Author Topic: What has happened to Okafor  (Read 9463 times)

Re: What has happened to Okafor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
who......?

He's the guy that half of the board traded Marcus Smart for.

Mike

TP ..... ;)

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Booker (cut by 76ers) for Okafor (not in the rotation) and Knicks 2019 2nd

Overseas next season is my guess.
Makes sense. He could become a legend in China. I doubt he makes it in the more competitive Euro- leagues.

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Still young but man, what a bust.

Such a waste of (offensive) talent.

Philly went though a bunch of lottery picks to finally settle on Embiid , Fultz and Simmons .   Thats a boat load of screwing fans and not playing basketball for years .....the blind squirrel method of finding star players  ...throw darts and not play basketball for years.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 06:46:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Considering we likely won't be able to keep BOTH Baynes + Monroe after this year (probably just 1), see if Okafor is willing to come here on a 1 year, vet. min deal to build his value. Best case scenario, he's an above average big for us off the bench. Low risk, but potentially high reward. I think Okafor would legitimately consider it since it's not like a team is willing to hand him a big contract now obviously, and who better than CBS to increase his stock while also being able to play for a contender.
Brad Stevens hasn't been able to raise the value or play of James Young, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk or Marcus Smart. None of those players got really, any much better while playing under Stevens. They came in as one player and after bei g around Stevens, sometimes for 4 years, were still pretty much the same player.

Sometimes players just aren't good or don't really develop any. I tend to think Ojafor is one of those players and Stevens isn't going to make any difference in his development.

Sad but true, TP.

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
who......?

He's the guy that half of the board traded Marcus Smart for.

Mike

lol  TP

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Philly went though a bunch of lottery picks to finally settle on Embiid , Fultz and Simmons .   Thats a boat load of screwing fans and not playing basketball for years.
In only 5 seasons, their team was torn down and rebuilt into a top team in the league (5th best record, 4th best point differential).  Their lottery picks from the Hinkie era until now (5 drafts) were Noel, MCW, Embiid, Saric, Okafor, Simmons and Fultz.  So two stars, a solid starter and a work in progress all under 25 plus MCW was recycled into this year's Lakers pick.  To top it off, they can make cap space to get a Max free agent this offseason.  As for their fans, they are packing their arena (3rd best attendance) not sulking about a few down years. 

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Considering we likely won't be able to keep BOTH Baynes + Monroe after this year (probably just 1), see if Okafor is willing to come here on a 1 year, vet. min deal to build his value. Best case scenario, he's an above average big for us off the bench. Low risk, but potentially high reward. I think Okafor would legitimately consider it since it's not like a team is willing to hand him a big contract now obviously, and who better than CBS to increase his stock while also being able to play for a contender.
Brad Stevens hasn't been able to raise the value or play of James Young, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk or Marcus Smart. None of those players got really, any much better while playing under Stevens. They came in as one player and after bei g around Stevens, sometimes for 4 years, were still pretty much the same player.

Sometimes players just aren't good or don't really develop any. I tend to think Ojafor is one of those players and Stevens isn't going to make any difference in his development.

I think every player you just mentioned got at least one more contract in the NBA and Olynyk is playing a big role for a playoff team and just got a million dollar bonus for playing a certain number of games for the 1st time in his career.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think every player you just mentioned got at least one more contract in the NBA and Olynyk is playing a big role for a playoff team and just got a million dollar bonus for playing a certain number of games for the 1st time in his career.
Doesn't change the fact they didn't get any better while playing under Brad Stevens. All it means is that teams were willing to pay for a player to play for them at the level those players were playing at when they left the Celtics.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Philly went though a bunch of lottery picks to finally settle on Embiid , Fultz and Simmons .   Thats a boat load of screwing fans and not playing basketball for years.
In only 5 seasons, their team was torn down and rebuilt into a top team in the league (5th best record, 4th best point differential).  Their lottery picks from the Hinkie era until now (5 drafts) were Noel, MCW, Embiid, Saric, Okafor, Simmons and Fultz.  So two stars, a solid starter and a work in progress all under 25 plus MCW was recycled into this year's Lakers pick.  To top it off, they can make cap space to get a Max free agent this offseason.  As for their fans, they are packing their arena (3rd best attendance) not sulking about a few down years.

That sounds nice when you put it that way, but I do think 5 years is a long time in the modern NBA when contracts usually only run 4 years. They had enough cap space to have potentially signed some great players if their team wasn't such a wreck.  No top players were signing on to that mess.

The Process was basically about not only not competing on the floor, but admitting franchise incompetence in rebuilding in any other way, e.g. FA and trades, or finding and developing someone not named Covington (whose talent and role remind me of #34: Kevin Gamble).  Now maybe they finally have enough to pieces to work with, but they didn't do much with their lesser assets I don't think, so I'm not sure they can do the difficult good-to-great transformative work.  And even after all that, they need to keep and pay those guys. The Clippers drafted quite a few good players over the years, and their franchise made money too. They sucked.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Doesn't change the fact they didn't get any better while playing under Brad Stevens. All it means is that teams were willing to pay for a player to play for them at the level those players were playing at when they left the Celtics.

I think they all got better.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

i don't disagree with you at all, but the levels you always go to defend 76ers whenever someone says something negative about them is pretty hilarious

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I am guessing the opinion that all of those players got better under Stevens would be in the vast minority.

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 08:26:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I am guessing the opinion that all of those players got better under Stevens would be in the vast minority.

Yea there are obviously some players that were just not NBA players under Stevens. He isn't a magician. Okafor may just not be an NBA player for various reasons (perhaps some of them just effort and conditioning)>

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

i don't disagree with you at all, but the levels you always go to defend 76ers whenever someone says something negative about them is pretty hilarious
The fact that folks on here are still complaining about the Sixers tanking and "screwing their fans" is hilarious to me.  It doesn't take much effort or thought to respond to those "ostrich with his head in the sand" type of arguments.  Fans of at least half the league would kill to be in the Sixers position. 

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That sounds nice when you put it that way, but I do think 5 years is a long time in the modern NBA when contracts usually only run 4 years. They had enough cap space to have potentially signed some great players if their team wasn't such a wreck.  No top players were signing on to that mess.

The Process was basically about not only not competing on the floor, but admitting franchise incompetence in rebuilding in any other way, e.g. FA and trades, or finding and developing someone not named Covington (whose talent and role remind me of #34: Kevin Gamble).  Now maybe they finally have enough to pieces to work with, but they didn't do much with their lesser assets I don't think, so I'm not sure they can do the difficult good-to-great transformative work.  And even after all that, they need to keep and pay those guys. The Clippers drafted quite a few good players over the years, and their franchise made money too. They sucked.
Grant is a rotation player for the Thunder. Smith found his groove in Philly and is playing well on the Pistons. Tim Frazier seems to be playing well. Dedmon went through Philly. McConnell and Holmes were undrafted and a 2nd rounder, both in their 3rd year and playing well.  Not stars but quality role players all given a chance to prove it in Philly and they did just that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip