Author Topic: Hornets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 9/30/18  (Read 25803 times)

Re: Hornets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 9/30/18
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Wow nicely done.  Great play call by Brad.  I'm glad we're using Yabu's giant behind down low like that.

RW continues to impress.

RW is going to contribute this season.

He's checking guards out at the 3 point line...
Monk looks hopeless with Williams on him outside the 3 point line

Yes - it’s not just the shot he blocked, it’s the several more he altered. That was a very very Encouraging showing.

Couldn’t figure out, though, why he ended up doubled into guys way above the key a few times in the fourth quarter. He’d switch onto a guard defending a pick and roll, and his man would slip to the rim with nobody following. That got Charlotte a couple easy buckets. Not sure whether that was on him or the other Celtic defender or they both failed to communicate.
Not worry about his p/r defense, he was a above average p/r defender in college with plenty experience, and he has good reading ability and instincts

« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2018, 10:50:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
DA...might have found a diamond in the ruff in Williams. 

He does not seem lost at all, really focused on the court.  I gotta admit im a bit surprized.   That kid that went to the Heat was flat LOST on the court. 

Williams might be useful by  Xmas at this rate .   He is good match for Capella than Baynes.
At the very least he's got fouls that can be used against Embid or any other bigs who can present matchup problems.  But I'm intrigued enough to wonder whether might find his way into the rotation the 2nd half of the season?  He doesn't at all look lost out there which is certainly encouraging.

« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2018, 11:24:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
DA...might have found a diamond in the ruff in Williams. 

He does not seem lost at all, really focused on the court.  I gotta admit im a bit surprized.   That kid that went to the Heat was flat LOST on the court. 

Williams might be useful by  Xmas at this rate .   He is good match for Capella than Baynes.
At the very least he's got fouls that can be used against Embid or any other bigs who can present matchup problems.  But I'm intrigued enough to wonder whether might find his way into the rotation the 2nd half of the season?  He doesn't at all look lost out there which is certainly encouraging.

He looked a lot sharper than I thought he'd look in his 1st game out of the gate. He is so quick nd seems to be able to stay with guards or bigs. Sure he has a lot of work to do but he should see some spot minutes this year.

« Reply #303 on: October 01, 2018, 02:45:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Didn't see the game, but all this talk about RW guarding the 3 point line has got me giddy.

What about his switching instincts? Any better this game?

Did he run any pick and roll on the other end?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #304 on: October 01, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think our D still has a ways to go to get the elite status, not having Al probably played into that.

Some guys are showing signs of shaking off the rust like Tatum, Irving seems locked in.   I think the other guys will be fine.  If memory serves, Hayward missed quite a few shots last preseason, too. 

I think it comes down to playing at game speed and practicing are two different things.   That is why folks should always practice shooting at game speed.  He will be fine, just takes some time.   

« Reply #305 on: October 01, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Didn't see the game, but all this talk about RW guarding the 3 point line has got me giddy.

At times, he looked lost on defense, chasing perimeter guys.

« Reply #306 on: October 01, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Wow nicely done.  Great play call by Brad.  I'm glad we're using Yabu's giant behind down low like that.

RW continues to impress.

RW is going to contribute this season.

He's checking guards out at the 3 point line...
Monk looks hopeless with Williams on him outside the 3 point line

Yes - it’s not just the shot he blocked, it’s the several more he altered. That was a very very Encouraging showing.

Couldn’t figure out, though, why he ended up doubled into guys way above the key a few times in the fourth quarter. He’d switch onto a guard defending a pick and roll, and his man would slip to the rim with nobody following. That got Charlotte a couple easy buckets. Not sure whether that was on him or the other Celtic defender or they both failed to communicate.
Not worry about his p/r defense, he was a above average p/r defender in college with plenty experience, and he has good reading ability and instincts

I expect he'll be able to learn a lot in time. Just wondering what went on there. Might be learning the assignments and switching signals or it might be the guard's fault. Did not look like an intentional double/hard trap - they were pretty loose and the Hornet player got a pass away.

« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8CKTl1RaLU

Here's a little video showing some of the nice things he did. His defensive presence is huge. Switching instincts still a little rough, as sometimes he and the guard/wing seem to not communicate as effectively as they can. His picks seem almost sticky for defenders on the other end though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Another thing I was happy to see in this game was that Tatum kept shooting even though he struggled in the beginning of the game. That lead to his 13 point explosion in just a few minutes.

I want him to maintain that level of aggression as we head into the regular season.

« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2018, 10:11:39 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I think our D still has a ways to go to get the elite status, not having Al probably played into that.

Some guys are showing signs of shaking off the rust like Tatum, Irving seems locked in.   I think the other guys will be fine.  If memory serves, Hayward missed quite a few shots last preseason, too. 

