Author Topic: Would you have preferred Ainge gone in this direction during offseason?  (Read 15083 times)

Re: Would you have preferred Ainge gone in this direction during offseason?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I was in favor of drafting Brandon Clarke instead of Langford - we have too many perimeter guys and need help inside. Danny (and Brad) almost have a man-love for these perimeter guys. You would think, given Ainge's experience playing with Bird, Max, McHale and Parish that he would understand (i know the game has changed and all but interior strength will always matter). Grant Williams is a keeper - the guy just knows how to play the game. I think Edwards, however, will help us as settles into the pro game and the distance of the NBA 3-line.
I preferred Goga Bitadze - I thought he was a high floor guy with a good ceiling as well. He's currently a quality backup centre for the Pacers with 6.6 PPG and 4.7 RPG in 18.1 MPG on 50/37.5/78.6 shooting, showing potential as a bruiser who can also stretch the floor.

Agreed! I don't understand the Romeo Langord draft pick. Of course, I never understand alot of Ainge's draft picks, so this is nothing different.

I think Romeo Langord pick was a Jaylen Brown insurance plan in case they couldn't resign him.  Also, if things went south and Hayward opted out and went elsewhere we could have been looking at possibly loosing both Brown and Hayward, so a guy with legit upside at the wing was a reasonable move.  Brad said he had been watching Romeo for years, so he knows way better than us what Romeo brings as a player.  Now with Brown signed, and Hayward blending well Tatum and Brown, the Romeo Langord pick looks like it could have been better spend on a Big Physical Big.   

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I was in favor of drafting Brandon Clarke instead of Langford - we have too many perimeter guys and need help inside. Danny (and Brad) almost have a man-love for these perimeter guys. You would think, given Ainge's experience playing with Bird, Max, McHale and Parish that he would understand (i know the game has changed and all but interior strength will always matter). Grant Williams is a keeper - the guy just knows how to play the game. I think Edwards, however, will help us as settles into the pro game and the distance of the NBA 3-line.
I preferred Goga Bitadze - I thought he was a high floor guy with a good ceiling as well. He's currently a quality backup centre for the Pacers with 6.6 PPG and 4.7 RPG in 18.1 MPG on 50/37.5/78.6 shooting, showing potential as a bruiser who can also stretch the floor.

Agreed! I don't understand the Romeo Langord draft pick. Of course, I never understand alot of Ainge's draft picks, so this is nothing different.

I think Romeo Langord pick was a Jaylen Brown insurance plan in case they couldn't resign him.  Also, if things went south and Hayward opted out and went elsewhere we could have been looking at possibly loosing both Brown and Hayward, so a guy with legit upside at the wing was a reasonable move.  Brad said he had been watching Romeo for years, so he knows way better than us what Romeo brings as a player.  Now with Brown signed, and Hayward blending well Tatum and Brown, the Romeo Langord pick looks like it could have been better spend on a Big Physical Big.   
I don't understand that insurance policy logic. It doesn't work as rozier was the policy for Kyire. But the premium we paid for that policy was a complete dysfunction

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

At first, I wasn't necessarily disappointed with the pick. The issue is can he stay healthy? I mean he already was recovering from a broken thumb when the Celts drafted him, so that was the first read flag. Then, he recently injured his ankle and Ainge  said something about "he's got some growing to do." Another red flag.  I know he's a rookie, but at least if we've seen the kid play and can show some flashes of talent, it wouldn't have been a bad pick at all.

Will he be able to stay healthy? I did agree shooting guard was a need in addition to a big man. So, I didn't mind the pick at first. I just worry are we ever going to see a body of work from Romeo?

I liked the Grant and Edwards picks and agreed with Ainge clearing up enough cap space to get Kemba. So considering the circumstances, for the most part, I thought Ainge did a decent job last summer. And I liked the Kanter signing.

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 11:45:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Isiah Thomas is a positive player. He puts up offensive numbers but he's no longer transcendent on that end and he's even worse defensively. Even though Kanter hasn't looked great I'd much rather have him than IT.

I do like Clarke and was disappointed when we didn't get him. Still Grant Williams has been awesome on defense, if he can find his shot he'll also be a good pick.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Romeo just turned 20. Hayward will be 30 before the playoffs start. Romeo’s future with the Celtics is a question that goes beyond this season.

Looks to me as though he’s got star potential.

Of course, he’s also got potential as a trade asset.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 11:48:11 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hated the draft and still do..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
A different direction is not just swapping a rookie for another rookie.  A different direction is not signing Walker, trading Hayward, etc. and going all in around Tatum.  That is a different direction.  And it would be hard to argue going that route given the 10-1 record to start the season and just how good Tatum and Brown have played overall.

A bit extreme. Tatum isn't ready to have a team built around him.
You can build a team around anyone.  I agree he can't have a contender built around him right now, but you can absolutely build a team around Tatum this year.  Ainge should have been doing that for at least the last 2 off seasons as he knew what Tatum could be after his rookie year.  That said, the team is off to a great start, I just worry that it isn't properly built to be a contender and I do wonder if all of these win now type moves have hampered the growth of Tatum and Brown (again though the start of this season for both of them has been great so maybe not). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2019, 11:37:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In a word, no.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
A different direction is not just swapping a rookie for another rookie.  A different direction is not signing Walker, trading Hayward, etc. and going all in around Tatum.  That is a different direction.  And it would be hard to argue going that route given the 10-1 record to start the season and just how good Tatum and Brown have played overall.

You can build a team around anyone.  I agree he can't have a contender built around him right now, but you can absolutely build a team around Tatum this year.  Ainge should have been doing that for at least the last 2 off seasons as he knew what Tatum could be after his rookie year.  That said, the team is off to a great start, I just worry that it isn't properly built to be a contender and I do wonder if all of these win now type moves have hampered the growth of Tatum and Brown (again though the start of this season for both of them has been great so maybe not).

I just think a team should be properly constructed to win as a collective unit with the right roster construction. That means more to me than whether Tatum is the face of the Celtics.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I just think a team should be properly constructed to win as a collective unit with the right roster construction. That means more to me than whether Tatum is the face of the Celtics.
Ah but isn't Boston's best chance to win a championship if Tatum reaches the super-elite level?  If that is the case, then shouldn't the team be trying to maximize Tatum's chances of reaching that level and also building the team around him at that point that has the best chance to win a title?  Again, due to the great start and real growth in Tatum's game, it would be hard to argue that the team isn't helping Tatum reach that level, though it could be argued that the team is not properly putting the pieces in place to truly contend when Tatum does reach that level.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So, about 20 days till 10 million or so in salary can be cleared (Enes, Brad W, Javonte, Poirier).

Does anyone think we will try to make a move for a big after December 15 (or before the deadline) or is it too early to say?

There really isn't much value at the moment in terms of guys who are realistically available in the areas we need (defense, rebounding). I would say the only option which I would even consider if probably Cody Zeller, but even that contract looks a little bloated.

Of course Adams is the dream, but not sure we can move enough salary...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Clever thread title but this is yet another of those annoying trade idea threads

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 11:37:42 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Clever thread title but this is yet another of those annoying trade idea threads

Some people like talking about trade ideas, me included. I presume your position is to not consider any trades after December 15, or before the deadlline, which seems a totally valid argument.

Thanks for your input.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 02:08:30 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

True.

With Brown, Tatum, and Hayward, Ainge should have drafted Goga instead of Langford.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 02:09:24 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I was told by one poster here that Goga is a stiff.

Looks like that info was wrong.