Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics among teams interested in Davis Bertans  (Read 5626 times)

Re: Rumor: Celtics among teams interested in Davis Bertans
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He is probably better than anyone we would draft with the Memphis pick so matching salary and that pick is a good place to start to bring him in and control his long term rights.
He will be an unrestricted FA. We'd have bird rights, but no team control.

Bird or early Bird?

If the latter,  it's even more likely we would lose him, and I can't see giving up anything of real value just for a rental.

We’d have full Bird rights.  He signed his last contract with early Bird, but that means he’d have gone 4 years without changing teams via free agency.

Still, the only way we re-sign him is if there’s a parting of ways with Hayward in the off-season, if the $15 million number mentioned is anything in the ballpark of what he commands.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Poirier + one of Edwards, Williams, Williams, Ojeleye, or Wanamaker gets it done salary-wise.

They probably want draft compensation too. I'd be willing to give a protected first that converts to two seconds for Bertans. He's a good player on a sizable contract that could be retraded at some point down the line.

As another aside, if they traded two-for-one, it would open up a roster spot for Evan Turner, who is a good teammate, veteran presence, and gives us another ball-handler.

As another aside, if Ainge wanted to trade Smart for a big, he could without giving up depth if they signed Evan Turner.

For example:

1. Poirier and Ojeleye (and a protected first) for Bertans

2. Sign Evan Turner

3. Smart and Edwards to the Wolves, Covington and Memphis pick to Pacers, Turner to the Celtics

Celtics Roster
Turner-Theis-Kanter
Tatum-Bertans-Williams-Williams
Brown-Langford-Green
Hayward-Turner
Walker-Wanamaker-Waters

I’m pretty sure that Poirier+Edwards is a couple hundred k short of what’s needed to match for Bertans.  That said, I’d be on board with Poirier-Ojeleye and our pick (top-20 protected) or the Milwaukee pick, or Poirier-Rob Williams, no pick included.

But I’m not trading Smart for Miles Turner, straight up, much less adding our best pick.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I will add this here.

I know people feel strongly about Smart. I like him a lot, but I'm not convinced that he doesn't make just as many losing plays as winning plays. I also think that our defense would not suffer much without him if we replaced him with an upper tier rim protector like Turner.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Poirier + one of Edwards, Williams, Williams, Ojeleye, or Wanamaker gets it done salary-wise.

They probably want draft compensation too. I'd be willing to give a protected first that converts to two seconds for Bertans. He's a good player on a sizable contract that could be retraded at some point down the line.

As another aside, if they traded two-for-one, it would open up a roster spot for Evan Turner, who is a good teammate, veteran presence, and gives us another ball-handler.

As another aside, if Ainge wanted to trade Smart for a big, he could without giving up depth if they signed Evan Turner.

For example:

2. Sign Evan Turner

3. Smart and Edwards to the Wolves, Covington and Memphis pick to Pacers, Turner to the Celtics

Celtics Roster
Turner-Theis-Kanter
Brown-Langford-Green
Hayward-Turner
Walker-Wanamaker-Waters

I’m pretty sure that Poirier+Edwards is a couple hundred k short of what’s needed to match for Bertans.  That said, I’d be on board with Poirier-Ojeleye and our pick (top-20 protected) or the Milwaukee pick, or Poirier-Rob Williams, no pick included.

But I’m not trading Smart for Miles Turner, straight up, much less adding our best pick.

I know people feel strongly about Smart. I like him a lot, but I'm not convinced that he doesn't make just as many losing plays as winning plays. I also think that our defense would not suffer much without him if we replaced him with an upper tier rim protector like Turner.
I don’t think Ainge agrees at all with the emboldened.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 05:40:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

For example:

2. Sign Evan Turner

Celtics Roster
Turner-Theis-Kanter
Brown-Langford-Green
Hayward-Turner
Walker-Wanamaker-Waters

