Author Topic: Advice needed for tickets!  (Read 15886 times)

Re: Advice needed for tickets!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
Can anybody tell me the face values for different sections of the balcony seats? All I know is that there are $40 tickets for the rite-aid family section.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • KG IS THE KING
Anybody got a clue?
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Why not just increase ticket prices to limit the scalpers?  The higher the box office charges, the less incentive the scalper has...and if people balk at the high prices, just lower them the next day - supply and demand meeting equilibrium

the sad thing is stubhub/ebay/scalpers actually get the economics right...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Anybody got a clue?

For your prior lottery question, the lottery just determines who gets to be first in line to buy tickets, you're not assigned to any particular seat you get to choose where you want to sit based on what's available (which won't be much).

Even if you make it through the lottery system and they don't have any $40 seats available I would buy whatever I could even if I couldn't afford it.  You can easily sell the tickets for 3x face value (and that's a low figure if you're not even trying to get top dollar).

Like I said earlier, in 2008 for the Finals I was section 325, row 15, seats 8-9 (which is the very last row of the whole place) and the face value was $125, so if I was guessing I'd say after the $40 seats, that's the next cheapest (but prices have probably gone up since then cuz in 2008 they had $30 seats).

Would love to hear how you make out.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Why not just increase ticket prices to limit the scalpers?  The higher the box office charges, the less incentive the scalper has...and if people balk at the high prices, just lower them the next day - supply and demand meeting equilibrium

Man I'm with you cdif.  I understand where it all comes from as even 10 years ago not everyone was online.  Sure back 100 years ago when they were selling sporting tickets to the masses it would be too complicated for the box office to get the tickets into the hands of the people who wanted them most, but now in 2010 this is simple stuff I would think.  Just set up an ebay like system that lists all the tickets available to the public and people can just bid what they're willing to pay.  Why have the brokers/scalpers pocket all that extra money that could be going to the team?  It just creates extra unnecessary middlemen.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1
Anybody got a clue?

For your prior lottery question, the lottery just determines who gets to be first in line to buy tickets, you're not assigned to any particular seat you get to choose where you want to sit based on what's available (which won't be much).

Even if you make it through the lottery system and they don't have any $40 seats available I would buy whatever I could even if I couldn't afford it.  You can easily sell the tickets for 3x face value (and that's a low figure if you're not even trying to get top dollar).

Like I said earlier, in 2008 for the Finals I was section 325, row 15, seats 8-9 (which is the very last row of the whole place) and the face value was $125, so if I was guessing I'd say after the $40 seats, that's the next cheapest (but prices have probably gone up since then cuz in 2008 they had $30 seats).

Would love to hear how you make out.

Hell I'd say take whatever tickets they offer you, and if you dont want them because they were too expensive, just put them up here at a slight increase (because we are all Celtics brothers).  Hell, increase face by 10%, you'll get some nice change back, and you'll help Celtics nation.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »

Offline gooey2500

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5

What you suggest wouldn't really help. Most ticket brokers are NOT getting their tickets from this public online sale. Brokers have season tickets and get their playoff tickets at a much lower cost then what is charged at the box office (almost 50% less). 

The Celtics have to give the brokers the same price that they give to all other season ticket holders, and I don't think any season ticket holder would agree to pay $150 for the worst balcony seat, after paying over at least 4k to the Celtics for their seats during the season...

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • KG IS THE KING
Breaking News, I just called 866-4CELTIX and the person told me the tickets will be sold on a first come first serve basis  :o But surprisingly he said the starting price is $30, which conflicted with the $40 that they listed in the celticsbeat email.

Now I don't know who to believe anymore...

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

They do raise prices. There is a problem though. Season ticketholders incur risk when they get their season tix in hopes of getting playoff strips. I don't think they should have to pay the same "market price" that is paid for tix when the finals are already set.

Sadly, this means that some season tix holders will scalp their tix through some despicable organization like Stubhub.

What is needed is a way to resell tix through the Celtics that gets market price instead of face value. That would push stubhub out of the market and allow what stubhub would have profited to go to the team instead.

