Author Topic: Calling Out Season Ticket Holders: Selling Tickets  (Read 13792 times)

Calling Out Season Ticket Holders: Selling Tickets
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
Last night I sat in my seat at the Garden more than excited to watch the Celtics take on the Lakers and Ray Allen break the all time 3 point record. Since I’m a season ticket holder, I said hello to some familiar faces in my section and sat down with a sense of comfort that I’ve come to expect attending Celtics home games.

As the first quarter started, the purple and yellow jersey started to roll in…two Kobe jerseys to my left. One Kobe t shirt in front of me…

Then I looked behind me to see the two rows behind me FULL of Laker fans.

As the fourth quarter progressed and the game started to slip away…I found myself melting in my chair as the annoying “Let’s go Lakers” chants started. I still don’t understand how people can root for Kobe without at least a little guilt due to his past actions and his disgusting arrogance. But, it was clear they all worshiped him. 

I’ve never felt this way during a Celtics home game, but after awhile I wanted to get the hell out of the Garden. It was unbearable. While I’m sure plenty of Laker fans are astute fans of the game, the basketball IQ of mostly all of them was shallow and superficial. They didn’t understand the game, they just liked rooting for a winner and hopefully seeing a dunk.
On several occasions, I’ve sat next to fans from other teams (Knicks specifically) who had a respectable knowledge of their team and the league as a whole. I actually appreciated the opportunity to sit next to them because it provided a completely new fan perspective and I left the game learning a thing or two…
(I know this last point makes my post fairly contradictory, but I feel obligated to present both sides of my experiences)

The point of this tangent is not to simply vent about having to be surrounded by annoying Lakers fans. My problem is with the people who sold them the tickets.

The season ticket rate in the first 10 rows of any section is at least 70% (in my estimation.) To be surrounded by 12-15 Laker fans within four rows, means several Season Ticket Holders sold their tickets to them. While I’ve been in more than a few situations where I’ve had to give my tickets to someone else, I’ve always been mindful of who exactly was going to sit in my seats. This is a courtesy that any season ticket holder should, in my strong opinion, extend to their fellow HOME fans.

The Celtics fans recently have travelled better than almost every other team in the NBA, so it would be hypocritical and stupid for me to say fans from other teams shouldn’t go to road games. But, if you are a season ticket holder and you need/want to sell your seats, please consider the person that will have to sit next to your recipient.

The fact that I listed to Laker chants and oohs and aahhhs directed toward Kobe’s pushoff (should be an offensive foul) turnaround jumper made last night game a crappy time. Frankly, that shouldn’t happen at the Garden. People in this city care too much to be so careless in selling their seats.

Long story short….don’t sell your tickets to a fan from another team if you have the chance to give it to a Celtics fan. I can really ruin the night for the rest of us.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

Re: Calling Out Season Ticket Holders: Selling Tickets
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I appreciate the rant, but upper balcony corner seats to the Lakers game sold for like $250 each.  When a hefty profit is involved, I don't think most folks have scruples about where the money is coming from (especially when it's the blood-sucking ticket agencies that are buying and selling a lot of the tickets.) 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:16:42 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Also, if I'm not mistaken most season ticket olders sell their tickets on Celtic.com ticket exchange. I'm pretty sure they have no idea who they are selling them to, or whom that peoson might be rooting for.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I was at the game and was pretty shocked at how many Laker fans there were. It was my first regular season Lakers games but duringthe playoffs I have been to a bunch of Celtics Lakers fans and they really were few and far between.

My rational was that most of the Lakers fans that I saw were definitely younger college aged people. During the year they can attend that game but once it hits June they are back home. Several Laker fans that I took the train home with were getting off at BU stops and were talking about LA and California.

In any case it was really, really annoying to see those Laker fans there. I feel like there are usually a ton of Boston fans at the LA games too though as you can usually here cheers for the Celts in the LA stands, so whatever

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Also, if I'm not mistaken most season ticket olders sell their tickets on Celtic.com ticket exchange. I'm pretty sure they have no idea who they are selling them to, or whom that peoson might be rooting for.

Isn't ticket exchange just getting face value back?I'd be surprised if that many season ticket holders were passing up a Lakers game just to get face value back

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I appreciate the rant, but upper balcony corner seats to the Lakers game sold for like $250 each.  When a hefty profit is involved, I don't think most folks have scruples about where the money is coming from (especially when it's the blood-sucking ticket agencies that are buying and selling a lot of the tickets.) 

Yeah, if someone wants to pay that kind of money, I don't really care what team they are rooting for.  

And honestly, I have no problem when there are fans from other teams around me, as long as they are respectful (which all of the Lakers fans around me last night were).  I certainly don't blame them for ruining my night, I blame the C's for losing the game.  Plus, it is even more fun to rub it in their face when the C's win.  

Now, if the Garden were to ever turn into a place where the opposing fans were enough to actually be heard over the C's fans, then perhaps there would be an issue, but I have no problem with some fans here and there (which is what it was last night).  

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
We're not exactly talking chump change here.  If someone is able to sell a game and pick up 15-20% of their yearly season ticket bill or needs quick cash in a bind, its awfully tough to pass up.  Especially from a regular season game.  That's certainly not commonplace. 

