Author Topic: Drummond to ATL?  (Read 13830 times)

Re: Drummond to ATL?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 07:13:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Drummond reminds me a little bit of Dwight Howard. He isn't a talented offensive player, yet he demands the ball in the paint. Don't want us to trade for him. We can't have 5 alphas in the starting lineup. There won't be enough shots for everybody and we'll end up a dysfunctional team, like we were last season. 

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 11:43:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Hayward for Drummond...I'd have to think about it.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 11:46:51 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't get the fascination with Drummond.  He doesn't seem to have a positive impact on winning at all.  Maybe if he tried harder and was focused more often on sticking to the things he's best at, but that is rarely the case.

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I don't get the fascination with Drummond.  He doesn't seem to have a positive impact on winning at all.  Maybe if he tried harder and was focused more often on sticking to the things he's best at, but that is rarely the case.

CBS usually gets the best out of players.  I'm intrigued on what he could do with Drummond.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The real issue is that if you're going to be paid as a star big man, you either need to be an offensive problem (Towns/Davis/Jokic/Embiid/Collins) or a defensive problem (Embiid/Davis/Gobert)

Drummond isn't either of those things, so you're paying a ton of money for rebounding and roll man finisher type stuff? Ehhh, just doesn't help your team win enough, which is why Detroit has floundered so much with him. If he was commanding Kanter money he's be really valuable, but he's going to demand 20+ million this off season?

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Drummond reminds me a little bit of Dwight Howard. He isn't a talented offensive player, yet he demands the ball in the paint. Don't want us to trade for him. We can't have 5 alphas in the starting lineup. There won't be enough shots for everybody and we'll end up a dysfunctional team, like we were last season.
I see your point but the guy has been the cornerstone of the Pistons for years.  I doubt he would be an alpha on a new team, and I bet he would pay a lot more attention to the details that lead to winning on a new team.  Drummond has been stagnant for years, and it's not going to change until he gets a change of scenery.  I'm not saying the Celtics should trade for him, but I think the Pistons should move on from him and I think he'd be a good gamble for somebody.

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

CBS usually gets the best out of players.  I'm intrigued on what he could do with Drummond.
You'd get a slightly different version of Kanter? Look at the comparison of the two players this year: http://bkref.com/tiny/F2Qm6

Drummond is a worse offensive player who provides better defensive rebounding and I think better defensive potential. (though he's not a game changer on that end) Not worth moving a really good player when Kanter is already providing what he is. Not to mention match up wise Drummond gets eaten alive by Embiid far more than Kanter.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I see your point but the guy has been the cornerstone of the Pistons for years.  I doubt he would be an alpha on a new team, and I bet he would pay a lot more attention to the details that lead to winning on a new team.  Drummond has been stagnant for years, and it's not going to change until he gets a change of scenery.  I'm not saying the Celtics should trade for him, but I think the Pistons should move on from him and I think he'd be a good gamble for somebody.
Oh they definitely need to move on from Drummond.

I'm just skeptical that an upcoming FA like Drummond is going to worry about the "little things". I think he's going to be worried about his next deal.

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 12:05:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The real issue is that if you're going to be paid as a star big man, you either need to be an offensive problem (Towns/Davis/Jokic/Embiid/Collins) or a defensive problem (Embiid/Davis/Gobert)

Drummond isn't either of those things, so you're paying a ton of money for rebounding and roll man finisher type stuff? Ehhh, just doesn't help your team win enough, which is why Detroit has floundered so much with him. If he was commanding Kanter money he's be really valuable, but he's going to demand 20+ million this off season?

The sad thing is, Drummond could be a defensive 'problem' if he had better focus and drive.  But he doesn't.  For every great defensive play he makes, he has handfuls of lazy possessions.

Maybe, but what I suspect would happen is Drummond would just continue to be who he is, Stevens would eventually get tired of it, and his playing time would suffer leading to an unhappy player on a big contract.

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

The sad thing is, Drummond could be a defensive 'problem' if he had better focus and drive.  But he doesn't.  For every great defensive play he makes, he has handfuls of lazy possessions.
Maybe, he's also always just been slow to read things. Not natural at seeing where he should be a lot of the time.

I also worry that once he declines athletically that same lack of anticipation could mean he will decline extremely quickly. I would not want to be the team that pays him his next contract.

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

You'd get a slightly different version of Kanter? Look at the comparison of the two players this year: http://bkref.com/tiny/F2Qm6

Drummond is a worse offensive player who provides better defensive rebounding and I think better defensive potential. (though he's not a game changer on that end) Not worth moving a really good player when Kanter is already providing what he is. Not to mention match up wise Drummond gets eaten alive by Embiid far more than Kanter.

We'd probably lead the league in rebounding.

Larry Bird

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Oh they definitely need to move on from Drummond.

I'm just skeptical that an upcoming FA like Drummond is going to worry about the "little things". I think he's going to be worried about his next deal.
You could very well be right, but I'm giving Drummond a little bit of the benefit of the doubt since he has shown himself to be a decent guy throughout his career.  He's generally a healthy player.   He's not a headcase like Whiteside/Cousins.  He may just want to show that he can contribute to winning while of course padding the rebound stats a little bit.  I don't really see him sabotaging a good situation.  But if he's just a little too much of a dinosaur, I understand the risk of having to pay him what he will want.

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I could definitely see Drummond having a Roy Hibbett like cliff in his future, in which case, you don't want to be the team paying the last two years of his next future big contract, that's for sure.

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Andre Drummond betting mother lode. Thanks to @betonline_ag

https://twitter.com/duncansmithnba/status/1214281633211310081?s=21

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2020, 04:15:58 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Andre Drummond betting mother lode. Thanks to @betonline_ag

https://twitter.com/duncansmithnba/status/1214281633211310081?s=21
Eww ... I hope we are used as a negotiation tool rather than a realistic trade destination... unless Danny is getting draft picks from a third team that wants Gordon Hayward.