I think it comes down to playing at game speed and practicing are two different things.   That is why folks should always practice shooting at game speed.  He will be fine, just takes some time.

Nope. It has been proven that getting more reps with half speed then going to full speed is better than going at full speed everytime. You get burned out faster and get fewer reps which wont help build muscle memory. There's a reason there are tuneups, preseason, warmups etc in all aspects of competition.

« Reply #310 on: October 02, 2018, 07:16:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Nope. It has been proven that getting more reps with half speed then going to full speed is better than going at full speed everytime. You get burned out faster and get fewer reps which wont help build muscle memory. There's a reason there are tuneups, preseason, warmups etc in all aspects of competition.

If you're young and trying to improve your game don't listen to this nonsense.

Bob Huggins is the one who showed me to practive at game speed and he is a D 1 coach with a winning record.

Here is a video of Curry trying to improve his game speed, he is pretty good shooter.

A little trick that Steph Curry’s trainer possibly uses to push beyond game speed

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/steph-curry-game-speed.html

Just google it

https://www.google.com/search?q=game+speed+practice+basketball&oq=game+speed+practice+basketball&aqs=chrome..69i57.11822j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and you will RockinRyA is giving you bad advice.

Here are some examples:

2. You MUST Workout at Game Pace
In order to work out effectively and improve your basketball game you need to be taking game shots, from game spots, at game speed.

Let me say that again because it’s very important… The only way to get better is to take game shots, from game spots, at game speed.

You can’t walk or jog through your workout. You don’t do that in games (well you better not be doing that in games). You have to make your workout as game-like as possible.

This means sprinting during drills, exploding into your shot, getting low on your dribble moves. If you finish your workout and you’re not drenched in sweat, you didn’t work hard

enough.https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/musts-for-every-workout/

The number 7 mistake players make

7. Not training at game speed
Again, taking rhythm shots is great for locking in your form, but I can't stand watching players take a couple hundred shots and then calling it a workout. Train like you're in the game under game-like conditions!

With the integrated Polar Heart-Rate monitor paired with Dr. Dish, you can now track player intensity!

http://blog.drdishbasketball.com/20-mistakes-of-basketball-training

Shoot Like A Pro By Practicing At Game Speed
While recently visiting Phil Martelli, coach of St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia and one of the great teachers of the game, we discussed this very question. His contention, as is ours, is that practicing at LESS than GAME SPEED is the #1 reason for poor game shooting.

What’s the science behind this assertion? Learning the proper amount of power needed to score from a particular distance (developing muscle memory) requires a great deal of repetition. If practiced at a slow, comfortable speed, the athlete is not TRAINED to deliver the shot at the speed required in game conditions – when defenders are trying to block the attempt. What most do not realize is that before a shot is taken during a contest, with exception of free throws, the shooter only has milliseconds to determine the Distance and then and come up with the right answer for the amount of power needed to score (muscle memory).

TRUE STORY: A college player we worked with struggled with game shooting success even though he shot 500 shots a day for 5 days a week during the off-season. The problem was, he shot at ¾ speed. It was hard for him to understand why he couldn’t score in games since he worked so hard and practiced so much. We then gave him this example. If you say 2+2 is 5 and say it 500 times a day for 5 days, what answer will most likely FIRST pop into your head if asked, “What’s 2 + 2?”. That’s when he got it.

QUESTION:What kind of misses do you think the player in the above story had during a game? Short or Long? Hint. The faster the body extends during the shooting motion, the MORE power is produced. If you said LONG, send a quick email to let us know that you get it. Send it to Jay@starshooter.net or Ryan@starshooter.net

Tip for practicing at GAME SPEED. As soon as the ball starts upward in the shooting motion, say “Game Speed” as fast as you can. The ball must be released before the “d” of Speed is heard. After you become more comfortable executing at this level, you don’t have to say it for every shot but do check yourself from time to time throughout your practice – especially if you start coming up short.

https://starshooter.net/shooting-tips/shoot-like-a-pro-by-practicing-at-game-speed/

Your advice might be sound in grade school.   But game speed and game situation is for the big boys and girls who want to play past biddy ball grade school.   Sports training should be sports specific.   

« Reply #311 on: October 02, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

If you're young and trying to improve your game don't listen to this nonsense.

Bob Huggins is the one who showed me to practive at game speed and he is a D 1 coach with a winning record.

Here is a video of Curry trying to improve his game speed, he is pretty good shooter.

A little trick that Steph Curry’s trainer possibly uses to push beyond game speed

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/steph-curry-game-speed.html

Just google it

https://www.google.com/search?q=game+speed+practice+basketball&oq=game+speed+practice+basketball&aqs=chrome..69i57.11822j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and you will RockinRyA is giving you bad advice.

Here are some examples:

2. You MUST Workout at Game Pace
In order to work out effectively and improve your basketball game you need to be taking game shots, from game spots, at game speed.

