Author Topic: Brogdon + Golden State's 2024 Pick OR Jrue Holiday?  (Read 8897 times)

Re: Brogdon + Golden State's 2024 Pick OR Jrue Holiday?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 07:23:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Timelord's season ending injury made this trade a home run.

When it was Timelord & Brogdon, there was at least a conversation to be had. Better high quality depth vs better high end talent. No Timelord. A Brogdon vs Jrue. Even with that late lott GSW pick, that is Jrue.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 07:37:35 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 487
I think it could turn into a discussion if Holiday turns into a pumpkin and the Cs don't win the title.

From all accounts, this is the draft you want to trade out of. I know people always counter with the "some all stars are hidden gems." Of course. But apparently this draft is ROUGH at the top. Especially viewed through the lens of the drafts before and after it. There still isn't a consensus top pick. It will be a strange year.
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 11:52:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it could turn into a discussion if Holiday turns into a pumpkin and the Cs don't win the title.

From all accounts, this is the draft you want to trade out of. I know people always counter with the "some all stars are hidden gems." Of course. But apparently this draft is ROUGH at the top. Especially viewed through the lens of the drafts before and after it. There still isn't a consensus top pick. It will be a strange year.

It really does come down to whether they win a Title or not. If so, great trade, fantastic, we’re awesome. If not, giving up two valuable players, a pick in 2029, and a top 10 pick this year might look pretty bad. That doesn’t even take into account payroll issues.

And, look, nobody is saying that we shouldn’t have traded for Jrue, it’s just that pick is looking like the value of three of our 1sts. It’s a great pick, I just wish we included a different one

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It really does come down to whether they win a Title or not. If so, great trade, fantastic, we’re awesome. If not, giving up two valuable players, a pick in 2029, and a top 10 pick this year might look pretty bad. That doesn’t even take into account payroll issues.

And, look, nobody is saying that we shouldn’t have traded for Jrue, it’s just that pick is looking like the value of three of our 1sts. It’s a great pick, I just wish we included a different one

My guess is that Portland demanded that pick.  Otherwise, we would have traded the less valuable of GSW / BOS #1, for instance.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2024, 12:58:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
That GS pick right now is peak value.  It is possible that it has enough value that it could have been used for a player like Siakam (and keep the 2029 1st).  I don't know if Siakam is better than Holiday, but that is truly where the cost benefit analysis comes in.  The team is much better off with Jrue as opposed to Brogdon and RWill, but may not be better off than what might have been.  Of course nothing could have been as well making the team worse.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 01:16:47 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
That GS pick right now is peak value.  It is possible that it has enough value that it could have been used for a player like Siakam (and keep the 2029 1st).  I don't know if Siakam is better than Holiday, but that is truly where the cost benefit analysis comes in.  The team is much better off with Jrue as opposed to Brogdon and RWill, but may not be better off than what might have been.  Of course nothing could have been as well making the team worse.

While the pick now has peak value, Robert Williams value has cratered. I also imagine that gms have a similar viewpoint of the pick that I do. The warriors have no incentive to tank and are not trading Steph curry. They also were hurt by missing draymond green for a month who just came back. The odds of it being a top ten pick at end of season are quite slim unless you believe the warriors are going to sit on their hands and knees for one of the last years of curry’s prime and teams like Houston and Utah are gonna go all in to try and win a single playoff game (imagine Danny doing that lol).

