Author Topic: How to Breed a Dog  (Read 14773 times)

How to Breed a Dog
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Sorry guys, but I don't know where to start my research here.  I figure somebody in the celticsblog world might be able to help me out here, or point me to a site that could help me.

I brought my dog to mate with a female dog in heat.  According to her owner, her dog has been in heat for a some days (no more than a week) and both dogs are inexperienced (virgins).  I took them there and they just stood around, occasionally sniffing each other around, but not knowing what to do.  Especially my dog, he had this puzzled look on his (it was really hilarious).

I am planning on going back there again in a few days and try again.  Any advice on this matter?  Are they more comfortable in a specific environment?  Is it a good or bad sign if they pee around the same area?  Is there to teach theme what to do?  Thanks for the help.  Snoopy will be much obliged.

PS. Both dogs are Shi Tzus (2 and 5 years old)
Baby Jesus!

Re: How to Breed a Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:02:29 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07:03 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
I actually thought about that, haha!  I just came from Guatemala and there the dogs are going nuts.  I have never seen so many pregnant dogs in my life.  I guess that's why female dogs are a lot cheaper than male dogs.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
Sorry to go Bob Barker on everyone, but the pet population is way too overpopulated. Each year, 3-4 million dogs are euthanized in shelters each year. Think about that. 3 to 4 million dogs that would love to find a home are killed each year. The last thing we need is more puppies. We need to stop breeding dogs, have all pets spayed or neutered, and start adopting dogs from shelters (such as the SPCA).

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:18 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
buy 'em a room and get them drunk...let nature then take it's course... ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Take your dog to Denver when the Lakers come through town and sneak her into Kobe's room after lights out.  :P

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Sorry guys, but I don't know where to start my research here.  I figure somebody in the celticsblog world might be able to help me out here, or point me to a site that could help me.

I brought my dog to mate with a female dog in heat.  According to her owner, her dog has been in heat for a some days (no more than a week) and both dogs are inexperienced (virgins).  I took them there and they just stood around, occasionally sniffing each other around, but not knowing what to do.  Especially my dog, he had this puzzled look on his (it was really hilarious).

I am planning on going back there again in a few days and try again.  Any advice on this matter?  Are they more comfortable in a specific environment?  Is it a good or bad sign if they pee around the same area?  Is there to teach theme what to do?  Thanks for the help.  Snoopy will be much obliged.

Do a demo with the other dog so he can see how it is done.

I can't fault people for not wanting rescue dogs. I know people who regretted getting rescue dogs and finding out they have temperament issues. You don't want a doc who is going to bite kids.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 07:07:25 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Take your dog to Denver when the Lakers come through town and sneak her into Kobe's room after lights out.  :P

;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4

Do a demo with the other dog so he can see how it is done.

I can't fault people for not wanting rescue dogs. I know people who regretted getting rescue dogs and finding out they have temperament issues. You don't want a doc who is going to bite kids.

There are other ways of getting rescue dogs other than going to the shelter.  There are a lot of Rescue organizations out there (many are even breed specific if you like), and they actually rescue the dog from the shelter and have volunteers that let the dog live with them.  They will be able to tell you the dogs personality and whether or not they have any aggression issues. 

As for the OP, another thing to consider is how serious are you about following through with the puppies?  It's easy to say you are going to have them, but if one of the pups has something wrong with it there are vet bills and who knows what else that you might have to deal with.  Having puppies isn't always a fool-proof way of making some extra cash, it can cost you.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 08:07:21 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Sorry to go Bob Barker on everyone, but the pet population is way too overpopulated. Each year, 3-4 million dogs are euthanized in shelters each year. Think about that. 3 to 4 million dogs that would love to find a home are killed each year. The last thing we need is more puppies. We need to stop breeding dogs, have all pets spayed or neutered, and start adopting dogs from shelters (such as the SPCA).

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
I understand the whole ordeal and that is a noble thing to do, one thing that I understand but I don't like about America is that they put dogs to sleep if they're not adopted.  In most other countries they have street dogs just laying around, which leaves a bad image on the cities and the dogs have a hard life, but at least they live.

