Author Topic: Sox vs Stros, Game 5  (Read 30360 times)

Re: Sox vs Stros, Game 5
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Apparently Kimbrell was tipping his pitches all offseason until game 5 of the ALDS (with Eric Gagne of all people being the one that told Cora). That certainly explains why both the Yankees and Astros were teeing off on him, and why he did better in game 5

Figuring that out doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, though, since he could have been tipping pitches in multiple ways and we just caught the one
I'm bitter.

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Apparently Kimbrell was tipping his pitches all offseason until game 5 of the ALDS (with Eric Gagne of all people being the one that told Cora). That certainly explains why both the Yankees and Astros were teeing off on him, and why he did better in game 5

Figuring that out doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, though, since he could have been tipping pitches in multiple ways and we just caught the one

The still doesn’t explain his poor control but it does make me feel a little better

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

The still doesn’t explain his poor control but it does make me feel a little better

Maybe he was just overthrowing and ended up losing control on his pitches, because he was overcompensating over the fact that the batters were so locked in on him. He could have just been a head case too over the fact that he and the coaching staff were so concerned about reasons 2-10 (between mechanics, arm angles, pitch selection, etc) that they totally glossed over reason #1 of tipping his pitches. Kimbrell pretty much mowed everyone down in game 5 after figuring out he was tipping his pitches.

« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yeh.  That was my thought when I heard this explanation. 
Yup

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I would think that hitters being locked in more made him try to work more on the corners (which led to more balls), and possibly overthrowing a bit to try to make up for everyone teeing off on him for seemingly no reason

I agree that it doesn't make me hugely confident though, he looked much better in game 5 but starting to tip your pitches is not something you can just write off. On th bright side, though, the Red Sox should be watching closely to see if any of our other pitchers are/start tipping pitches
I'm bitter.