0 (0%)
Kings
1 (2.6%)
Spurs
1 (2.6%)
Suns
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: If not the Celtics, who would you be "OK with" winning the title  (Read 3896 times)

Re: If not the Celtics, who would you be "OK with" winning the title
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anyone but the Lakers or 76ers.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 03:19:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
None of the Above.

But since that wasn't offered, I clicked on the Clippers.   'Would get Doc another ring and would probably p--- the Lakers off almost as much as BOS winning it.
^^^this. The Clippers also have been one of the most inept franchises prior to the last decade - their fans deserve something to cheer about after decades of malaise.

I have the opposite reaction -- I want them to suffer some more.

Too quick a turnaround for me after all that mismanagement.

And getting Kawhi in free agency despite all that mismanagement ... and then PG13 forcing his way off a 50win team that was only a few small steps (restructuring their supporting cast) away from contending for a title. So much good fortune for a team that was mis-run so badly for so long. I struggle with that. 

I want to see the Clippers suck some more. More misery please.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I was looking for the option of  "Covid shutting down the league" if the C's don't win it.

Could live with anyone but Lakers and Sixers but chose Bucks
- Lakers - no way I want to listen to Laker fans, Lebron, Lebron's fanboys in the media hyping how the Lakers have caught the C's in the number of titles
- Sixers - no way I want to listen to Philly fanboys now getting rewarded by that shameful 'process' Hinkie put in place to tank for so many years to get high picks.  still nauseates me
- Bucks - Giannis worked hard to carry his team to the best record this season and has stated he wants to be the one to lead his team to a title without the recent garbage of top players banding together to form superteams to 'guarantee' themselves a title.  I respect that a lot about him.  that, and he wants to stay in Milwaukee to support the franchise and fanbase.  I respect that a lot too.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Who in the world selected The Lakers?

"IF" they won it this year, I can hear the Laker fan-wagoners now:

"Our 17 championships are more RECENT - therefore OUR team is better than yours."

"Our players are better looking - therefore OUR team is better than yours."

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Indifferent to every team unless they play the Lakers.  If not the C’s, I couldn’t care less who wins as long as it isn’t LAL. 

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 03:36:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Probably the Lakers. Do not like the Clippers (it is the Clippers + how they came together this summer) or the Bucks (boring team). Lakers are the only non-Celtics legit title threat left so them.

I have always loved AD and I have been enjoying LeBron out-smarting / out-maneouvering people this season as his athleticism has dropped off. Pity Rondo got hurt. I always cheer for him.

Yuck.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 03:47:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
None of the Above.

But since that wasn't offered, I clicked on the Clippers.   'Would get Doc another ring and would probably p--- the Lakers off almost as much as BOS winning it.
^^^this. The Clippers also have been one of the most inept franchises prior to the last decade - their fans deserve something to cheer about after decades of malaise.

And getting Kawhi in free agency despite all that mismanagement ... and then PG13 forcing his way off a 50win team that was only a few small steps (restructuring their supporting cast) away from contending for a title. So much good fortune for a team that was mis-run so badly for so long. I struggle with that. 

You are aware, that their current ownership is completely different than the one that was responsible for decades of 'all that mismanagement', right?  Steve Ballmer purchased the team in 2014.   They have posted winning records in every season since then and reached the playoffs in all but one.    In fact since Doc arrived in 2011, they have only missed the playoffs that once.  Not really the same organization as it was for decades before that.

Eight seasons of .500+ hardly seems like 'too quick a turnaround'.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
None of the Above.

You are aware, that their current ownership is completely different than the one that was responsible for decades of 'all that mismanagement', right?  Steve Ballmer purchased the team in 2014.   They have posted winning records in every season since then and reached the playoffs in all but one.    In fact since Doc arrived in 2011, they have only missed the playoffs that once.  Not really the same organization as it was for decades before that.

Eight seasons of .500+ hardly seems like 'too quick a turnaround'.

Gimme another 15-20 years and I'll get over it  ;)

I prefer the European league systems with relegation's to how quickly one team's fortunes can change in the NBA. For how bad the Clippers were + for how long they were bad -- it is too quick for me to accept / welcome them as one of the best run & elite teams in the business.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd be okay with the Bucks. I personally rather like Giannis and I think a small market team winning is good for the league in general.

But also if the Bucks win it I think Giannis is more likely to sign there long term, I dont want to see him become a free agent and go to GS, MIA, TOR or DAL or destination x to form a superteam.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »

Offline Tomo122

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I understand Doc but why the Bucks?

I thought a WC team and Doncic doing something ridiculous would be crazy for the league!!

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I understand Doc but why the Bucks?

I thought a WC team and Doncic doing something ridiculous would be crazy for the league!!

Doncic leading Dallas to a championship in his second year would be a crazy story. Also it would probably start conversations whether he could become the GOAT.

But this season the Bucks have been amazing. Giannis is a likeable superstar. Budenholzer is a very good coach. The Bucks organization has made solid moves all around. No entitlement. They deserve to win it all.

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
As it's been 50 years, I guess the Bux can get one...that would be all though.

1970/71
Lew Alcindor
Oscar Robertson

They had a 20 game win streak during the season.

Destroyed the Bullets in the finals 4-0

Earl the Pearl Monroe (HOF)
Wes Unseld (HOF)

Bux just ran them Bullets right outta the gym.

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 11:56:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As it's been 50 years, I guess the Bux can get one...that would be all though.

1970/71
Lew Alcindor
Oscar Robertson

They had a 20 game win streak during the season.

Destroyed the Bullets in the finals 4-0

Earl the Pearl Monroe (HOF)
Wes Unseld (HOF)

Bux just ran them Bullets right outta the gym.

Wow, when you said it was 50 years, I thought that was a typo.  I remember that championship like it was yesterday.  Dang. 

Big O wasn't nearly as good as he had been for the Cincinnati Royals, but Kareem was awesome.  (He changed his name from Lew Alcindor the day after they won the championship).

That was a really good team. 

Which made our defeat of them in '74 in 7 games all the sweeter! (Kareem demanded trade to Lakers the following year and got his wish.)

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 01:15:52 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If you're a Celtics fan, you will NEVER root for the Lakers to win a championship, ESPECIALLY if they are 1 banner behind us.

The Celtics need to build some cushion room on the banner counts. As long as they have LeBron and Davis, they're still a big threat.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Voted for Raptors because of the connection to my fellow Africans Serge Ibaka and Masai Ujiri (50% Kenyan too). Though the Bucks getting it wouldn't be awful.
Banner 18 please 😍