The Celtics could also sell tickets to the general public for much more than what they charge for playoff strips. Again, the reason is you need to provide price guarantees for the season tix holders who incur risk at the beginning of the season. Otherwise, many will cancel their season tix, which would kill the Celtics bottom line since that is guaranteed money.

There is an easy way to get finals tix -- buy season tix for next year. The Celtics have been wisely offering playoff strips for this year as incentive.

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 01:59:16 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
You aren't going to get any $40 tickets. You can definitely close the book on that idea.

If you have any additional questions regarding playoff tickets just ask them on here, I am very familiar with the ticketing process.

My advice is to buy tickets from the secondary markets now, before the Celtics split in LA and everyone is scrambling for a seat.

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
just to clarify -

if they go on sale at 11, i would get there at 1030. no earlier. everyone gets a number, and a RANDOM number is selected as the first person let into the Garden. Therefore, every single spot in line has the same probability of being chosen.

when you get into the box office, you will have the opportunity to purchase any seats that are available, based on availability. i think there is a 4 ticket max, i am not totally sure.

in my experience i feel that the best chance is to wait in the line and once 11am rolls around, start using your cell phone in addition to being in the line. also, try and have someone at home (or work), take a shot at purchasing the tickets. buy as MANY AS YOU CAN, because if you get anything you will be lucky.

hope this helps

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

They do raise prices. There is a problem though. Season ticketholders incur risk when they get their season tix in hopes of getting playoff strips. I don't think they should have to pay the same "market price" that is paid for tix when the finals are already set.

Sadly, this means that some season tix holders will scalp their tix through some despicable organization like Stubhub.

What is needed is a way to resell tix through the Celtics that gets market price instead of face value. That would push stubhub out of the market and allow what stubhub would have profited to go to the team instead.

The Celtics could also sell tickets to the general public for much more than what they charge for playoff strips. Again, the reason is you need to provide price guarantees for the season tix holders who incur risk at the beginning of the season. Otherwise, many will cancel their season tix, which would kill the Celtics bottom line since that is guaranteed money.

There is an easy way to get finals tix -- buy season tix for next year. The Celtics have been wisely offering playoff strips for this year as incentive.

you're right, season ticket holders take risks and get rewarded - I had to buy my playoff tickets up front, and guess what, prices went up every round - that part of the system works

maybe so season ticket holders don't make a killing off reselling they should make it so that any season ticket holders' ticket that shows up on stubhub leads to a  rescinding of their ticket rights - the Patriots do this

I'm saying the box office should start with high prices and go down as game day approaches - simple supply and demand - this would almost eliminate resales
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

you're right, season ticket holders take risks and get rewarded - I had to buy my playoff tickets up front, and guess what, prices went up every round - that part of the system works

maybe so season ticket holders don't make a killing off reselling they should make it so that any season ticket holders' ticket that shows up on stubhub leads to a  rescinding of their ticket rights - the Patriots do this

I'm saying the box office should start with high prices and go down as game day approaches - simple supply and demand - this would almost eliminate resales
To be clear, I am in favor of the price increases for playoff tix for each round. My point is that the current prices for season ticket holders are reasonable, but they shouldn't have to pay stubhub level prices because the market won't bear that. Many would cancel their season tickets if a team when that route, costing the team too much revenue.

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
For what it's worth, I recommend saving the hassle of trying to get face-value tickets and buying tickets on Craigslist, StubHub etc. Obviously, you'll pay more, but the hassle-free nature of the whole process might be worth it. Think of it as a once-in-a-lifetime expenditure - you won't regret it. I flew across the country and paid handsomely to attend Game 2 of the '08 Finals - it was worth every penny. Just talking about it brings a smile to my face. Perhaps my biggest point is if you're waffling (about money or whatever), just bite the bullet and do it - you may never get another chance in your life...

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
$40 tickets?? My last game was game 6 vs the Magic and I scored last row balcony tickets--and they were $100. I can't imagine they'll be a lot of $40 tickets to the Finals against the Lakers. The box office is right in the train station, so there's plenty of room to wait--I'm sure there'll be a ton of people there early. FYI, first balcony tickets start at $275-$299, that's back against the wall behind the basket...