Author Topic: Need help: Music suggestion for video I'm making...  (Read 2767 times)

Need help: Music suggestion for video I'm making...
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:24:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hey guys.  I need some help here.  A buddy of mine volunteers at a summer camp.  The camp is free and for children with physical disabilities.  They always have trouble raising enough funds and he has asked me to create a short video promoting the camp (I do a little video work).

I filmed some clips of a few of the kids talking about their experiences at the camp.  I'll cut between those and some pictures of the kids at the camp and probably some text.   It's a simple enough video.  But I'm having trouble figuring out what music to use as a background track. 

It should be something upbeat/positive.  Nothing overly emotional or sad (it's a summer camp).  I'd strongly prefer something without lyrics, because I don't want it to distract from what the kids are saying and also I don't want people to nitpick and wrongly interpret the song lyrics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   I've had some people give me some suggestions, but unfortunately nothing really fits.  It's either too dark or has lyrics or could be interpreted as a romantic/sexual song... etc. 

Lol I might be overly critical, but I'm paranoid about people thinking I'm making a joke out of it, you know?  Honestly the best suggestion someone gave me was Ottmar Liebert's "Sante Fe" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGks0al2lQI ... but I kinda felt like it would have a strange vibe.  Sorta fiesta-like.   

I'll give you an example of how I'm paranoid... I was listening to a song on my mp3 player and thought, "Hmmm... this could work", but then realized it was by "Broken Social Scene".  For some reason the band name scared me away from using it.  I don't want anyone thinking that's my idea of a sick joke.  Social scene = summercamp.   Broken = kids with physical disabilities.  See what I'm saying?    Anyways... i'll listen to any suggestions.  Just link me to a youtube that uses it or something.  I appreciate it.  :)

Re: Need help: Music suggestion for video I'm making...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:10:15 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Ok I got a few you might like, you'll have to excuse some of the videos as some of the songs are hard to find on youtube lol. So best to just ignore the videos.  :P

Explosions In The Sky - Look into the air.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PUISfTZmSWM&feature=related

Explosions are probably a good band to start with, they do some amazing instrumentals.
That song has a niced relaxed feeling, no major builds or climax's in the songs' structure.

Some other options to have a look into are,
Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild OST, some fantastic music and a few instrumentals aswell.

Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuDE8heHRI

Actually I really like the sigur ros song for what my perception of the task is. It's almost a kids song with their Nonsensical Lyrics and has definently got a nice uplifting beat.

Hope i've helped in anyway!

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
jackson_34 ...  funny you mentioned Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros.  I've used music from both on videos I've done in the past.  They were the first place I looked, because they both do mainly instrumental music.   But all the music I was listening to for Explosions was just too "epic" and all the music I was listening to for Sigur Ros was just too "emotional/sad". 

I like both of your suggestions there.  I don't think I've heard either.  They must not be on the albums I have.   Thanks!  I might end up using one of those.  :)

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:32:22 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
No Problems mate, yer i was quite surprised by both songs tbh. The Explosions song doesnt really lead anywhere like their other stuff and the Sigur Ros song is their newish single which was just this awsome upbeat song I havent really heard from them before!

If you need the albums titles for the songs;

Explosions in the Sky - How Strange, Innocence.

Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust.

Good Luck with the video!

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 04:18:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
No Problems mate, yer i was quite surprised by both songs tbh. The Explosions song doesnt really lead anywhere like their other stuff and the Sigur Ros song is their newish single which was just this awsome upbeat song I havent really heard from them before!

Hey jackson...  Forgot about this.  I just wanted to let you know I ended up using one of your suggestions.  The video came out "aiight"... I wish I would have had a better place to interview the kids.  But I dunno what the heck I'm doing anyways.  But thanks for the help.  :)  It might help them raise a little money.

http://vimeo.com/5810050

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:18:14 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
What about this?

Mogwai - Take me somewhere nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHO6pbjQ9ec

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell

Hey jackson...  Forgot about this.  I just wanted to let you know I ended up using one of your suggestions.  The video came out "aiight"... I wish I would have had a better place to interview the kids.  But I dunno what the heck I'm doing anyways.  But thanks for the help.  :)  It might help them raise a little money.

http://vimeo.com/5810050

Hey mate, good to hear.
The video really good! I love the little photo montage, fits really nicely to the song.
Hope your able to raise some funds for the camp!