Also, if you're throwing your tickets on an exchange like StubHub or something, there's no way to know what type of fan is buying your tickets. Its out of your control. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff

Isn't ticket exchange just getting face value back?I'd be surprised if that many season ticket holders were passing up a Lakers game just to get face value back

Good point. Now that I think about it, it probably was people selling for as much a possible. Well to be honest, I'd sell my tickets to a Laker fan if the money was right.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Yeah, if someone wants to pay that kind of money, I don't really care what team they are rooting for.  

And honestly, I have no problem when there are fans from other teams around me, as long as they are respectful (which all of the Lakers fans around me last night were).  I certainly don't blame them for ruining my night, I blame the C's for losing the game.  Plus, it is even more fun to rub it in their face when the C's win.  

Now, if the Garden were to ever turn into a place where the opposing fans were enough to actually be heard over the C's fans, then perhaps there would be an issue, but I have no problem with some fans here and there (which is what it was last night).  

I have never really hated Laker fans. I always kind of thought they werent real bball fans but not as annoying and in your face as fans of some other teams.

Last night changed my opinion of Lakers fans for life. I was in section 7 and there was a good 7-10 Lakers fans within earshot. They were absolutely intolerable. Every made shot by the Laker they would stand and scream, while taunting with words and hand gestures to Celtics fans surrounding them. They were openly and clearly egging on everyone around them. It was shameful and worse, they knew nothing about basketball. It is one thing to go to the garden decked out in Purple and Gold, shave LA into the back of your head (one kid did this), but it is another to bring attention to yourself by taunting everyone within earshot. The thing about this is...it was all without instigation from Celtics fans.

They went to the game just to rile people up and after that loss, I would not be surprised if they ended up getting pounded by some drunk angry fans. I never condone violence, but honestly, they deserved it. They were ruining my night when the Celts were up by 15 and when we were losing, it was unbearable. They were relentless and could not be ignored. I was able to sit 7 rows from the court and witness Ray Allen break a record last night but what I will remember most is those insufferable idiots that just would not shut up.

I have alot of self control. I dont let many things bother me, but I am a pretty passionate fan. I feel like these guys were stepping on my ability to be a fan last night. They prevented me from having a good time and I challenge anyone to step in my shoes last night if they think they could ignore these people. Heck I guess they did their job.

I agree with the OP. Keep these people out of our Garden.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Also, there were a lot of Lakers fans in my section who were at the game with Celtics fans.  Not sure how you are supposed to screen that.  

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also, there were a lot of Lakers fans in my section who were at the game with Celtics fans.  Not sure how you are supposed to screen that.  

Find new friends.  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff

I have never really hated Laker fans. I always kind of thought they werent real bball fans but not as annoying and in your face as fans of some other teams.

Last night changed my opinion of Lakers fans for life. I was in section 7 and there was a good 7-10 Lakers fans within earshot. They were absolutely intolerable. Every made shot by the Laker they would stand and scream, while taunting with words and hand gestures to Celtics fans surrounding them. They were openly and clearly egging on everyone around them. It was shameful and worse, they knew nothing about basketball. It is one thing to go to the garden decked out in Purple and Gold, shave LA into the back of your head (one kid did this), but it is another to bring attention to yourself by taunting everyone within earshot. The thing about this is...it was all without instigation from Celtics fans.

They went to the game just to rile people up and after that loss, I would not be surprised if they ended up getting pounded by some drunk angry fans. I never condone violence, but honestly, they deserved it. They were ruining my night when the Celts were up by 15 and when we were losing, it was unbearable. They were relentless and could not be ignored. I was able to sit 7 rows from the court and witness Ray Allen break a record last night but what I will remember most is those insufferable idiots that just would not shut up.

I have alot of self control. I dont let many things bother me, but I am a pretty passionate fan. I feel like these guys were stepping on my ability to be a fan last night. They prevented me from having a good time and I challenge anyone to step in my shoes last night if they think they could ignore these people. Heck I guess they did their job.

I agree with the OP. Keep these people out of our Garden.

I wouldn't let these 7-10 knuckelheads ruin your view on all Lakers fans. To be honest, I don't get to go to many Celtic games, but I do have Patriot season tickets. Some of the most fun I've had there was good natured banter with fans of visiting teams. Especially Jets and Miami fans. We talk trash and joke around because I understand they are just there rooting for their team, same as me.
Unfortunatly you sometimes get the obnoxious ones you are there just to start problems, but you also have the some jerk Pats fans who start problems with the okay ones too.
I guess my point is, some people are just jerks and it doesn't matter what team they are on. As a matter of fact, I would bet most of them are just jerks in general. It's just a game. People should go, root for their team, and have fun.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »

Offline tfwhiteiii

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Let me say one thing - I was at Celtics @ Lakers two weeks ago, and I was at the game last night.

There were far, and I mean FAR more Celtics fans in Los Angeles that day than there were Lakers fans that night.  Granted, it's a bigger arena, but the section I was in had more Celtics fans in it than Lakers fans at Staples.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
And in other news - Stub Hub reported record earnings as fans continued to pay premium prices to go to the plethora of major sporting events from the Colleges to the Super Bowl to the Lakers vs Celtics. I plan on selling my stock in anticipation of a two sport lockout season in 2011-2012  :-[
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
At least they weren't chanting MVP for Kobe
Yup