Author Topic: Report: Ainge believes Kyrie re-signs if Celtics acquire Davis  (Read 11823 times)

Re: Report: Ainge believes Kyrie re-signs if Celtics acquire Davis
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2019, 07:42:52 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I'd want a lot more than just "belief."

Do the Celts even have the ability to put the best trade package out there?

If the Knicks offer #3 + Knox + the picks they got from Dallas + Robinson, can the Celts top that?

What if the Lakers offer Kuzma + #4 + Hart + Ball?  Throw in Ingram, if he's cleared 100%.

Maybe the Celts win out if they offer #14 + #20 + #22 + Memphis 2020/2021 + Tatum + Brown ....

That's an awful lot to give up for what could easily end up as a one year rental.

Yes, they can make the best offer, it’s a question of if the best offer is too high of a cost to pay.

And if I’m Griffin, I want Tatum + Brown + Sacto + LAC picks, though I might settle for Tatum, Smart + Memphis plus the 2 picks. Maybe demand RW3 too but prolly not as a dealbreaker.

The thing is, I know why we as Celtics fans feel that the Celtics have the best offer.  We look at Tatum and Brown and we see them as potential future stars. 

Does a GM of another NBA team see them that way, or do they look like "known quantities" as compared to the exciting mystery box of a top 5 pick? 

From a PR standpoint, I think it's easier as a GM to sell a trade that brings back a top 4 pick in the draft because fans are going to be excited about potential. 

Pelicans fans might look at Tatum and Brown and just see two young players who have done some exciting things but are not a sure thing to ever make an All-Star team.  Of course, a top 4 pick has a lower likelihood of turning into one player that even has the potential of making an All-Star team.

Fans can rationalize the trade that brings back the top 4 pick because at least there's a "chance" of that pick turning into a superstar.  A trade for two B / B+ young wings probably feels like the "safe bet."

Griffin is smart, he just got hired, and he's won a title.  He can do whatever he wants right now regardless of PR as much as any GM out there, and it isn't going to be making the 'safe bet.'  I don't know if Brown is a future star by any means, but I'm highly confident that Tatum has more value than RJ Barrett or whoever is supposed to go 4th. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2019, 07:47:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Kyrie is back!

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
none of this matters, kyrie's walking.

I don't think he walks from what is essentially a brand new team with AD. If he wants a different situation, that is also a really good one, it would be right in front of him in Boston.

Not to mention Boston will have the far superior supporting cast still.
KD, NY, 3rd pick and Knick's cast> AD, Bos, C's cast for Irving.

uh, no?

KD, Frank, DSJ, Robinson, Knox, Barrett

AD, Horford, Hayward, Brown, Morris, Baynes, etc.

Brown alone is better than anyone on that NYK team not named KD, and I listed him as potentially 4th on this team. (assuming Hayward gets to 80%)
KD and the City/market alone is uncomparable.

The roster of Barrett, Knox, DSJ, and Robinson is better long term than the C's. C's Morris and Baynes are questions. Horford is getting old. Hayward is a shadow of his former self. Brown is good but its likely Barrett will be a much better player.

Uh, so KD would join a bunch of unproven young guys? And it's the knicks, I'd trust that they'll botched it up like they always do. When was the last time they actually build a solid team? 2013? So, one in 20 years ? And they still also underachieved that season with the 2nd round exit.

When was the last time Knicks actually built a great team through the draft?

There is no indication that Barrett will be much better than Brown. Selfish, lazy defender = signs of a player that can be good but not great. Brown is the exact opposite = flashes of a great defender, learning on the fly and have a great work ethic along with maturity that rarely comes with his age.

I don't really mind if Kyrie joins NY but to say that Barrett is already better than Brown when he haven't even played in the league is nothing but an overhype.

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I don't think he walks from what is essentially a brand new team with AD. If he wants a different situation, that is also a really good one, it would be right in front of him in Boston.

uh, no?

Brown alone is better than anyone on that NYK team not named KD, and I listed him as potentially 4th on this team. (assuming Hayward gets to 80%)

The roster of Barrett, Knox, DSJ, and Robinson is better long term than the C's. C's Morris and Baynes are questions. Horford is getting old. Hayward is a shadow of his former self. Brown is good but its likely Barrett will be a much better player.

Uh, so KD would join a bunch of unproven young guys? And it's the knicks, I'd trust that they'll botched it up like they always do. When was the last time they actually build a solid team? 2013? So, one in 20 years ? And they still also underachieved that season with the 2nd round exit.