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 01:26:24 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

NBA teams are pretty bad at drafting when there aren't obvious choices, in general.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2024, 01:46:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

While the pick now has peak value, Robert Williams value has cratered. I also imagine that gms have a similar viewpoint of the pick that I do. The warriors have no incentive to tank and are not trading Steph curry. They also were hurt by missing draymond green for a month who just came back. The odds of it being a top ten pick at end of season are quite slim unless you believe the warriors are going to sit on their hands and knees for one of the last years of curry’s prime and teams like Houston and Utah are gonna go all in to try and win a single playoff game (imagine Danny doing that lol).
no guarantee Rob a tually gets hurt. Maybe he is playing awesome.  As for the pick, I think most people over the summer were probably projecting a pick in the mid to late 20's with basically no shot at the lottery.  I mean the Warriors added Paul for Poole, had Wiggins back on the team, and Klay was more removed from the injuries on a team that finished 6th in the West and made the 2nd round.  At this point, it would be pretty surprising if the Warriors weren't in the play in, which puts the pick in the late teens with a much better shot of being a lottery pick.  Sure ending in the top ten is unlikely, but it is far more likely now than over the summer, making it a much better pick with a lot more value.  And the pick is top 4 protected, so the Warriors could actually end up keeping it.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2024, 02:08:34 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

no guarantee Rob a tually gets hurt. Maybe he is playing awesome.  As for the pick, I think most people over the summer were probably projecting a pick in the mid to late 20's with basically no shot at the lottery.  I mean the Warriors added Paul for Poole, had Wiggins back on the team, and Klay was more removed from the injuries on a team that finished 6th in the West and made the 2nd round.  At this point, it would be pretty surprising if the Warriors weren't in the play in, which puts the pick in the late teens with a much better shot of being a lottery pick.  Sure ending in the top ten is unlikely, but it is far more likely now than over the summer, making it a much better pick with a lot more value.  And the pick is top 4 protected, so the Warriors could actually end up keeping it.

Rob got hurt three practices into his Blazer’s career, missed the entire preseason, and then lasted 6 games.  If he had no real injury history, you could say he might not have gotten hurt.  But it was a matter of when, not if, unfortunately.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
Golden State's pick projected to go to Portland after the Holiday trade is currently at #10

That kind of makes me change my tune a little on the Holiday trade, even though I think Holiday is underratedly great, have always loved him + think he'll make a difference in the playoffs.

But still, makes you wonder... if we knew the GSW pick was likely a Top-10 pick would we have traded it + Brogdon + Timelord? That suddenly looks like an even better return for Portland, granted their return looked great from the beginning.

If Jrue helps get us a chip, you don't worry about that #10 unless it turns into the next MJ.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 04:57:43 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Well I think it pretty illogical to say we keep the outcome that is bad for one of the things we gave out (the warriors pick becoming more valuable) but say we awill not live in reality on the other part of the deal where Robert is out for the year. How does that make any sense? With respect to the pick I generally agree with your assessment I was more responding to people that keep saying top ten pick while ignoring the warriors have every incentive improve and no incentive to tank (while a lot of other teams will have incentive to tank in the second half of the season). Either way I am really happy with both deals and think we are in a great position to win a championship this year because of them. Would sting a little if curry ended up getting hurt and the pick turns out to be like 6. As others have noted though this is supposed to be a pretty lousy draft so I am not super worried about it.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 05:06:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Rob got hurt three practices into his Blazer’s career, missed the entire preseason, and then lasted 6 games.  If he had no real injury history, you could say he might not have gotten hurt.  But it was a matter of when, not if, unfortunately.
If Rob was destined to be hurt, then he had basically no value in the trade other than the dollars to make it work. 

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 11:33:26 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Golden State is now 18-22 and 2 games back of a play-in spot. I know they have Curry and could still go on a run but idk... feels like the time is slipping for them to figure it out.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 11:43:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Golden State is now 18-22 and 2 games back of a play-in spot. I know they have Curry and could still go on a run but idk... feels like the time is slipping for them to figure it out.

I don't think that team has any chance as currently constructed. Too small. No high end talent other than Steph.

They need to make a move. A big move. Push all their chips into the middle of the table and go for it. They are wasting the end of Steph's prime.

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 11:47:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Golden State could easily pull things together and become a respectable playoff team.  The year they beat us, they had a stretch where they went 7-16.  Then they won five games in a row, entered the playoffs and won the whole thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes