Poll

First Take: Who's usually right?

Skip!
2 (13.3%)
Smith!
3 (20%)
I'd rather jump off a bridge than admit either is almost ever right/I always change the channel before I find out
8 (53.3%)
It pains me to say Skip. It reeaalllyyy pains me.
1 (6.7%)
It pains me to say Smith. It reallllyy pains me.
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: First Take: Who's usually right?  (Read 11148 times)

First Take: Who's usually right?
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think this should be discussed.

Re: First Take: Who's usually right?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Skip Bayless is a troll and an embarrassment. Deadspin'll make it clear.

http://deadspin.com/tag/skip-bayless

EDIT: That's not to say Stephen Smith is right sometimes, or whatever. That whole show is a tabloid of manufactured discord. The whole thing is a troll and an embarrassment. Just Skip Bayless is the most glaring example of it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I wish I could add some Felger related poll options.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
In theory if Skip is a troll what does that say? I assume the show is fairly highly rated. It seems like it's on every single time I turn on the TV. I love Sports Reporters and put almost all those guys waaaayyyy ahead of First Take, but for whatever reason I feel like that show is buried.  And I'm not sure New Englanders can complain with authority on that. I mean wasn't the Big O sorta a troll? Felger? Dennis and Callahan? 

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
In theory if Skip is a troll what does that say? I assume the show is fairly highly rated.

The show actually isn't all that highly rated anymore. That's changing. But its the same thing as tabloids, or Fox News, or (insert preferred liberal foil to fox news), Bleacher Report, or Honey Boo Boo or whatever.

They scream things that elicit reactions, whether they're vehement agreement or disagreement, and make you choose a side to rah-rah for or against and get all worked up. Cuz we're simple and easily manipulated apparently, which is depressing.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
In theory if Skip is a troll what does that say? I assume the show is fairly highly rated.

The show actually isn't all that highly rated anymore. That's changing. But its the same thing as tabloids, or Fox News, or (insert preferred liberal foil to fox news), Bleacher Report, or Honey Boo Boo or whatever.

They scream things that elicit reactions, whether they're vehement agreement or disagreement, and make you choose a side to rah-rah for or against and get all worked up. Cuz we're simple and easily manipulated apparently, which is depressing.
Philosophically if Skip is going "yay yay Tebow!" or "I think Garnet could have been greatER had he done things different" I'm not sure that's trolling. Especially if the players themselves voted Tebow a top 100 player.

If Sherman says he's more accomplished than Skip (if I were skip my response would be 'Wait a minute. You just said you're top 22. I'm half of the top rated show so I'm at least #2, right"?)  in a way it strikes me that Sherman may have been the troll.

I wonder if maybe the Rob Parker thing wasn't more trolling. That thing was a travesty from start to finish.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
It's a waste of time to watch morons say stuff to get ratings. Go spend your time being creative , not watching these idiots.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Skip is paid to say controversial things.  He's pretty good at doing that, as evidenced by just about everybody's hatred for him.

If you're looking for a reality check, Stephen A will give that to you.  He tends to tell it like it is; however, the way he presents his opinions (loudly, obnoxiously, often times very rude and disrespectful to Skip) is annoying.

Overall, I don't watch the show a whole lot, until the playoffs start.  Their discussions of teams are very interesting.  For example, it was hilarious last year when they were both absolutely trashing the Heat before Game 6 in Boston (specifically LeBron) and then calling him the messiah after his otherworldly performance.  Those are the only First Takes I try to find time to listen to.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

The show actually isn't all that highly rated anymore. That's changing.
Sadly the stylistic elements that are such crap (forced debate with acrimony) are still spreading throughout the rest of ESPN's programming.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
One thing that annoys me is that other writers and sports personalities need to offer an alternative on some level. You can't just look down on a show from the Sports world of academia like you're too good for it. 

A lot of other people had their chance and didn't hold our attention.  I'd take PTI over this show. I'd take Sports Reporters over it. But they had their shots.  This show won. I realize people can like mindless trash, but obviously someone likes the show and I'm not willing to say my taste is better than theirs or that I'm somehow wiser because I don't watch it and they do.   

I don't get the Honey Boo Boo thing either.  I try not to think about that.

The show has its place in the world is all I'm saying. Apparently that place is on people's TVs

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When I watch First Take I get the feeling that I am right more often than either of those guys.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
When I watch First Take I get the feeling that I am right more often than either of those guys.
I agree it should be us on that show.

Well. It's mid March and Nick and I have had our annual agreement for the year. Thanks for coming everyone. Back to business

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Philosophically if Skip is going "yay yay Tebow!" or "I think Garnet could have been greatER had he done things different" I'm not sure that's trolling. Especially if the players themselves voted Tebow a top 100 player.

If Sherman says he's more accomplished than Skip (if I were skip my response would be 'Wait a minute. You just said you're top 22. I'm half of the top rated show so I'm at least #2, right"?)  in a way it strikes me that Sherman may have been the troll.

I wonder if maybe the Rob Parker thing wasn't more trolling. That thing was a travesty from start to finish.

Yeah, I think you're missing the bigger picture here, or at least as I see it. He's trolling because he's part of a show that attempts to engage audiences by loudly arguing a point with a counterpoint, even when there isn't really a debate to be had. Its the same thing as an advertisement on a webpage that says "Is Barack Obama Doing A Good Job? Make Your Voice Heard!!" They don't care what you think, or how hard you think it, or even if the POTUS is actually doing a good job or not, they want you to click on the ad.

Just like First Take doesn't actually argue with sincerity. They're trolling for responses (views, votes in polls, etc), not attempting to make quality programming. 

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
One thing that annoys me is that other writers and sports personalities need to offer an alternative on some level. You can't just look down on a show from the Sports world of academia like you're too good for it. 

A lot of other people had their chance and didn't hold our attention.  I'd take PTI over this show. I'd take Sports Reporters over it. But they had their shots.  This show won. I realize people can like mindless trash, but obviously someone likes the show and I'm not willing to say my taste is better than theirs or that I'm somehow wiser because I don't watch it and they do.   

I don't get the Honey Boo Boo thing either.  I try not to think about that.

The show has its place in the world is all I'm saying. Apparently that place is on people's TVs

Dumb peoples' TV's. One of the biggest problems I have with the country's media right now is that we're equating popularity with quality. IE, 'If that show pull 200,000 households a day, they've gotta be doing something right. We could take a page from their book.'

It just becomes a race to the bottom.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, I think you're missing the bigger picture here, or at least as I see it. He's trolling because he's part of a show that attempts to engage audiences by loudly arguing a point with a counterpoint, even when there isn't really a debate to be had. Its the same thing as an advertisement on a webpage that says "Is Barack Obama Doing A Good Job? Make Your Voice Heard!!" They don't care what you think, or how hard you think it, or even if the POTUS is actually doing a good job or not, they want you to click on the ad.

Just like First Take doesn't actually argue with sincerity. They're trolling for responses (views, votes in polls, etc), not attempting to make quality programming.
TP. This is all 100% correct except the part where you say they are not attempting to make quality programming. I think they are except they are just failing miserably at it.