Let me say that again because it’s very important… The only way to get better is to take game shots, from game spots, at game speed.

You can’t walk or jog through your workout. You don’t do that in games (well you better not be doing that in games). You have to make your workout as game-like as possible.

This means sprinting during drills, exploding into your shot, getting low on your dribble moves. If you finish your workout and you’re not drenched in sweat, you didn’t work hard

enough.https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/musts-for-every-workout/

The number 7 mistake players make

7. Not training at game speed
Again, taking rhythm shots is great for locking in your form, but I can't stand watching players take a couple hundred shots and then calling it a workout. Train like you're in the game under game-like conditions!

With the integrated Polar Heart-Rate monitor paired with Dr. Dish, you can now track player intensity!

http://blog.drdishbasketball.com/20-mistakes-of-basketball-training

Shoot Like A Pro By Practicing At Game Speed
While recently visiting Phil Martelli, coach of St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia and one of the great teachers of the game, we discussed this very question. His contention, as is ours, is that practicing at LESS than GAME SPEED is the #1 reason for poor game shooting.

What’s the science behind this assertion? Learning the proper amount of power needed to score from a particular distance (developing muscle memory) requires a great deal of repetition. If practiced at a slow, comfortable speed, the athlete is not TRAINED to deliver the shot at the speed required in game conditions – when defenders are trying to block the attempt. What most do not realize is that before a shot is taken during a contest, with exception of free throws, the shooter only has milliseconds to determine the Distance and then and come up with the right answer for the amount of power needed to score (muscle memory).

TRUE STORY: A college player we worked with struggled with game shooting success even though he shot 500 shots a day for 5 days a week during the off-season. The problem was, he shot at ¾ speed. It was hard for him to understand why he couldn’t score in games since he worked so hard and practiced so much. We then gave him this example. If you say 2+2 is 5 and say it 500 times a day for 5 days, what answer will most likely FIRST pop into your head if asked, “What’s 2 + 2?”. That’s when he got it.

QUESTION:What kind of misses do you think the player in the above story had during a game? Short or Long? Hint. The faster the body extends during the shooting motion, the MORE power is produced. If you said LONG, send a quick email to let us know that you get it. Send it to Jay@starshooter.net or Ryan@starshooter.net

Tip for practicing at GAME SPEED. As soon as the ball starts upward in the shooting motion, say “Game Speed” as fast as you can. The ball must be released before the “d” of Speed is heard. After you become more comfortable executing at this level, you don’t have to say it for every shot but do check yourself from time to time throughout your practice – especially if you start coming up short.

https://starshooter.net/shooting-tips/shoot-like-a-pro-by-practicing-at-game-speed/

Your advice might be sound in grade school.   But game speed and game situation is for the big boys and girls who want to play past biddy ball grade school.   Sports training should be sports specific.

Oh god this is hilarious. Watch them in shootarounds, look at workout videos. You can clearly see players going through it in increasing degree of difficulty. Even doctors will tell you to start slow, go faster and then go slower before stopping. This is why players practice shooting without defenders, its why boxers spar more in the middle of their training than at the start, why they do shadow boxing instead of sparring all the time. Hilarious Celtics4ever, your simplemindedness is showing.

« Reply #312 on: October 02, 2018, 08:29:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Shoot arounds are not practice, they are to warm up for playing.   Doctors are not professional trainers, they are medical professionals not pro level trainers.  I notice you don't have one link to back up your assertions.  Also most shadow boxing I see is done at real speed.

http://www.richstoner.com/game-shots-at-game-spots-at-game-speed,   

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/vern-gambetta-on-game-speed/

We only see the training vids the pros want us to see not all their training.   Real pros, train at speed because it is important to get your shot off in games against competition.    How is practing slow.   A lot of coaches I have had told practice slow, play slow.

Keep going, I can post these all day, but I have to go to work.   Functional training,  at game speed is the way to go.

Thanks for the insulting PM, if you're going to say something have the guts to say it here.

I answered the PM by saying I played at high school, college and some ball overseas in Europe.  I shot 51% from three in 1993.  I think I know I what I am talking about.

As for simple mindedness, I am the one posting links backing my assertion, your the one spouting unsubstantiated opinion.    I also think the tone of my post does not lack sophistication or subtlety, and I am definitely not naive because I have a lot of basketball experience.  Perhaps before you level an insult at someone please look at the definition.

Also, it occured to me, that perhaps your not speaking to a level of basketball where some skills players are already considered proficient at certain skills in order to get there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:42:33 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #313 on: October 02, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Another thing I was happy to see in this game was that Tatum kept shooting even though he struggled in the beginning of the game. That lead to his 13 point explosion in just a few minutes.

I want him to maintain that level of aggression as we head into the regular season.

Yes - was great to see him get off the schneid.