Author Topic: Smart on ‘The Jump’, “We were dysfunctional”  (Read 8101 times)

Smart on ‘The Jump’, “We were dysfunctional”
« on: July 29, 2019, 06:14:29 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26

Re: Smart on ‘The Jump’, “We were dysfunctional”
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Is it possible not to love Marcus?   Though he is still volatile on the court and will probably go too far once or twice next year, this guy really is rounding into an interesting, thoughtful adult.  It's crazy that he is only 25. He has tremendous leadership qualities and I've got to believe he is a great teammate. I think he handled the questions well and he gave a very balanced acknowledgement of the team's dysfunction along with respect and praise for his teammates.   I love that he said that the guys all liked each other off the court -- but that they just couldn't adjust on the court.  Didn't sound blaming at all, either to Kyrie, the coaching staff, or anyone else.

Nicely done Marcus!  So glad he is a Celtic and hope we can keep that great spirit and great contract on this team for a long time.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:39:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
TP to the OP for sharing this.

Is it possible not to love Marcus?   Though he is still volatile on the court and will probably go too far once or twice next year, this guy really is rounding into an interesting, thoughtful adult.  It's crazy that he is only 25. He has tremendous leadership qualities and I've got to believe he is a great teammate. I think he handled the questions well and he gave a very balanced acknowledgement of the team's dysfunction along with respect and praise for his teammates.   I love that he said that the guys all liked each other off the court -- but that they just couldn't adjust on the court.  Didn't sound blaming at all, either to Kyrie, the coaching staff, or anyone else.

Nicely done Marcus!  So glad he is a Celtic and hope we can keep that great spirit and great contract on this team for a long time.

I don't think I could say it any better. I'll just add two things:

1) I love his maturity and honesty here.
2) I'm glad he finally has a cool hairstyle. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 06:45:42 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I remember Ainge said a big factor in him drafting Smart was that in the draft workouts the Celtics have a common drill where they have a relay with sleds and Ainge said Smart was the only guy he’s ever seen push the sled to his workout teammates (but essentially his competition) and then flip the sled around so his teammate can go quicker...that’s the amazing type of leader he is.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
It was a case of too many good players and not enough great ones.

Celts had 7 players last season who deserved to be starters.

But only 5 can start a basketball game.

The 2008 Celtics won a championship because players know their roles.

Last season's Celtics was like a tryout, players trying to prove they deserve more minutes and shots.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Last season's Celtics was like a tryout, players trying to prove they deserve more minutes and shots.

And who allowed that to fester?

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If you're trying to single someone out to blame you're pretty much going against exactly what Marcus said, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

If we're going to blame someone for last year's mess, blame Danny Ainge.

I'm a fan of Danny Ainge, but last season he was all in on Anthony Davis and it backfired.

Ainge could have done something, like trade Rozier or Morris, but Ainge didn't want to sacrifice any of the assets and cap flexibility.

The Celts were playing to win the Anthony Davis sweepstakes last season.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I love that he said that the guys all liked each other off the court -- but that they just couldn't adjust on the court.  Didn't sound blaming at all, either to Kyrie, the coaching staff, or anyone else.

When they asked him about chemistry, and he gave his response about everybody liking each other off the court, and on the court everybody was trying to help the team doing what they know how to do, he closed that by saying, "Everybody was trying so hard to help the team, but they didn't know what exactly to do."

That would have been an ideal spot for a follow up question about Stevens.  Something along the lines of, "if guys didn't know what to do, isn't that on the coach?"

I'm sure he would gave a good pro-Stevens answer, or at least "that's on everybody" response, but blown opportunity by Rachel Nichols and crew to dig a little deeper.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:30:24 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 09:37:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
After hearing Marcus’ comments I worry again about this year. I don’t see how the pieces fit together any better than they did last year, and you’ll have Jaylen (the one guy who did figure it out) going into a contract year and wanting to show he can create, while Jayson wants to be an all-star and his clearest path is by scoring a lot. Both of them will be playing next to Kemba (all-NBA scorer) and Hayward (former 20+ ppg all-star with something to prove). Even if Enes is content getting his points in the pick and roll and converting offensive rebounds (is he?), I’m not sure how it works out better than last year. And did I mention  we drafted a score-first wing with our late-lottery pick?

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 09:41:45 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
FYI the OP link was the 2nd of 3 segments, so here's the other segments for those interested:

Segment 1 is Smart talking about Team USA.

Segment 3 is Smart talking about running into the stands at Texas Tech and his flopping.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:21:40 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

If we're going to blame someone for last year's mess, blame Danny Ainge.

I'm a fan of Danny Ainge, but last season he was all in on Anthony Davis and it backfired.

Ainge could have done something, like trade Rozier or Morris, but Ainge didn't want to sacrifice any of the assets and cap flexibility.

The Celts were playing to win the Anthony Davis sweepstakes last season.

I am thinking the coach let it fester, or was he not in charge?

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 11:46:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
After hearing Marcus’ comments I worry again about this year. I don’t see how the pieces fit together any better than they did last year, and you’ll have Jaylen (the one guy who did figure it out) going into a contract year and wanting to show he can create, while Jayson wants to be an all-star and his clearest path is by scoring a lot. Both of them will be playing next to Kemba (all-NBA scorer) and Hayward (former 20+ ppg all-star with something to prove). Even if Enes is content getting his points in the pick and roll and converting offensive rebounds (is he?), I’m not sure how it works out better than last year. And did I mention  we drafted a score-first wing with our late-lottery pick?

I’m frankly surprised you wouldn’t think the pieces fit a little better with Rozier gone, and I’d add Morris into that bucket as well.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 11:59:18 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

This is why I really would prefer to see Marcus Smart starting at SG, with either Brown or Hayward coming off the bench as a super 6th man - Ginobilli style.

I worry that with Brown, Hayward and Tatum all starting (along with Kemba and Kanter) there are just too many guys needing touches at the same time.

Smart is a guy who can make a big impact on the game without the ball in his hands.  In fact I think he's at his best when he doesn't have the ball in his hands a lot.

Kanter is also a guy who can still get points off offensive boards and at the foul line, even if plays aren't run for him.

If those two guys are starting then I think it'll to have the offensive load split primarily between three guys (Kemba, Tatum and either Hayward or Brown).  But trying to split the office between four guys is, IMHO, going to be problematic.

And i do agree with a few comments here - I two names I bring to the front of the line here are Brad Stevens and Al Horford. 

Brad is supposed to be a great coach, and while he's a master of X's and O's a great coach also needs to be good at managing egos and putting his guys where they need to be to best benefit the team.

One of Horford's biggest "intangibles" that made him worthy of a max contract was supposed to be his steady veteran leadership.  I've seriously struggled to see that.  When the Celtics made their run to the ECF the previous year they were terrible in all of their road games, and I would think Horford would be the guy who would have taken them under his wing an helped them go through the necessary preparations.  Likewise this past year I would have thought he'd be the steady vet who would stand up and help all the young guys work out their roles and what they need to do to help the team.  But I didn't see any of that. 

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 12:00:14 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

I’m frankly surprised you wouldn’t think the pieces fit a little better with Rozier gone, and I’d add Morris into that bucket as well.

Rozier was not the problem.