Author Topic: When does optimism meet reality?  (Read 17287 times)

When does optimism meet reality?
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When any sports season starts, being a fan means hoping and dreaming that your team will win it all. Every new season brings that chance that every little thing could go right and the team could do this and that rookie could become this and that player could break out and all the stars will align and a championship will be celebrated at the end of the season. Hope is there and optimism abounds and cheering your team on becomes a joy .

But with the exception of championship years there always comes that point where optimism meets reality. The point where you realize that your team just isn't good enough to win the championship. For some fans that time comes in spring training or training camp or the pre-season. Some teams just aren't good enough from the get go. For others it comes early in the season. Still others that moment doesn't arrive until much later in the season, like maybe the playoffs. And yet, for others, the hopeless hopeful, that moment doesn't come until the final whistle, horn or out of the season.

But that moment always comes unless your team wins it all. So, regarding this Celtics team, has that moment come for you? If so when did it come for you? And for those where this moment hasn't arrived, when does it usually arrive for you?

For me, in 2007-08, it never arrived. I thought that team would win it all until the end and they did. It was the first time I felt like that about a Celtics team since the late 80's. Last year, it didn't arrive until the 4th quarter of game seven versus Orlando. Sure, in retrospect, I guess I should have known better seeing that KG was injured and that Leon was then injured. But I couldn't help myself. Until Orlando pulled away in the fourth in that game seven, I just was positive that team could win it all.

But this year, it's a different story. That moment arrived on February 10th, the day before the All-Star break. After watching Darren Collison do a number on the Celtics and watch the Hornets blitz the Celtics in the second half of that game, optimism met reality for me and I knew they couldn't win it all this year. That game is the perfect example of this Celtic season. Strong start, no excellent start. Horrible middle and weak ending with serious lack of effort and watching inferior players and teams do a number on them while this Celtics team whines to the refs and wonders how it all happened.

Now, just because your optimism has met your reality doesn't mean that you are any more or less of a fan or that you can't be proven wrong. As any Red Sox fan knows, your optimism can meet your reality and you can still win the championship. Need I say anything more than Games 4,5,6,and 7 of the 2004 ALCS. I think my optimism met my reality so much during those games that they became married.

And on the other side of the coin, just because your optimism doesn't meet your reality until that final buzzer or horn or whatever, it doesn't mean that you are any more or less of a fan. Your are the eternal optimist believing in something until the very end and that's okay, too. This world could use more people like you.

But in the end, unless your team wins it all, and let's face it, even with the success of the Celtics as a franchise, unless you are in your 60's or older, your optimism meets your reality way more often than that championship season. So tell me, do you really need for that final buzzer to sound or does it creep in earlier, even if it is a quarter or half or game or half a season earlier?

Re: When does optimism meet reality?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »

Kiorrik

When does optimism meet reality?
In the playoffs.

Can I close the topic now, seeing as your question is answered? ;)

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I still remain hopeful.  However, the recent string of losses has been a bit of a reality check to the thought that, when healthy, this is the best team in the NBA.  They're not, and they haven't been in awhile.

Still, stranger things have happened than them winning the title this year, and I'm still pulling hard for that outcome.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:10 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
When the team is out. 

Realistically, I am very worried.

But the fan in me has to believe they can win.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oh, I'm still cheering them on and hoping beyond hope that they can overcome all the obstacles before them both external and internal, but deep down, I know they aren't going to win it all. It doesn't mean I'm right. It's just how I feel.

And as I said, I don't think that makes me a better or worse fan or a more or less knowledgeable fan. It just makes me a fan that thinks they can't win it all this year. I don't think fans like me stop cheering their teams on or hoping they lose, I just think we have come to a realization, one that may or may not be true.

And for those that do believe until the very end, good for you, although something deep down tells me that you don't really feel that way until the VERY end. That at some point, maybe a minute before the final buzzer, a few minutes, a quarter or a half or even a game or two before, you realize it. At least I think so.

Remember this has nothing to do with being a fan or whether you are going to support your team. This is about your internal realization of discovery that this, or for that matter any other team, just isn't good enough in that particular year. Some very few times that feeling is wrong. Almost all of the time when you get that feeling though, it's right.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:54:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
On the bright side, if you compare our team to the Miami Heat championship winning squad  you'll find some similarities. They too were a veteran team (Shaq, Zo, Payton, Walker, etc.) that basically sleep walked into the playoffs. They finished the regular season with only 52 wins. We have 48 with 5 games to play. They also finished the regular season poorly, going 7-9 during their last 16 games, with quite a few questionable losses along the way. However, they picked up their play during the playoffs, got hot, and the rest is history.

Can we do the same? Who knows? But at least optimism gets a little support from recent history.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I won't count this team out until the final buzzer of an elimination game in the playoffs sounds.

Frankly, I still believe (and think, it's not only "hope") that this team will perform at a much better level in the playoffs. I'm not saying that the C's will go 16-0 and destroy their opponents but I do think that we won't see the schizophrenic team we've seen all season long. A big part of their struggles is still (mainly) focus, and I except their focus to be very high during the entire playoffs.

Anyway, what is sure is that I've always wanted the playoffs to come sooner, but never that soon until this season... and I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel like this.

