Author Topic: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages  (Read 9342 times)

Re: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."

Well, except if you take 'education reform' to mean fixing the inequalities in the way we deliver education.  It is a critically important issue to BIPOC.

Yeah, I appreciate that it can have that meaning.  It's super vague, which is kind of a problem.

Mostly I think it's funny, but this is also a good example of the problems of having players choose from a pre-approved list of sanitized slogans.

I suppose a charitable interpretation is that Gordo's selection is well meaning but perhaps not the most savvy choice given context.  The Internet is already convinced that Robyn is MAGA and that Gordo is a right leaning Indiana gamerbro ("4Chandler Parsons").  This just advances that image, whether that's intended or not. 

I guess for myself I just find it annoying because I know it's yet another thing we'll be hearing about from opposing fanbases who are happy to look for any evidence that Boston teams, fans, or players are racist.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:13:35 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it was a dumb idea to individualize the messages.  Just choose one slogan for the team and everyone wears that on their jersey.  We are a team after all.

Yeah, it would have been better to be a team message as it would show more cohesiveness. Seems like a missed opportunity.

And Hayward's message is a little cringe - hopefully when he has a chance to explain it, he describes reform in minority school districts and doesn't just call for the end of standardized testing or something.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 03:02:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think Education Reform (See 1619 Project?) is a GREAT one - if this does indeed fall under the label category.

Every single one makes sense.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 03:12:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, by the way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Stupid.  I wish everybody had followed LeBron’s lead on this. Trite wording on the back of a jersey means nothing. If the players care, they should use their massive platforms and millions of dollars to affect real change.

They can do both.

Do the jersey messages really mean anything to anybody? Particularly when they are a product of peer pressure?

I mean clearly, at the very least, they mean something to the players. Isnt that kind of enough?

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 03:28:48 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think it was a dumb idea to individualize the messages.  Just choose one slogan for the team and everyone wears that on their jersey.  We are a team after all.

Given that they are replacing names, which themselves by definition individualize, i got no problem with individual messages. They are a team, but the individual players are people with individual preferences.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 03:42:09 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."

Well, except if you take 'education reform' to mean fixing the inequalities in the way we deliver education.  It is a critically important issue to BIPOC.

Yeah, I appreciate that it can have that meaning.  It's super vague, which is kind of a problem.

They are all vague. Vague is the way to go these days. Just roughly signal and don't get bogged down in the details. Education reform might be the least vague, but the most idiosyncratic.

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 03:50:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=robyn+hayward

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 04:10:36 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Yeah, I think that would have been better.   Overall, I don't think the slogans are something I would have voted for.   Seems too cheesy.

Oh well. There are more serious concerns in the world.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 04:33:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I think you're overthinking it, PhoSita.

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

That's definitely not a good look lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Where does this end? Let's check Danny Ainge, he probably voted for Trump too.

Cancel culture will probably cause the Celtics owners to fire Ainge, and trade or cut Gordon Hayward, because they happen to be Republicans.

Scandalous.

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

Mostly I think it's funny, but this is also a good example of the problems of having players choose from a pre-approved list of sanitized slogans.

I suppose a charitable interpretation is that Gordo's selection is well meaning but perhaps not the most savvy choice given context.  The Internet is already convinced that Robyn is MAGA and that Gordo is a right leaning Indiana gamerbro ("4Chandler Parsons").  This just advances that image, whether that's intended or not. 

I guess for myself I just find it annoying because I know it's yet another thing we'll be hearing about from opposing fanbases who are happy to look for any evidence that Boston teams, fans, or players are racist.

You concern yourself too much with what other people think.  I am sure the Haywards have given much more time and energy to causes than the average idiots on Twitter.  If you know anything about them, they have always chosen education as one of the places to give.  Education is important to them and the NBA approved message seems like a good choice. 

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Where does this end? Let's check Danny Ainge, he probably voted for Trump too.

Cancel culture will probably cause the Celtics owners to fire Ainge, and trade or cut Gordon Hayward, because they happen to be Republicans.

Scandalous.

I personally doubt Danny Ainge voted for Trump.  My guess is he voted for Evan McMullin.

That said, before I posted the link above, I looked him up, and his donations were to Romney, Pags during his Senate bid, and Tanner Ainge during his run for Congress a couple years ago.

Finally, the point isn't about "cancel culture" at all.  It's that Hayward picked the phrase that was least like that of his teammates, and he/his spouse contributed money to Trump a week before the election in 2016, so it really does stand out and call into question his intent behind choosing that particular phrase.

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yes, she and 63 million other people supported a Republican candidate.  Time to form a lynch mob I guess.

and he/his spouse contributed money to Trump a week before the election in 2016

A bit sexist to assume that Robyn votes the same way as her husband, isn’t it?  Are women not allowed to have their own voice?  That’s oddly illiberal for somebody criticizing Hayward for his perceived lack of polical correctness. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes