Author Topic: One World, One Dream  (Read 1374 times)

One World, One Dream
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Unfortunately I missed the beginning of the ceremony, but I did get the ending and I gotta say, that was an absolutely awesome presentation.  The lighting, the little kids singing, the little earthquake survivor walking with Yao Ming.  Most of all, I liked the theme.  One World, One Dream.  They lived up to it with all the things representing the world, such as Prime Minister officially beginning, the music, the clothes representing each country.  You can see that this is something that the Chinese truly care about.  It was awesome seeing all these different countries walking, from the smallest countries.  I thought it was beautiful seeing a small african country like Lesotho walking proud and tall being cheered by Chinese and amongst those Norway and Netherlands.  The whole thing was just really great!  It makes me happy to have this moment (even if it's only for 4 hours) of great and secluded global harmony.

Other notes:
--I thought it was really cool to have the Sudanese and now American athlete holding the flag.  To have guys like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, and Michael Phelps and have this guy holding the flag really shows the American values (even if it's for political reason they do that, it's still worth it).
--I thought it was interesting to see Palastine in there.  That was pretty cool in my opinion.  Also, seeing some countries in there that has a smaller population than UMass is pretty sick.  It's crazy that Pakistan, a country of 270 million people only had something like 20 or 30 athletes.
--Lastly, I was working during the beginning of the ceremony, but the one time I went to the bar to see how it was going, it was literally the exact moment when Brazil came out.  Seriously, with all the countries that were there, I had a chance to walk right in with the country I really wanted to see (Brazil and US, which I caught when I got home- I missed Iraq though).

Now I am really pumped about the Olympics.  Remember everyone,

One World, One Dream
Baby Jesus!