Author Topic: All in Trade for Griffin?  (Read 10150 times)

Re: All in Trade for Griffin?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Would you rather trade for Blake or Love?
Love has been a better player this year, both are massive injury risks on big contracts....

I guess Love? I dunno both are so meh for this Celtics team. Not good fits at all. We don't need a big time usage PF who is a defensive liability.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 02:56:01 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
if the trade is Hayward and the MWE pick the pistons will jump with joy. That should be the most we are offering.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Love has been a better player this year, both are massive injury risks on big contracts....

I guess Love? I dunno both are so meh for this Celtics team. Not good fits at all. We don't need a big time usage PF who is a defensive liability.

Is Griffin not an average defender this year? I haven't seen much of him this year but he was a solid defender in years past. Love is a Kanter level defender as far as I have seen.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Smarts the best player in this trade. Why throw in Hayward also?

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Smarts the best player in this trade. Why throw in Hayward also?

You could do a straight up Hayward for Griffin trade. I'm not so sure about getting Griffen either but it's interesting to think about. Heck Griffen could be a buy out candidate and the Celtics could pick him up for next to nothing if the Pistons ever start there proper rebuild. I would love to see a Blake/Kemba pick and roll in the playoffs!

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 03:09:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm somewhat pro-Blake in terms of what he's become as his athleticism has faded and this is still a hard pass from me.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Maybe I'm a homer, but the C's trade seems way out of whack to the other 4.

Phoenix Suns
Trade Package: Kelly Oubre Jr, Tyler Johnson, First-Round Pick For Blake Griffin

Charlotte Hornets
Trade Package: Dwyane Bacon, Marvin Williams, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Second-Round Pick For Blake Griffin

Dallas Mavericks
Trade Package: Tim Hardaway Jr., Courtney Lee, Jalen Brunson, Second-Round Pick For Blake Griffin

Portland Trail Blazers

Trade Package: Hassan Whiteside, Anfernee Simmons, First-Round Pick for Blake Griffin

Boston Celtics
Trade Package: Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart For Blake Griffin

C's are giving up an All-Star caliber player and an 1st team All-D guy, and teams like Charlotte and Dallas just have to give up 3 bench players and a 2nd round pick?  Hey I get it's about making the salaries match and Griffin may be a negative asset, but c'mon now.

Surprised the author's not asking for the Memphis pick too.

I agree. The talent discrepancy between what the Celtics are giving up compared to the other 4 teams is insane. As far as injury history is concerned, I feel more comfortable with Hayward, as his two injuries have been more freak occurrences, as opposed to Griffin's, which have a higher potential of happening again (knee). Plus, Griffin's game relies more on athleticism than Hayward, so injuries would have more of a negative effect on Blake.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm somewhat pro-Blake in terms of what he's become as his athleticism has faded and this is still a hard pass from me.

I thought he played well last year against the Bucks on one leg. He showed a lot of heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKchC4t97Q

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
For people suggesting we trade Hayward for Griffin, do you remember how well Gordon was playing?

Compare their stats. 

Hayward had a .638 TS%; Griffin was at .543. Hayward was pulling down 2 more boards a game; had one more assist per game on one less turnover; had half a steal more per game.  Tiny sample size, obviously, but it reflects how very well Hayward was playing, how well he fits this team.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Blake+Griffin&player_id1_select=Blake+Griffin&player_id1=griffbl01&y1=2020&player_id2_select=Gordon+Hayward&y2=2020&player_id2=haywago01&idx=players

Hayward just works with this lineup. He was supercharging the offense by getting the team to run, making the most of Tatum, Brown, et al.'s athleticism. He was not just scoring, but making plays for teammates, drawing attention and kicking. We don't need a pick and roll guy - Theis and Williams are capable there. Hayward is three-level scorer with great vision and shooting who understands the motion offense we run.

In no universe do I make that trade - even before considering Griffin's injury history. Yes, GH has been injured but those were the results of specific impacts. He hasn't had the nagging joint and muscle problems the way Griffin has in recent years.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 03:24:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Is Griffin not an average defender this year? I haven't seen much of him this year but he was a solid defender in years past. Love is a Kanter level defender as far as I have seen.

Is not the Celtics defense above average with Smart and Hayward on the floor in most cases with the Celtics?

Is Griffin as switchable as Smart and Hayward?   

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 03:29:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Hayward > Griffin.

Better shooter, better fit, helps run the offense smoother, better play maker, his TS% was better than Griffin's before he went down. He's also a player that can help switch way better than Griffin.

Did you guys also forget?

Blake Griffin is signed on for 2 more years... He's only owed a cool $75,553,024 next two years....

Also if people were getting annoyed by Smart's 3P bombing, BG is shooting 6 attempts and making 1.9 of them at a ludicrous 31%. Yeah, super efficient...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I wanted to pursue him instead of Hayward a couple of summers ago as I thought his roster fit was better.  I'd probably consider Hayward for Griffin but see no reason to include Smart.  If they wanted to send Kennard back then I might consider Smart as well. 

All things being equal though, Love is the guy I'd rather have, he does have an extra year, but is cheaper and I trust his health more than Griffin's.  Though if I'm trading for a Cav, I think I'd rather have Thompson.  He expires next summer and has a much easier contract to acquire.  Though it would still be difficult without Smart and I don't know I want him to get him changed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Hayward > Griffin.

Better shooter, better fit, helps run the offense smoother, better play maker, his TS% was better than Griffin's before he went down. He's also a player that can help switch way better than Griffin.

Did you guys also forget?

Blake Griffin is signed on for 2 more years... He's only owed a cool $75,553,024 next two years....

Also if people were getting annoyed by Smart's 3P bombing, BG is shooting 6 attempts and making 1.9 of them at a ludicrous 31%. Yeah, super efficient...
He has played 10 games coming back from an injury.  I get the concern for his long term health, but unless you think he is done, I wouldn't put much stock in his stats thus far this year given the injury recovery.  Last year he had 7 3's a game and hit them at 36.2% (which isn't elite, but is certainly good enough). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Is not the Celtics defense above average with Smart and Hayward on the floor in most cases with the Celtics?

Is Griffin as switchable as Smart and Hayward?

No he's not...

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)