it would be bad you should read the title of the thread then think about if the apocalypse is a good or a bad thing.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Lol, we could just let Doc go, trade away the Big 3 for some cap space, and then sign Allen Iverson and watch him attempt 35+ shots a night for an entire season. Hey, at least once the season is over he'd be ahead of Kobe in the all-time reg. season scoring list again, though we'd only win like 15 games.

Then afterwards we could acquire Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets and basically have the same Nuggets squad that couldn't make it out of the first round in the West 4 years ago.  ::)

Or we could just keep the Big 3, trade our bench away and eventually trade away Rondo and Perkins in order to get a shot at Dwight Howard once he becomes a free agent.

Unless you are telling me that the Lakers no longer need a Shaq-like presence in the paint in order to 3-peat - a scenario which would likely occour next season if they bring back Phil Jackson and we don't personally beat them in the Finals. Obviously we can't bank on James/Wade/Bosh beating them in the Finals in their first year with a new team unless that team was the Celtics.

The NBA Finals - where '21 free-throws for the Fakers in the 4th quarter of game 7' Happens.

Yeah ... really! And the only difference that more hasn't been made of it is that it's the Lakers who won. I won't be over this one for a long while yet. (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *