Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 28399 times)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Imagine Anthony Davis comes here and starts regressing like Hayward post-injury before February stats all of a sudden.

Celtics would have been blasted for trading Tatum away, among four other first-round picks!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Imagine Anthony Davis comes here and starts regressing like Hayward post-injury before February stats all of a sudden.

Celtics would have been blasted for trading Tatum away, among four other first-round picks!

Hayward broke his ankle, Davis is a 25 year old superstar on the ascension having a career year.  I don’t think he’s randomly going to start regressing.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If we’re not trading any of Kyrie/Horford/Hayward... how can we land AD from a salary perspective? In my simple brain, one of them has to be gone for us to have enough room for AD’s contract
- LilRip

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hayward broke his ankle, Davis is a 25 year old superstar on the ascension having a career year.  I don’t think he’s randomly going to start regressing.
And like, what would he regress to? A mere 20/10/2/2/1 guy? C'mon now.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We need AD to keep saying he won't resign here and we want his value low. Makes dealing for him cost less. Even if he wanted to come here he needs to stick to the story to ensure C's don't have to deal Tatum.

Maybe it allows team to make it Brown, Horford and 3 first of Grizz(we protect it top 3), Kings, Clippers/C's.

It might reduce what the Celtics are willing to give, but why would it change what the Pelicans are willing to take?

Other teams can come up with better offers than Jaylen and picks.
A single player maybe but Im not so sure about the whole package though. Brown, Horford and 3 first is tough to beat.

That's actually a pretty easy package to beat. Gotta look at it through the eyes of the Pelicans. First off, Horford is more valuable to us than the Pelicans. Secondly, I think they would prefer Tatum to Brown. Third, they would probably want Smart. He would form a good back-up with Jrue Holiday. Question is that too risky without Davis signing an extension and possibly leaving after one year? My answer is.....yup!
Davis is not going to sign an extension. He would lose money doing so. Most likely he plays out the year then signs a short deal or a couple of 1 year deals until he is a ten year vet and signs a five year max deal.

And that's not just because he is going to Boston. That's probably going to happen now matter where he is traded.

I might be wrong about the short one year deals but I am right that Davis isn't going to sign an extension for anyone.

More like 2 year deals like the one Lebron signed in Cleveland back in 2015.
The 2nd year will most likely be a player option.
It would be either two, 1 year plus an option contracts or one 2 year plus an option contract. It works both ways and the money difference is negligible. Of course, if he wanted a no trade clause, he could simply go with 2 one year deals, no option.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If we’re not trading any of Kyrie/Horford/Hayward... how can we land AD from a salary perspective? In my simple brain, one of them has to be gone for us to have enough room for AD’s contract

Smart, Tatum, Yabu for Davis works in the trade machine.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Seriously? Man... maybe I’m completely out of touch how salaries work. I thought AD made max?
- LilRip

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Seriously? Man... maybe I’m completely out of touch how salaries work. I thought AD made max?

There are different maxes depending upon when a contract was signed and how many years of service time a player has.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His contract is a rookie max extension, which was 5 years for $127m. So technically a max, but not the $30m+ maxes you see flying around these days
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

His contract is a rookie max extension, which was 5 years for $127m. So technically a max, but not the $30m+ maxes you see flying around these days

It's a lot to give up, with picks, but Davis is that good. Smart is really the salary that makes it work. I hate to see Smart and Tatum go out in a trade. They are two very hard working home grown players.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Hearing Tatum's recent comments and AD sounding extremely dumb/confused with his own comments, I'm beginning to think we're better off keeping what we have and trying to make moderate upgrades elsewhere (like in the front court w/depth behind Horford and/or a Horford replacement down the line).

UPDATE: Wait.... was that "No Celtics won't never be... on not list" thread fake...  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i think he has months to forget old man Lebum and fakers , talk to Kyrie .  If he cares about winning he ll gowith a team set up , with FO, Gm ,coaches already in place.   Lakers are a hot mess or wreck , Magic Johnson is in over his head .  He is grasping at any star he can to save his reputation.  They change plans daily .  Blaming the coach or players . All i see is Magic Johnson screwing up the La putting Lebum in charge. I think AD will come around

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
i think he has months to forget old man Lebum and fakers , talk to Kyrie .  If he cares about winning he ll gowith a team set up , with FO, Gm ,coaches already in place.   Lakers are a hot mess or wreck , Magic Johnson is in over his head .  He is grasping at any star he can to save his reputation.  They change plans daily .  Blaming the coach or players . All i see is Magic Johnson screwing up the La putting Lebum in charge. I think AD will come around

Lol I actually think Lebron already has more control of LAL than Magic does. He's got Rich Paul and the entire media at his disposal and it seems he's the one trying to force Magic to do certain things.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Hearing Tatum's recent comments and AD sounding extremely dumb/confused with his own comments, I'm beginning to think we're better off keeping what we have and trying to make moderate upgrades elsewhere (like in the front court w/depth behind Horford and/or a Horford replacement down the line).

UPDATE: Wait.... was that "No Celtics won't never be... on not list" thread fake...  :P

Yes. Unless ad comes super cheap then look elsewhere.

Team is already one of the best in the entire league and has a glaring weakness that once sured up puts us in true championship contension.

Dont need to sell off everyrhing for a sibgle player that is of no guarantee when all that is truly needed is a moderate upgrade.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yes. Unless ad comes super cheap then look elsewhere.

Team is already one of the best in the entire league and has a glaring weakness that once sured up puts us in true championship contension.

Dont need to sell off everyrhing for a sibgle player that is of no guarantee when all that is truly needed is a moderate upgrade.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Could we use an upgrade? Absolutely! A top 5 player? No doubt!  One that talks out both sides of his mouth about where he will or won't play, while trading some of our best players? Go take a hike!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:35:00 PM by gpap »