Getting back to Bertans — why are we acquiring him AND Turner in this scenario?  We already have two functional bigs, neither of whom are traded in your proposals.  I don’t see the logic of putting Kanter in a role where he’s racking up DNP-CDs. It feels like a misuse of resources to trade two 1sts to essentially relegate all of Kanter and both Williams’ to the bench.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 05:43:02 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
He seems like an awesome role player in today's league, but I'm not sure he's the best fit on this team.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 06:10:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

For example:

2. Sign Evan Turner

Celtics Roster
Turner-Theis-Kanter
Brown-Langford-Green
Hayward-Turner
Walker-Wanamaker-Waters

Getting back to Bertans — why are we acquiring him AND Turner in this scenario?  We already have two functional bigs, neither of whom are traded in your proposals.  I don’t see the logic of putting Kanter in a role where he’s racking up DNP-CDs. It feels like a misuse of resources to trade two 1sts to essentially relegate all of Kanter and both Williams’ to the bench.

This is a great point and one that I thought of after I looked at the end roster moves. Might be too many.

I think Bertans and Turner are two different players. Either could help us. Both is probably too much without trading away one of Kanter or Williams.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Milwaukee has Korver.

Celts need someone like that and Bertans is that guy.

Kanter and Bertans on the 2nd unit will give the Celts the much needed offense it lacks right now.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 06:15:23 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think the Wiz will be asking for Langford for Bertans.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 06:28:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And the Wiz would be told that is a non-starter. No way Ainge gives up a lottery picked 20 year old kid, who he thinks has 20PPG potential, not even half way through his first season, for a 27 year old rental who brings little other than three point scoring.

I like Bertrans as a bench scorer but probably can't keep him if the $15 million a year numbers being thrown around for his next contract are correct. So you can't give up a prospect like Langford for him. No way.

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 06:46:38 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Milwaukee has Korver.

Celts need someone like that and Bertans is that guy.

Kanter and Bertans on the 2nd unit will give the Celts the much needed offense it lacks right now.
Putting Bertans next to Kanter would do wonders for our spacing, but they would form one of the worst defensive PF-C pairings in the league.

Not sure how this could work. Here's how I see it:

Kanter
- good fit next to G. Williams
- bad fit next to Tatum-Hayward
- bad fit next to Bertans cause they are both below average defenders (at least imo)

Theis
- good fit next to Tatum-Hayward
- bad fit next to G. Williams (not enough offense)

Bertans
- good fit next to Theis
- bad fit next to Kanter (not enough defense)

Is there any way this could work? I mean, who plays next to whom?

edit: Unless we use him at the 3?

SF: Hayward - Bertans
PF: Tatum - G. Williams
C: Theis - Kanter

Don't think the 3 is his ideal position, but I guess it could work. Basically he'd take Semi's minutes.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 06:54:53 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I know most think the Celtics need a center, but in IMO not at the cost of the core 5 players. Unless he's named Townes.

But in reality they need players for the second unit that are not rookies or second year players. You can't go into the playoffs counting in rookies to be mistake free, or not be tired after their first NBA season. A few timely blunders could cost you a game or two. An experienced wing who can score and defend a little is a necessity IMO.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 08:24:25 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

yes

*sippin*

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Poirier plus Timelord plus MWE pick for Bertans ??
This way if things don’t work out in the summer

we clear $8M of Cap space and three roster spots for next season which we may need

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wasn't Bertans on the Celts summer league squad a few seasons ago? and then had that horrific fall while trying to finish at the rim...

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 12:57:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
And the Wiz would be told that is a non-starter. No way Ainge gives up a lottery picked 20 year old kid, who he thinks has 20PPG potential, not even half way through his first season, for a 27 year old rental who brings little other than three point scoring.

I like Bertrans as a bench scorer but probably can't keep him if the $15 million a year numbers being thrown around for his next contract are correct. So you can't give up a prospect like Langford for him. No way.
Is it really that bad though? I think his offence is incredible for teams that already have quality creation and his defence isn't bad to the point where it's a liability. I'd definitely pay 15 million for a human torch in his prime that can make our offence unguardable at times while not being a liability on defence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA