Author Topic: 2018 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 87483 times)

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #915 on: June 22, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ainge on if the team explored moving into the second round to add a pick: "We talked about it, but our roster, we don't need more young players, really."

I would like us to get rid of Nader and sign Rawle Alkins and Trevon Duval to 2-way contracts or 2 year minimum deals with a partial guarantee in year 1, like $25-75k.

Agreed Alkins will probably be given a chance to try out again for the team on a team friendly contract or 10 day contract.

Too late, as the Knicks have signed both Alkins and Trier on two-way deals :'(. I think. Sigh.

I also completely disagree with Ainge's assertion that, "we don't need more young players, really." ::) We can't possibly upgrade from Yabusele, Nader, and Allen, among others? Give me a break ::).

Of course you do.  I told you Alkins would go undrafted.

That said, they can only be signed to summer league contracts right now.  No 2-way deals, or even training camp invites, can be signed until after the league moratorium.

« Reply #916 on: June 22, 2018, 01:53:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ainge on if the team explored moving into the second round to add a pick: "We talked about it, but our roster, we don't need more young players, really."

I would like us to get rid of Nader and sign Rawle Alkins and Trevon Duval to 2-way contracts or 2 year minimum deals with a partial guarantee in year 1, like $25-75k.

Agreed Alkins will probably be given a chance to try out again for the team on a team friendly contract or 10 day contract.

Too late, as the Knicks have signed both Alkins and Trier on two-way deals :'(. I think. Sigh.

I also completely disagree with Ainge's assertion that, "we don't need more young players, really." ::) We can't possibly upgrade from Yabusele, Nader, and Allen, among others? Give me a break ::).

That said, they can only be signed to summer league contracts right now.  No 2-way deals, or even training camp invites, can be signed until after the league moratorium.

Welp, looks like the Raptors have signed him, instead :-\. Our loss :-\. Sigh.

« Reply #917 on: June 22, 2018, 02:28:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Now I'm excited about Summer League.  Anybody heard what the Celtics plans are?

Yeah starting lineup

Allen-Bird-Tatum-Semi-Williams

That is a borderline playoff team starting five in the East.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #918 on: June 22, 2018, 06:10:46 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Now I'm excited about Summer League.  Anybody heard what the Celtics plans are?

Yeah starting lineup

Allen-Bird-Tatum-Semi-Williams

That is a borderline playoff team starting five in the East.

Tatum can’t be playing. Would Yabu play?

Williams
Semi
Bird
Yabu

Would be a decent foundation, plus maybe Kadeem Allen.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #919 on: June 22, 2018, 06:11:25 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Wanted the french pg, bad history with bigs from acie earl to jujaun johnson

« Reply #920 on: June 22, 2018, 07:07:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Welp, looks like the Raptors have signed him, instead :-\. Our loss :-\. Sigh.

He won't be a loss. And Yabu has better potential than him. Right now even Nader has more value, because he knows the system, the guys know him. Those are more important for players that aren't going to be playing anyway, mostly for lockerroom and practice.

« Reply #921 on: June 22, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

We can upgrade them with actual, honest-to-god NBA players instead of undrafted rookies
I'm bitter.

« Reply #922 on: June 22, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We can upgrade them with actual, honest-to-god NBA players instead of undrafted rookies

Exactly.  Ainge didn't say "we don't need more players".  He just wants guys who can contribute 1 through 15 on the roster.

At the same time, there would have been no harm in buying a second rounder.  I believe we had $5 million to spend, which resets July 1.  Since we won't be using that money in all probability, the only cost would have been to Wyc's checkbook.  Drafting some decent talent on a two-way deal would have been worth it in my mind.

But, it's almost completely irrelevant.  Rawle Alkins is not going to be the difference between a playoff win versus a loss.  Whoever we bring in to fill out our roster could be.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #923 on: June 22, 2018, 07:51:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Exactly.  Ainge didn't say "we don't need more players".  He just wants guys who can contribute 1 through 15 on the roster.

At the same time, there would have been no harm in buying a second rounder.  I believe we had $5 million to spend, which resets July 1.  Since we won't be using that money in all probability, the only cost would have been to Wyc's checkbook.  Drafting some decent talent on a two-way deal would have been worth it in my mind.

But, it's almost completely irrelevant.  Rawle Alkins is not going to be the difference between a playoff win versus a loss.  Whoever we bring in to fill out our roster could be.

My understanding is that 2nd rounders weren’t being sold this year.  The Bulls had egg on their face for selling Jordan Bell to the Warriors last year, and no one wanted to be that team this year.  Would have probably required a future 2nd to get into this year’s draft, and as we didn’t NEED a 2nd, it makes sense to hold onto it for the future.