There is no indication that Barrett will be much better than Brown. Selfish, lazy defender = signs of a player that can be good but not great. Brown is the exact opposite = flashes of a great defender, learning on the fly and have a great work ethic along with maturity that rarely comes with his age.

I don't really mind if Kyrie joins NY but to say that Barrett is already better than Brown when he haven't even played in the league is nothing but an overhype.
Hold on there let's not forget Knicks ended the KG era here.

And if you seen DSJ, Knox and Robinson  they all have flashed potential they are not bums or scrubs.

As for Barrett vs Brown it's just the facts that Barrett is a better prospect coming out. His ball handling, feel, passing, finishing and scoring is way ahead of Brown coming out of college. The defense is another matter but Barrett wasn't able to push hard on that end and risk fouling out so we will see.

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2019, 08:12:05 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

uh, no?

And if you seen DSJ, Knox and Robinson  they all have flashed potential they are not bums or scrubs.

As for Barrett vs Brown it's just the facts that Barrett is a better prospect coming out. His ball handling, feel, passing, finishing and scoring is way ahead of Brown coming out of college. The defense is another matter but Barrett wasn't able to push hard on that end and risk fouling out so we will see.

DSJ, Knox and Robinson have shown less than Tatum and our guys. If they showed more they wouldnt have been a bottom team in the NBA

Also, NYK will not be able to offer all of those players for Davis.

They need a minimum of Robinson, probably Knox as well, to be able to actually field a team that isnt just a bunch of NBA castoffs at minimum contract value.

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

If the Knicks offer #3 + Knox + the picks they got from Dallas + Robinson, can the Celts top that?

What if the Lakers offer Kuzma + #4 + Hart + Ball?  Throw in Ingram, if he's cleared 100%.

Maybe the Celts win out if they offer #14 + #20 + #22 + Memphis 2020/2021 + Tatum + Brown ....

That's an awful lot to give up for what could easily end up as a one year rental.

I think we have the best offer even without Brown. I was listening to the Game Theory podcast with draft guru Sam Vecenie and the consensus seemed to be a Tatum+MEM pick combo would be better than the LAL or NYK offers in large part because Tatum is still the best asset, and MEM is strong as well. I think this is the generally, tho not universally, held belief among NBA analysts. Lonzo and Ingram values are heavily finished due to injuries and performance. DSJ and Knox weren't good this year. So I don't think it need to be everything, though it.probably does. Need to include Smart for salary reasons.

TLDR: Tatum, Smart, MEM is likely the best package.

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I still believe the deal is.

Tatum, Williams, Yabusele, Semi, Sac Pick, Memphis Pick, Boston 2019 Second, Boston 2020 first.

That adds up to
7.83 - Tatum
3.11 - Yabuselle
1.61 - Semi
1.94 - Williams
2.89 - Sac Pick
2.16 - LAC Pick
3.46 - Cash sent
23 Million outgoing Salary

27,093,018 - Davis Salary

Trade meets CBA rules.

NOP gets

Tatum - potential superstar and a GREAT pairing for Zion and Jrue. they add a young defensive Center with crazy athleticism and motor. (Lob city part 2)
Add a couple young cheap bench players
Add an unprotected pick to their own picks moving forwards.
Add in pick 14 from this draft.
Add in pick 20 in this draft

they go into next season (assuming no other re-signings  or other signings and picks based on Tankathon mock draft)

Jrue/Jackson
Porter Jr/Moore
Tatum/Hill
Zion Williamson/Wood
Fernando/Okafor

They can always look to resign Randle as well (as they should) as Peyton and Johnson.

Team is very young with loads of talent/potential

I don't think that trade works. You'd have to sign those players to contracts in order to trade them. At that point you are not trading picks. Also, don't know about the cash.

I think Smart has to be included for a deal to work at all (unfortunately).

30 days after picks are made and signed at 120% they can be traded.

The cash is allowed up to (this past season at least) 5.3 million per season, per team that can be traded to make trades "balance" or as an asset.
Regarding the cash, you are wrong. Cash can accompany your players in a trade as a separate entity but does not count as salary in a trade. Teams can shell out and receive up to $5.1 million a year in a trade but it doesn`t count as salary. Per Larry Coon at cbafaq.com

98. Can cash be included as part of a trade package?
Players can be traded for cash, and cash can be included in trade packages. The amount of cash a team can pay or receive per season is limited to the "Maximum Annual Cash Limit," which is $5.1 million in 2017-18, with the amount in each subsequent season determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the Maximum Annual Cash Limit will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

Season   Amount
2017-18   $5.1 million
2018-19   $5.243 million
There are two separate limits, one for the cash a team pays as part of trades each season, and the other for the cash a team receives as part of trades each season. For example, in 2017-18 a team may pay up to an aggregate $5.1 million in all trades it makes during the season, and it may receive up to an aggregate $5.1 million in all trades it makes during the season.

