Author Topic: Ray Allen's three point shooting  (Read 7805 times)

Re: Ray Allen's three point shooting
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
Wow, those stats are interesting.  I wonder how other players compare.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The simple answer to the problem is that he's not getting up enough shots. Shooters need to shoot. This means Rondo and Perkins should stop shooting, especially Perkins. Just the thought of Perk with the ball in his hands makes me want to puke.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Ray's shooting is based a lot of rhythm...i feel this season's slippage of his three point shooting is due to the team's offense not clinking with the same rhythm as in the past.He had developed a rhythm with KG,Paul,Rondo and Perk in 07-2008 & this past season.The Big 3 hasn't been on the court together for long enough stretches for him to get on track the way he has in the past seasons.I don't feel age is the primary reason.   
This quintet has played almost 50 games together this year and a bunch more in seasons past

If he can't get into a rhythm in 50 games playing with guys he's been playing with regularly for 2 1/2 years, he isn't going to

I think the rhythm argument is just wrong
Ray,KG and Pierce have played 50games together this season but it hasn't been an offense with a lot of smooth flow to it either ...also i didn't say anything about last couple seasons being a problem.I thought he did alright the last few seasons.

Also,if you have played basketball yourself,you know there are players that play much better when they are in a rhythm,and Ray is one of those players.

I've played basketball....why do people have to throw out the "if you've played basketball" line to give meaning to a subjective interpretation

I have always found rhythm in ball to be an in game circumstance

Success over a period of time isn't rhythm, it's proper execution and performance

Ray hasn't gotten long term rhythm because the offense hasn't been as efficient but also because he hasn't been as efficient from three point land which makes defensing the offense as a whole easier

I don't buy the rhythm excuse from as long a period of time as 50 games

But we can agree to disagree
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 07:32:45 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
The simple answer to the problem is that he's not getting up enough shots. Shooters need to shoot. This means Rondo and Perkins should stop shooting, especially Perkins. Just the thought of Perk with the ball in his hands makes me want to puke.
Ray is on pace to put up as many shots this year as any other in his time here

The amount of shots is not a problem here
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
I find this very informative. Here are Ray's 3 point shooting percentages based on rest:
0 days  27.5%
1 day   35.7%
2 days  34.3%
3+ days 38.7%

In fact, there is a pretty clear pattern with his shooting and energy numbers:

FG%    FT%    SPG   BPG 
0 days  44.3%   81%   0.62   0.15
1 day   46.7%   91%   0.71   0.29
2 days  50.0%   89%   1.17   0.33
3+ days 51.2%  100%   1.00   0.43

Despite this, he still averages 36 minutes on back-to-backs (and all other games). I'd like to see his numbers by quarter in the back to backs - if they are lower at the end of games, the solution seems simple: play him less, especially in back to backs!
Giving one for some very good research

Just goes to show that it takes longer him to recover and it effects his performance

But where it is most effecting his performance is in distance shooting and that is definitely caused by age
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
As far as Ray and his 3pt numbers, no doubt age may be playing a factor, but I definetly do not thing its the only factor, or even the biggest factor.

In regards to Rays numbers over his career, remember, he was the #1 guy on those Miluakee and Seattle team, so he had the ball in his hands probably 2x 0r 3x as much as he has had now as a celtic.

So he always had a feel for the ball, the entire game, which is critical for a scorer. And even more critical for a scorer who is a shooter.  (ex. a scorer=AI) (a shooter=Kapono) (a scorer who is a shooter=Ray Ray)

I see the numbers and all, but my thing is, its no secret, or surprise the most people see and believe that Ray Allen has been the most consistent of the Big 3, over the past 3 years, till now.

So I'm almost wondering, if Ray's "streaky shooting" being a topic of concern,  is more of a result of Paul and KG's decline,Thus Ray Allens game is now sticking out, more than ever before  and less of Ray all of a sudden being very streaky.

To me Ray has been consistent since he's been in Green. and by consistent I mean; he's always gone thru stretches of being streaky and his play has seemed to be at a similar level each year...

Ex.
Ray making the All-Star team for the last 3 years wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Paul Pierce making the All-Star team the last 3 years wouldn't raise any eyebrows, but questions might arise about this years trip to dallas.

KG making the All-star team the last 3 years, the last 2 years would defintely raise a few eyebrows. (of course one was due to injury)

So I think Ray Allens isn't necessarily dropping off on a steep decline, but I think he is more noticeable now, because those around him (pp-kg) are declining at a faster rate than Ray.

Bit confused

Ray didn't go to 3 All-Star games as a Celtic just two and really probably only deserved 1 so him going last year did raise some eyebrows and if he went this year there probably would have been a media storm questioning it

Ray has been consistent, the most consistent of the three but overall his performance was also probably the least spectacular when all three were playing well

Ray has been consistent this year but part of that is he has been consistently mediocre or worse from long range
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As far as Ray and his 3pt numbers, no doubt age may be playing a factor, but I definetly do not thing its the only factor, or even the biggest factor.

In regards to Rays numbers over his career, remember, he was the #1 guy on those Miluakee and Seattle team, so he had the ball in his hands probably 2x 0r 3x as much as he has had now as a celtic.

So he always had a feel for the ball, the entire game, which is critical for a scorer. And even more critical for a scorer who is a shooter.  (ex. a scorer=AI) (a shooter=Kapono) (a scorer who is a shooter=Ray Ray)

I see the numbers and all, but my thing is, its no secret, or surprise the most people see and believe that Ray Allen has been the most consistent of the Big 3, over the past 3 years, till now.