« Reply #924 on: June 22, 2018, 05:44:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
He won't be a loss. And Yabu has better potential than him. Right now even Nader has more value, because he knows the system, the guys know him. Those are more important for players that aren't going to be playing anyway, mostly for lockerroom and practice.

Naturally, I completely disagree, lol ;D, but do you really not think that he would have been a good player to have off of the bench, primarily owing to Smart's free agency, and how does Yabusele have better/more potential than Alkins? Dude couldn't even get on the court despite all of our injuries ::). Ugh.

Sure. I guess that I just thought that he could help us :-\.

If that's true, then why are Yabusele, Kadeem Allen, and Nader still on our roster, and where did I ever say anything remotely related to Rawle Alkins being the difference between a playoff win versus a loss, lol?

Do you honestly not believe that Alkins would be an upgrade over any/all of those three guys, because I certainly do. Injuries happen, as we've seen, unfortunately, and as a result I don't see any harm in trying to upgrade the team's overall talent by any means necessary. Sigh. I just, well, thought that he could help :-\.

At least he would have stayed up for the conference call ::)...

« Reply #925 on: June 22, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Naturally, I completely disagree, lol ;D, but do you really not think that he would have been a good player to have off of the bench, primarily owing to Smart's free agency, and how does Yabusele have better/more potential than Alkins? Dude couldn't even get on the court despite all of our injuries ::). Ugh.

If that's true, then why are Yabusele, Kadeem Allen, and Nader still on our roster, and where did I ever say anything remotely related to Rawle Alkins being the difference between a playoff win versus a loss, lol?

Do you honestly not believe that Alkins would be an upgrade over any/all of those three guys, because I certainly do. Injuries happen, as we've seen, unfortunately, and as a result I don't see any harm in trying to upgrade the overall talent on our team by any means necessary. Sigh. I just, well, thought that he could help :-\.

Beat LA, we get it, you're ticked we didn't draft your binkie.

Same here... I want Tryggvi!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #926 on: June 22, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Do you honestly not believe that Alkins would be an upgrade over any/all of those three guys, because I certainly do. Injuries happen, as we've seen, unfortunately, and as a result I don't see any harm in trying to upgrade the overall talent on our team by any means necessary. Sigh. I just, well, thought that he could help :-\.

Honestly, it's far less about Alkins than it is, well, about taking a guy with a questionable motor and/or concerns pertaining to work ethic, as history tells us that these kinds of guys rarely pan out, which also means that we've potentially taken a roster spot away from a possible contributor, not to mention the fact that this could very well turn out to be a complete waste of money, imo, but whatever. It's not my cash, lol ;D.

Saltlover, himself, cited Gerald Green and James Young as the two most recent examples of Boston taking "lottery talents" who "somehow fell" in the draft, and, as it later turned out, for the very same reasons that have me concerned about Williams, i.e., motor and work ethic, but hey, who knows, maybe "Phone Home" will win the dunk contest, next year, and before his knee(s) give(s) out ::). Ugh.

« Reply #927 on: June 22, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!

Really??? Ugh, I was hoping they'd find some way to land a 2nd round pick (even if via purchase). There were a lot of intriguing names still there in the 2nd round IMO.

Also, we don't have a 2nd round pick next year either LOL unless if it lands between 31-55 I believe (otherwise at 56-60 it goes to OKC... again)

That said we could have as many as four first rounders next year! (Though hopefully it's 3 and the Grizzlies one doesn't convey for now)  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #928 on: June 22, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Honestly, it's far less about Alkins than it is, well, about taking a guy with a questionable motor and/or concerns pertaining to work ethic, as history tells us that these kinds of guys rarely pan out, which also means that we've potentially taken a roster spot away from a possible contributor, not to mention the fact that this could very well turn out to be a complete waste of money, imo, but whatever. It's not my cash, lol ;D.

Saltlover, himself, cited Gerald Green and James Young as the two most recent examples of Boston taking "lottery talents" who "somehow fell" in the draft, and, as it later turned out, for the very same reasons that have me concerned about Williams, i.e., motor and work ethic, but hey, who knows, maybe "Phone Home" will win the dunk contest, next year, and before his knee(s) give(s) out ::). Ugh.

We have guards for days. Any guard we would have drafted would be end of bench fodder or Eurostash.I like the idea that we took a possible impact big at 27. Who knows if he'll turn out but whats done is done, we wait and see now..

« Reply #929 on: June 22, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't know the rules about 2way contracts but don't we already have our two that carry over from last season? Unless we are getting rid or signing one then I don't think we can add any more. Our roster is definitely full already, I really don't see us moving anyone to sign the 2ways we have now. IIRC, if we bring everyone back, our roster is full without our rookie already. There is no doubt in my mind that Monroe isn't out, so right now Rook is 15. Maybe we let go of Larkin but even then I think we will promote bird or sign a vet. That is the only way we can add another player or 2way if everyone (baynes and smart) returns.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)