The cash applies to the current season's limit even if it changes hands in a future season. For example, suppose a team trades a draft pick that is top-20 protected this season, top-10 protected next season, and converts to $1 million cash if a pick is not conveyed by next season. $1 million is applied to the team's Maximum Annual Cash Limit for the current season.

Cash is NOT considered when matching salaries under the Traded Player exception. For example, a taxpaying team cannot add $3 million cash to a trade of their $5 million player in order to acquire a $10 million player.

In a sign-and-trade arrangement, if the contract contains a signing bonus, then any amount of this bonus paid by the signing team counts toward the team's Maximum Annual Cash Limit (see question number 92).

Also, earlier in the thread, someone mentioned getting KD in a S&T after signing Kyrie and trading for Davis. After that, it's very likely the team would be past the tax apron given increase in salary to Kyrie, an increase in salary between what Davis makes and what we send out in salary and all the cap holds. This makes that S&T problematic to nonsensical.

If over the apron, a S&T necessitates the team receiving the player that is over the apron complete the trade by being under the apron. Meaning, with Durant making $38.2 million we would need to send out enough salary to lower the team under the salary cap by most likely sending out more than just Hayward in a trade.

It means sending GSW salary over Durant's salary or doing multi team deal salary dumping players. Given what we would be giving up in the trades, that probably means dumping an important player.

And it restricts future trades because the team gets hard capped and must stay below that hard cap all year. The team also loses use of the MLE and BLE meaning the only option to sign a player is the vet min.

Ainge would never do that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:25:26 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

uh, no?

DSJ, Knox and Robinson have shown less than Tatum and our guys. If they showed more they wouldnt have been a bottom team in the NBA

They need a minimum of Robinson, probably Knox as well, to be able to actually field a team that isnt just a bunch of NBA castoffs at minimum contract value.

I never mentioned a trade for AD from NYK. You are bouncing around too much Silk. It's you having C's trade for AD. In what is left I say KD, New York market, the Knicks roster are more of a draw for Irving.

Hope that helps reset your bearings

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Supposedly, NOPs' evaluation of Knox did not come glowing with praise.

I consider Ball to be a minus in any trade that he is included in with his horrible shot and family. Holiday is such a nice two way player. Of course, they could move Ball to another team for something of value.

I would think that Tatum, Williams, Smart, all our 2019 picks plus the Memphis pick gets this done. I wouldn't go any farther.

I don't share Danny's belief that Davis will be crucial to KI's decision. His behavior since January screams: "I am going to New York with Durant." I'd love to be wrong.

Do we do the Davis deal if there is no KI? Tough call.

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2019, 08:34:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Would be the perfect offseason. Let's hope it happens!

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2019, 08:38:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Didn't we hear if we sign Horford there is a good shot at KD?

Not expecting Irving to stay here if KD goes to NYK Irving follows.

Barrett, Irving, KD, Knox, Robinson [dang] that's a lot of talent and probably the best team in the East.

Adding Irving and KD to any group of players would make a talented team. This would be like Lebron and Bosh joining the Heat, but without Wade. The Knicks are terrible.

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

uh, no?

I never mentioned a trade for AD from NYK. You are bouncing around too much Silk. It's you having C's trade for AD. In what is left I say KD, New York market, the Knicks roster are more of a draw for Irving.

Hope that helps reset your bearings

Yeah. I have been day drinking amd reaponding to alot of stuffs.

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah the trade proposals are crazy. Still, if we land AD while keeping Smart and one of Tatum or Brown, that’d be an epic coup.

As it stands, we may have to give up all three of Smart, Tatum and Brown, to get it done.

Not Tatum and Brown if New Orleans wants picks, which they will want. So Tatum or Brown plus picks etc.

Agreed, this is my take from the AD thread:

The value of the Memphis pick has gone up considerably and I should think AD will cost Tatum + Smart + 2-3 2019 1sts, but that we should be able to hold either Brown or the Memphis pick out of the deal.  Considering we'd be trying to win now by making the deal, I'd be inclined to keep Brown.
Why Brown and not Smart?  Just my preference.

