Author Topic: Hidden asset and benefit of longer off season  (Read 1443 times)

Hidden asset and benefit of longer off season
« on: May 26, 2019, 03:15:22 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Jason Tatum has played two seasons including playoffs and has shown a surprising durability .Usually rookies of his quality play for a losing system that is in tanking mode.He has had two long seasons ending in playoff runs and has survived playoff physicality .Marcus has made the playoffs since he was a rookie along with Brown and Tatum those three will soon be seasoned young playoff vets.
Invaluable experience going forward.
If you believe off season is the time players work on the weak areas of their game the shorter playoff run will significantly extend the off season .The young guys have that extra time to get mentally refreshed from last years underwhelming season,to work with trainers and coaches and add to their games.The ability to work out without the travel not preparing for for multiple games and match ups Being able with reps and drills to increase ball handling skills over the summer without the pressure of game time..
Its hard to believe Jason is so young or Brown is 22 and Marcus is the longest tenured Celtic

Re: Hidden asset and benefit of longer off season
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 03:35:12 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Tatum's homework this off season should be adding muscles and post game to his arsenal. I saw him switched into bigger players and he got abused. He should also be smarter with his shot selection. Mid-range game is good but should not be abused, especially when there are other better options.

His passing also need some improvement, along with his off-ball awareness on both sides of the floor. More often than not, he is caught sleeping with his assignments. Guards are also abusing him on the perimeter. He should develop better footwork on defense.

Jaylen's weakness is his shooting and handles, but he proved to be the more versatile player among the 2 J's.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 07:05:30 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Jason Tatum has played two seasons including playoffs and has shown a surprising durability .Usually rookies of his quality play for a losing system that is in tanking mode.He has had two long seasons ending in playoff runs and has survived playoff physicality .Marcus has made the playoffs since he was a rookie along with Brown and Tatum those three will soon be seasoned young playoff vets.
Invaluable experience going forward.
If you believe off season is the time players work on the weak areas of their game the shorter playoff run will significantly extend the off season .The young guys have that extra time to get mentally refreshed from last years underwhelming season,to work with trainers and coaches and add to their games.The ability to work out without the travel not preparing for for multiple games and match ups Being able with reps and drills to increase ball handling skills over the summer without the pressure of game time..
Its hard to believe Jason is so young or Brown is 22 and Marcus is the longest tenured Celtic

Agree to all this. The loss might also make them hungrier and realize they can’t take success for granted.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I see no benefit in extra time off. Maybe if this was an old team or had a bunch of injuries the extra time might be useful, but Boston is neither of those things, but Boston would have been much better off playing longer and deeper into the playoffs
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I see no benefit in extra time off. Maybe if this was an old team or had a bunch of injuries the extra time might be useful, but Boston is neither of those things, but Boston would have been much better off playing longer and deeper into the playoffs

I don’t think he’s saying he’s glad we lost. Or that we couldn’t learn from more playoff experience. He’s looking for a silver lining - given that they weren’t good enough to earn that extended playoff time.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Summer is usually a time to add to your game or fix bad habits.A time to hit the gym.Our young kids have gotten heavy doses of playoffs and Jason proved to be durable in his first two seasons(hidden asset is Jasons durability).An extra 6 weeks tagged on gives that more time to improve.This was a torturous season and i hope free agency and AD trade doesn't damage our young core.I believe Hayward will come back strong and believe he could work well with Marcus and if Jason comes back with just the right amount of bulk our defense will be even better.

An extra month of training with coaches.Putting on muscle for Timelord after watching Giannis and working on his offensive game would be huge.
Remember he had no summer league ,no real pre season and a year of watching.It is hard to plan for Williams as his knees are so suspect.
Going home and falling into bad habits are not an option and i hope the Celts are keeping the pressure on by supplying coaching or a schedule of out of town training programs.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We're talking about a couple of extra weeks, between losing in the Conference Finals versus losing in the second round.  I don''t think that's going to make much of a difference.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
THE CELTICS SEASON ENDED MAY 8 AND THE 7TH GAME OF FINALS JUNE 16.
Then if you figure only ECF May 25

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So, about two weeks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

So, about two weeks.
two weeks? well, that changes everything. i look for a transformed celtics team next season thanks to those two weeks.

::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva