Author Topic: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages  (Read 9348 times)

Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages
« on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

One of these things is not like the others ....

Yikes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

One of these things is not like the others ....

Yikes.

Which one? Somewhat pleasantly surprised everyone opted for a message.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Assuming you're referencing Hayward. It was one of the league approved options, so what? 

McCollum & Bazemore are also wearing that jersey message.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stupid.  I wish everybody had followed LeBron’s lead on this. Trite wording on the back of a jersey means nothing. If the players care, they should use their massive platforms and millions of dollars to affect real change.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 02:09:39 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."

He’s the one white guy on the team?

I don’t see a problem here. But then again, it seems we are at the point where everything gets made into something. I think education reform is a very important part of the moment as well. And since no other Celtic picked that, I think it’s nice that someone chose it instead of another generic BLM (which the NBA has already plastered everywhere).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 02:12:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
FWIW, McCollum's reasoning on why he is wearing the same exact message on his jersey.

Sean Highkin
@highkin
CJ says he's wearing "Education Reform" on the back of his jersey. "That's something that we lack in certain communities. In the Black community, people of color, kids are at a disadvantage."

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I see nothing wrong with Hayward choosing that.

I'm also pretty sure teammates have had preliminary discussions about what words they would choose to represent. Education reform is something that gives community the knowledge to enrich their lives and strive to achieve success.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I’m guessing no white players will opt for the “Love Us” / “Respect Us” jerseys, eh?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Stupid.  I wish everybody had followed LeBron’s lead on this. Trite wording on the back of a jersey means nothing. If the players care, they should use their massive platforms and millions of dollars to affect real change.

Honestly I agree.  Putting a short, out of context message on the back of a jersey doesn't really mean anything and it reduces what is supposed to be a poignant message to a trite slogan.  And by putting it on a jersey you turn it into merchandise.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

He’s the one white guy on the team?

You're right, I forgot about Theis.  Theis gets it.

Look, "Education Reform" is a super vague phrase that can mean almost anything you want it to.  So on the face of it, it's fine. 

I would say though that it's kind of an odd one to be included in the list of approved messages since in America "education reform" often means something very different (see: Betsy DeVos).

In the context of Gordo being the pasty white guy from Indiana with the 1940s style comb over hair-do on a team of mostly black athletes, it looks a certain kinda way. 

And that's not just me, the immediate and widespread reaction on Twitter was "One of these things is not like the others!"
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

They can do both.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 02:31:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

They can do both.

Do the jersey messages really mean anything to anybody? Particularly when they are a product of peer pressure?

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Well, except if you take 'education reform' to mean fixing the inequalities in the way we deliver education.  It is a critically important issue to BIPOC.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think it was a dumb idea to individualize the messages.  Just choose one slogan for the team and everyone wears that on their jersey.  We are a team after all.