Author Topic: 2018 Offseason Bold Predictions  (Read 3981 times)

Re: 2018 Offseason Bold Predictions
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Derrick Favors
  Free Agent

MY prediction is where LeBron goes will dominate the news cycle and get more press than the GS win....

Huh? He's STILL dominating the news cycle despite the loss lol.

I feel like I've seen Sportscenter bring up the Warriors 3 times today, and Lebron James like 10...  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Not really a bold prediction, but an observation:

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that if LeBron James wants to move to win more titles, the best place for him to go is not LA, nor Philadelphia. It's not even Houston.

It's Utah.

Think about it for a second. . .

Utah has a budding superstar in Donovan Mitchell. He could be his "Kyrie Irving".

That team fits him to a tee. A starting lineup of Mitchell, Royce O'Neale, LeBron James, Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert is as talented as it come.

Utah is already a defensive stalwart. Nothing to worry about as far as defending.

Utah has a very good coach, something he has never had in his entire NBA career.

Utah has the necessary contracts to move to pull a sign and trade/create cap room without breaking up their main core. They could trade Ricky Rubio and Joe Ingles, whose trade value may have risen because of their performances this season. They can move Alec Burks' $11 million deal relatively easy (one year left on his deal, relatively young to take a chance on).

They'll have a competent bench. Dante Exum, Thabo Sefolosha, Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko. They'll have the 21st pick in a deep draft. I think they'll be under the luxury tax even with him on the payroll, which gives them the full $8+ million MLE.

The only dropoff with this is, well, it's Utah.

But really, what better team is out there that can offer this much for LeBron?

Edit: The DKC guys think that renouncing Favors and keeping Ingles is a better way to do it. I agree.

Dang. Good idea. A little too good. But I think you are right - LBJ doesn’t go to Utah.

Jazz fans would deserve that after what Jordan did to them in the Malone-Stockton years though.

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 06:27:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Paul George goes to Utah.

I know, I know, you all are rolling your eyes thinking I'm crazy and that he's already wearing Lakers gear probably. But this is "bold prediction" thread and if we are to make one, I think this is a possibility. If Utah can add an elite two-way wing player (like George) and build along with Mitchell-George-Gobert-Rubio and a solid bench and fantastic coach, they are Top-4 in the West IMHO. Maybe even Top-3 if Kawhi leaves and heads to the East.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 06:30:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Cavs make trades to improve significantly, LeBron stays.

Cleveland trades: Kevin Love, #8

Portland trades: Damian Lillard, #24

Who says no?
Not a bad idea, but I could see it being McCollom instead.

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I know, I know, you all are rolling your eyes thinking I'm crazy and that he's already wearing Lakers gear probably. But this is "bold prediction" thread and if we are to make one, I think this is a possibility. If Utah can add an elite two-way wing player (like George) and build along with Mitchell-George-Gobert-Rubio and a solid bench and fantastic coach, they are Top-4 in the West IMHO. Maybe even Top-3 if Kawhi leaves and heads to the East.

Does Utah have cap space to sign him outright?

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Favors (at the absolute least) would be a goner

I don't know about their cap situation in general
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Who says no?

I was thinking the same, although in that case I think CLE tries to keep Love. My thinking is they'd dangle #8 + Love for Lilliard, Wall OR DeRozan. Otherwise, #8 + Osman + Bad Contract for any of McCollum/Beal/Lowry. Any of the latter trio coming to CLE at the expense of Love honestly isn't a huge improvement IMO, whereas adding say, a Lilliard or Wall is to make it worth. Just what I think.

I was thinking a S&T of sorts could happen, but otherwise I think they can if they can dump someone like Crowder or Burks. Of course that also means some of their FA's like Favors and Exum are gone for good. They likely can try and use an exception to bring back Derrick Rose though.

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Who says no?

I was thinking the same, although in that case I think CLE tries to keep Love. My thinking is they'd dangle #8 + Love for Lilliard, Wall OR DeRozan. Otherwise, #8 + Osman + Bad Contract for any of McCollum/Beal/Lowry. Any of the latter trio coming to CLE at the expense of Love honestly isn't a huge improvement IMO, whereas adding say, a Lilliard or Wall is to make it worth. Just what I think.

I was thinking a S&T of sorts could happen, but otherwise I think they can if they can dump someone like Crowder or Burks. Of course that also means some of their FA's like Favors and Exum are gone for good. They likely can try and use an exception to bring back Derrick Rose though.

Considering Favors was pretty much trade bait or on the way out of being too pricey for Jazz to retain, and that Exum is one of the most injury prone guards I have ever seen, I could see that happening. But the Jazz is probably the last place LeBron would probably go to.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:28:13 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The Celtics add two prime-age all stars to the core that went to the Eastern Conference Finals last year!!

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
(more like a pipe dream than a bold prediction)

The Cavs sign and trade LeBron to the Celtics for Kyrie + fillers

LeBron  6'8"
Brown  6'7"
Hayward  6'8"
Tatum  6'8"
Horford 6'10"

Positionless basketball at its best!

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Bold (or maybe crazy)

Lebron decides he's going to the Celts, because it gives him the best chance at beating GSW in the finals and winning multiple championships.

Only catch, Celts trade Hayward to the Cavs in a sign and trade so they can fit Lebron into their cap.

Kyrie stays in Boston (for the long term) and buries the hatchet with Lebron.
Jaylen starts at the 2, Tatum at the 3, Lebron at the 4 and Horford at the 5. They also resign Smart.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Rozier and Smart will be gone before the first game of the 2018-2019 regular season.

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Only one I see for league is LeBron opts out but Cavs do a sign and trade to Lakers for fillers, a 1st, Ball and Ingram.
Lakers then have cap space to also sign PG and Boogie. And some how get Reddick for the vet min.

Ennis, Reddick, LeBron, PG, Boogie

Talk about a team to hate for us lol.

Why would the Lakers do that? They could send out WAY less in a sign and trade for Paul George or Boogie, or use all three to make a bidding war.  Or just not send that much because the Cavs would have absolutely no leverage in that situation
They send out all that because Deng is one of the fillers. One of the worst contracts in the NBA going. That way instead of two max guys they get three. Is keeping Ingram. Ball and a low first better than having the stacked lineup I mentioned?

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Bold predictions

Lebron and Paul George go to the Lakers

Kevin Love is traded to Utah

Leonard stays a Spur

Avery Bradley goes to 76ers

Cs return Smart and Baynes but Morris who is trade on draft night to save $$

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 05:05:01 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Bold predictions

Lebron and Paul George go to the Lakers

Kevin Love is traded to Utah

Leonard stays a Spur

Avery Bradley goes to 76ers

Cs return Smart and Baynes but Morris who is trade on draft night to save $$

I love the Love to Utah idea. Very intriguing.

AB would actually be a good fit in PHI, although if we assume they strike out on all the star FA's and trade targets then, then advantage us!

And I'm fine with PG13 + Lebron to LA because honestly that team still isn't beating Houston or Golden State.