But the bottom line though is this, my dog needs to get laid!!! I mean, he's 5 years old and the most action he's got is from a pillow.  So any advices for the actual "love making" part of mating?
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd try googling.  I put in "dog won't mate" and got a bunch of results, although mostly it was people saying that sometimes the male dog can be picky about the female, or may feel intimidated by a female dog's "social status" within a pack -- i.e., won't go near more aggressive females.

(As an aside, I see absolutely nothing wrong with pure-bred dogs.  I'm curious to know what percentage of the people chastising the practice got their pets from a pound, or how much money they give to no-kill shelters.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'd try googling.  I put in "dog won't mate" and got a bunch of results, although mostly it was people saying that sometimes the male dog can be picky about the female, or may feel intimidated by a female dog's "social status" within a pack -- i.e., won't go near more aggressive females.

(As an aside, I see absolutely nothing wrong with pure-bred dogs.  I'm curious to know what percentage of the people chastising the practice got their pets from a pound, or how much money they give to no-kill shelters.)

It's not necessarily a problem with pure-bred dogs.  It's a simple matter of numbers.  It doesn't matter if a dog is pure-bred or not, if a dog goes to the shelter its chances of finding a home are very slim.  Especially in todays economy, more and more people are having to make tough decisions and dogs usually get the short end of the stick (no pun intended).  If a family is coming into hard financial times, it's often easier to just send the dog to the pound in order to save some money.  Don't get me wrong, if it comes down to the family or the dog, the family has to win every time.  But that doesn't change the fact that there are already too many dogs without homes before you even take into consideration the number of people that are actually having to make these tough decisions.

I personally am part of a Boxer rescue and have had over 50 foster dogs the last 3 years.  I can't even begin to tell you how bad of shape some of these dogs are in when they get dropped off in a pound.  We have been dealing with a dog for 10 months now that was dropped on the side of the road as a puppy because she has a spinal disorder and can't take care of herself.  There have been other dogs that have come into the group, that were found stuck in a small pen full of their own feces and completely malnourished.  I personally had a female that was dropped off at the pound 3 weeks from giving birth to 9 puppies, because the family couldn't support the dogs anymore (the male was immediately put down at the shelter because it was aggressive). 

My point of view on this isn't shaped because I just don't think it's right to add to a already out of control issue, it's shaped because I deal with it every day. 

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking anyone on here, but it is a very emotional subject for me.  I just hope that people fully understand what they are getting into before they breed their pet, and fully understand that all of the puppies might not make it or might not find a home that is as good as the one you are probably assuming they will find (there are a lot of people with pets that actually could care less about them). 

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110

Simply put, there is little reason to keep breeding dogs (pure or mixed bred) given the outrageous surplus of dogs in shelters and those killed before they even make it to the shelter (most common practice - the dogs aren't even given an opportunity to find a home; they are brought in and euthanized immediately)

I got my current dog from the SCPA. And I gave $20 this year (I'm a poor student) to a no-kill cat shelter. I've volunteered my time since 1997 to both no-kill dog and cat adoption centers. So don't accuse me of being a hypocrite.

In fact, most people are hypocrites for being outraged over animal abuse (remember the threads here about Michael Vick) and yet indifferent towards the abuses that go on in pet breeding. As I said before, 3-4 million dogs are killed each year in the US due to overpopulation - and that doesn't even account for the physical abuse and deaths of dogs in puppy mills.

It is so easy to bring that number down considering the millions of homes each year that bring in a pet. Instead of going to a breeder or pet store, visit the county SPCA or a similar shelter. These dogs are very sweet. Some of them don't even have any problems. Sure, some of them are a little difficult at times, but they are sure easier than your typical teenager. It is also rewarding to save a dog from death.

But the bottom line though is this, my dog needs to get laid!!! I mean, he's 5 years old and the most action he's got is from a pillow.  So any advices for the actual "love making" part of mating?

Yeah, get your dog neutered. It costs $50. And you kill two birds (the overpopulation and the horniness) with one stone.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:22:34 PM by EarthBall »

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
our family did our part...we just bought our first home (lifelong renters) and our kids wanted a pet.  so we went to the humane society and bought them a cat.  she's a good cat with an affectionate personality and we can't imagine life without her.

everyone should visit a shelter...it does tug on your heart a little...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."