So I'm almost wondering, if Ray's "streaky shooting" being a topic of concern,  is more of a result of Paul and KG's decline,Thus Ray Allens game is now sticking out, more than ever before  and less of Ray all of a sudden being very streaky.

To me Ray has been consistent since he's been in Green. and by consistent I mean; he's always gone thru stretches of being streaky and his play has seemed to be at a similar level each year...

Ex.
Ray making the All-Star team for the last 3 years wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Paul Pierce making the All-Star team the last 3 years wouldn't raise any eyebrows, but questions might arise about this years trip to dallas.

KG making the All-star team the last 3 years, the last 2 years would defintely raise a few eyebrows. (of course one was due to injury)

So I think Ray Allens isn't necessarily dropping off on a steep decline, but I think he is more noticeable now, because those around him (pp-kg) are declining at a faster rate than Ray.

Bit confused

Ray didn't go to 3 All-Star games as a Celtic just two and really probably only deserved 1 so him going last year did raise some eyebrows and if he went this year there probably would have been a media storm questioning it

Ray has been consistent, the most consistent of the three but overall his performance was also probably the least spectacular when all three were playing well

Ray has been consistent this year but part of that is he has been consistently mediocre or worse from long range

Ray actually was THE Celtic that deserved to go last year. The first year, I would've say it would have been a bit iffy, but last year Ray was the epitome of efficiency. He was playing really good basketball.

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
2560 - 2406 = 154

Keep Shooting Ray !!!

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 12:15:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Is it now safe to say that Ray Allen's three point shot problems are no longer just a slump?

Is it now safe to start questioning that Ray's three point shot might be showing signs of age?

Is it now safe to start thinking that Ray Allen's days of close to or over 40% shooting from three point range could be over?

I have brought this up before about the rapid decline of shooting guards as they age and two things are ALWAYS the first to go, defense and long distance shooting

Well Ray has never been a great defender and there have been flashes of really good defense from Ray but overall his defense is about what it has been or maybe slightly worse

But it's time to face facts here, Ray Allen's three point shot is seriously struggling this year

Let's take a look at the numbers:

October:        8-17   .471
November: 14-56   .250
December: 30-76   .395
January:      22-69   .319
February:    23-65   .354
March:           8-24   .333

Total:      105-307   .342

This year's numbers are the worst he has ever shot from three point range and they come at a time when he is completely healthy and playing with more weapons than he has ever played with in his entire career making defenses keying only on stopping him difficult to do

Ray's playing with more weapons than he has ever played with this year? Seriously?

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I find this very informative. Here are Ray's 3 point shooting percentages based on rest:
0 days  27.5%
1 day   35.7%
2 days  34.3%
3+ days 38.7%

FG%    FT%    SPG   BPG 

Despite this, he still averages 36 minutes on back-to-backs (and all other games). I'd like to see his numbers by quarter in the back to backs - if they are lower at the end of games, the solution seems simple: play him less, especially in back to backs!

Just goes to show that it takes longer him to recover and it effects his performance

But where it is most effecting his performance is in distance shooting and that is definitely caused by age

But we shouldn't have back to backs in the playoffs.

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
0 days  27.5%
1 day   35.7%
2 days  34.3%
3+ days 38.7%

FG%    FT%    SPG   BPG 

But we shouldn't have back to backs in the playoffs.
Yeah, he'll have one or maybe two days rest

Still not shooting at a blistering pace there from three with percentages of 35.7 and 34.3

So what's your point?
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Is it now safe to say that Ray Allen's three point shot problems are no longer just a slump?

Is it now safe to start questioning that Ray's three point shot might be showing signs of age?

Is it now safe to start thinking that Ray Allen's days of close to or over 40% shooting from three point range could be over?

I have brought this up before about the rapid decline of shooting guards as they age and two things are ALWAYS the first to go, defense and long distance shooting

Well Ray has never been a great defender and there have been flashes of really good defense from Ray but overall his defense is about what it has been or maybe slightly worse

But it's time to face facts here, Ray Allen's three point shot is seriously struggling this year

This year's numbers are the worst he has ever shot from three point range and they come at a time when he is completely healthy and playing with more weapons than he has ever played with in his entire career making defenses keying only on stopping him difficult to do

Ray's playing with more weapons than he has ever played with this year? Seriously?
You point out the year in which he has played with better talent than 5 former All-Stars all on the same team with him

Show me the year he was on a team that had 6 former All-Stars(not including Ray) and I will re-track my statement
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You point out the year in which he has played with better talent than 5 former All-Stars all on the same team with him

Show me the year he was on a team that had 6 former All-Stars(not including Ray) and I will re-track my statement

Former being the key word. Let's face it. Rondo's the only teammate he's had that's been playing like an all-star since Xmas. Calling Sheed a former all-star doesn't make him a better player, just like calling Ray a future HOFer doesn't make him a top 3 sg.

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney

Former being the key word. Let's face it. Rondo's the only teammate he's had that's been playing like an all-star since Xmas. Calling Sheed a former all-star doesn't make him a better player, just like calling Ray a future HOFer doesn't make him a top 3 sg.
You still haven't pointed out the team he played on that had overall better talent
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You still haven't pointed out the team he played on that had overall better talent

Isn't it obvious? How about the title team? KG two years ago was significantly more talented than anyone on this team. Pierce 2 years ago was better than anyone on this team. Eddie House 2 years ago was much better than he was this year. Posey was a better outside threat than Sheed. Have you honestly been watching this year and saying "this team is clearly more talented than the '08 team, especially sice we added the *former all-star* Rasheed"? I can't believe that you're calling this team, considering the injuries to Paul and KG, the most talented group Ray's played with.