I would rather keep Brown than Smart, as I believe most of the board would.

We did in fact have a poll on this, and most would  rather keep Brown.

Not at the end of January. 24-15 in favor of trading Jaylen. I am glad people are finally coming back around on him.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98846.msg2613472#msg2613472

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2019, 08:42:23 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'd love to get Davis without getting Kyrie. We bank on Hayward coming back to near 100%, bank on Brown taking the next step, even bank on Tatum staying away from Kobe's house. Get a good point guard not named Rozier or Irving.

It's a dream, I know.

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
I still believe the deal is.

Tatum, Williams, Yabusele, Semi, Sac Pick, Memphis Pick, Boston 2019 Second, Boston 2020 first.

That adds up to
7.83 - Tatum
3.11 - Yabuselle
1.61 - Semi
1.94 - Williams
2.89 - Sac Pick
2.16 - LAC Pick
3.46 - Cash sent
23 Million outgoing Salary

27,093,018 - Davis Salary

Trade meets CBA rules.

NOP gets

Tatum - potential superstar and a GREAT pairing for Zion and Jrue. they add a young defensive Center with crazy athleticism and motor. (Lob city part 2)
Add a couple young cheap bench players
Add an unprotected pick to their own picks moving forwards.
Add in pick 14 from this draft.
Add in pick 20 in this draft

they go into next season (assuming no other re-signings  or other signings and picks based on Tankathon mock draft)

Jrue/Jackson
Porter Jr/Moore
Tatum/Hill
Zion Williamson/Wood
Fernando/Okafor

They can always look to resign Randle as well (as they should) as Peyton and Johnson.

Team is very young with loads of talent/potential

I don't think that trade works. You'd have to sign those players to contracts in order to trade them. At that point you are not trading picks. Also, don't know about the cash.

I think Smart has to be included for a deal to work at all (unfortunately).

30 days after picks are made and signed at 120% they can be traded.

The cash is allowed up to (this past season at least) 5.3 million per season, per team that can be traded to make trades "balance" or as an asset.
Regarding the cash, you are wrong. Cash can accompany your players in a trade as a separate entity but does not count as salary in a trade. Teams can shell out and receive up to $5.1 million a year in a trade but it doesn`t count as salary. Per Larry Coon at cbafaq.com

98. Can cash be included as part of a trade package?
Players can be traded for cash, and cash can be included in trade packages. The amount of cash a team can pay or receive per season is limited to the "Maximum Annual Cash Limit," which is $5.1 million in 2017-18, with the amount in each subsequent season determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the Maximum Annual Cash Limit will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

Season   Amount
2017-18   $5.1 million
2018-19   $5.243 million
There are two separate limits, one for the cash a team pays as part of trades each season, and the other for the cash a team receives as part of trades each season. For example, in 2017-18 a team may pay up to an aggregate $5.1 million in all trades it makes during the season, and it may receive up to an aggregate $5.1 million in all trades it makes during the season.

The cash applies to the current season's limit even if it changes hands in a future season. For example, suppose a team trades a draft pick that is top-20 protected this season, top-10 protected next season, and converts to $1 million cash if a pick is not conveyed by next season. $1 million is applied to the team's Maximum Annual Cash Limit for the current season.

Cash is NOT considered when matching salaries under the Traded Player exception. For example, a taxpaying team cannot add $3 million cash to a trade of their $5 million player in order to acquire a $10 million player.

In a sign-and-trade arrangement, if the contract contains a signing bonus, then any amount of this bonus paid by the signing team counts toward the team's Maximum Annual Cash Limit (see question number 92).

Also, earlier in the thread, someone mentioned getting KD in a S&T after signing Kyrie and trading for Davis. After that, it's very likely the team would be past the tax apron given increase in salary to Kyrie, an increase in salary between what Davis makes and what we send out in salary and all the cap holds. This makes that S&T problematic to nonsensical.

If over the apron, a S&T necessitates the team receiving the player that is over the apron complete the trade by being under the apron. Meaning, with Durant making $38.2 million we would need to send out enough salary to lower the team under the salary cap by most likely sending out more than just Hayward in a trade.

It means sending GSW salary over Durant's salary or doing multi team deal salary dumping players. Given what we would be giving up in the trades, that probably means dumping an important player.

And it restricts future trades because the team gets hard capped and must stay below that hard cap all year. The team also loses use of the MLE and BLE meaning the only option to sign a player is the vet min.

Ainge would never do that.

Hmm.

My bad on that.

Little tweaking needed but not a major hurdle