To cut a long story short, I won't put a definitive judgment on this team until the playoffs are over - if they win it all, everybody will forget this season, and if they lose "early" in the playoffs, well, this will be proof that the season was a good prediction of the playoffs for this team.

But until then... I say we will meet reality in the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:24:30 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
My feeling is this.

Even though we are not playing to our potential, we can still win games.

It's not like we are the Golden State Warriors or anything.

Even though we have been basically a .500 team for much of the season...that's all we really need to be in the Playoffs....a better than .500 team.

When we won the chip in 2008 Playoffs we basically were a .500 team....and we played in the most playoffs game on our route to the title: an NBA record.

Even last season's playoffs, each series took the full tilt.

I am guessing that's just who this team is in the end, a very good team when it counts....not really a dominant team like the 2000 Lakers who went 15-1 in the postseason

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
....At the Trade Deadline.....which is also where for me optimism met reality for the rest of the KG contract and beyond...When all we got was Nate (and I was all for and am still happy with that trade and hope they resign him next year, especially if Doc is gone and we get a somewhat resourceful coach who knows how to use him and the rest of his resources effctively)it was clear to me then that Wyc and Co., spewing the party line/mantra echoed by Doc and Danny of "I like this team" which translated to "We don't want to be encumbered and spend any more $$$, which is why we didn't move Ray", felt that they had invested enough in this team, got a championship out of it, and will ride these horses into the ground. They also sent the message that even though the team is not always hustling and putting forth its best effort and even though Wyc and Co. are done investing in it, those dopey fans (some of us) will continue to come to games and buy merchandise. It's ironic that I minded that far less before KG/RA/Pierce when at least the team was perceived by me to be trying.

We needed a trade then, not because we don't need Ray, since he and Rondo have been the lone bright spots this year, but to shake this team up and out of its complacency and perceived lack of urgency and caring. Doc has obviously not been able or willing to take the steps necessary to do this.This team needed to be sent a message that no one is "safe" and that we'll bench or trade anyone, even for less value, if it benefits the team either talent wise or attitude wise. It also could have made us competeitive for the rest of the KG contract with the added but costly talent.

I just hope that Wyc and CO. will at least use the full MLE that is available to them to improve the team for next year. Everyone on this board takes that as a given. I wouldn't bet my house on it.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
good post.  even the most negative poster on here has to admit we are only 2 years removed from a championship squad, that's really not that long although it does feel like it.

what this team is missing is definitely focus and, more importantly, drive.  they really just don't seem like they care, and they don't help themselves with remarks like "this team is built for the postseason" and "we're bored".  those quotes disappoint me as a fan, i'm not really gonna get into why.

say what you want about lebron and kobe, when they lose they cry; they storm off the court.  they give off the impression that they would rather lose an appendage than lose a game, even during the regular season.  i wish we saw more of that from more of the guys on our team.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:19:06 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Even though we have been basically a .500 team for much of the season...that's all we really need to be in the Playoffs....a better than .500 team.

Well said and a good way to look at it. TP.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
What kills my optimism is that this team doesn't compete and no one in the organization seems to care.  I mean, the problems with this team's lack of effort and focus have been obvious for at least 40 games now and nothing's been done about them.  This team isn't losing because it's old or because it's injured.  The Cs during the declining years of the Bird era were often old and injured and they NEVER looked like this.

I can't be too disappointed because these guys did win a title, but they should be embarassed as the lack of maturity and professionalism they've shown this season.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
What kills my optimism is that this team doesn't compete and no one in the organization seems to care.  I mean, the problems with this team's lack of effort and focus have been obvious for at least 40 games now and nothing's been done about them.  This team isn't losing because it's old or because it's injured.  The Cs during the declining years of the Bird era were often old and injured and they NEVER looked like this.

I can't be too disappointed because these guys did win a title, but they should be embarassed as the lack of maturity and professionalism they've shown this season.

Mike
And Larry Bird is not walking through that door unfortunately.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 11:34:48 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Oh, I'm still cheering them on and hoping beyond hope that they can overcome all the obstacles before them both external and internal, but deep down, I know they aren't going to win it all. It doesn't mean I'm right. It's just how I feel.

And as I said, I don't think that makes me a better or worse fan or a more or less knowledgeable fan. It just makes me a fan that thinks they can't win it all this year. I don't think fans like me stop cheering their teams on or hoping they lose, I just think we have come to a realization, one that may or may not be true.

And for those that do believe until the very end, good for you, although something deep down tells me that you don't really feel that way until the VERY end. That at some point, maybe a minute before the final buzzer, a few minutes, a quarter or a half or even a game or two before, you realize it. At least I think so.

Remember this has nothing to do with being a fan or whether you are going to support your team. This is about your internal realization of discovery that this, or for that matter any other team, just isn't good enough in that particular year. Some very few times that feeling is wrong. Almost all of the time when you get that feeling though, it's right.

I know most fans aren't going to just stop rooting.

I am just comparing myself to what many seem to think reality is based on some of what I read here.  (Celtics have little to no chance)

No matter how bad I might see, I can't give up the belief they will win until they are out.

And sometimes, they will reward your belief.  (see the Giants)

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I have to see how this team responds and plays in the playoffs.
I can't write them off until I get a feel for any given series. It's too easy to use the distant or recent past games, percentages put out by computers and looking at teams on paper to make a judgement. After all, "that's why they play the games." Otherwise Vegas would be broke.