Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339512 times)

Re: Horford, Brown & Kings Pick for AD
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2018, 04:43:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
What did we give up for KG? What did we give up for Kyrie?

There usually has to be a promising young player OR a veteran all star, a first rounder, and decent role players to fill the salary gap. Giving up a promising prospect (Brown) AND an all star (Horford) would be an overpay, IMO. Then add a good first rounder on top of it?? Crazy

- LilRip

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2018, 05:04:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

There usually has to be a promising young player OR a veteran all star, a first rounder, and decent role players to fill the salary gap. Giving up a promising prospect (Brown) AND an all star (Horford) would be an overpay, IMO. Then add a good first rounder on top of it?? Crazy
Problem is AD is better and younger than KG was when we acquired him, and a lot better than Kyrie (who is an All-NBA quality guard)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:36 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Problem is AD is better and younger than KG was when we acquired him, and a lot better than Kyrie (who is an All-NBA quality guard)

And hasn't shown any intention of leaving. KG wanted to leave so the Wolves didn't have much leverage.

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i think , first AD has to want to leave .   Until that happens ,imcan't see them accepting any trade.e

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2018, 07:46:56 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think the answer to the initial question is -- of course you'd have to do that trade if NO would take it.  I doubt there's even an outside chance they'd take anything similar to that unless JB starts the season averaging 22 and the Kings go 0-20.   

That said, there is something about the KI-JB-JT-GH-AH lineup that I am really psyched to see and would be a little disappointed if we don't get to see -- even if Danny gets an offer he can't refuse.

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the answer to the initial question is -- of course you'd have to do that trade if NO would take it.  I doubt there's even an outside chance they'd take anything similar to that unless JB starts the season averaging 22 and the Kings go 0-20.   

That said, there is something about the KI-JB-JT-GH-AH lineup that I am really psyched to see and would be a little disappointed if we don't get to see -- even if Danny gets an offer he can't refuse.

Weren't you watching the first 5 minutes of the season? Geez, some people!  :P

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm not interested in Davis unless/until he adds strength and the ability to post up.

Next ;D.

Say WHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

I'm not interested in Davis unless/until he adds strength and the ability to post up.

Next ;D.
Are you serious?? That is so far from being a problem with AD's game it isn't even funny

Really, because all I've ever seen from him is that he scores on midrange jumpers and lobs. Most of his game is predicated on athleticism and he's primarily a face-up four who plays too much like a guard for my taste.

Again, if he were stronger and had actual post moves, there would be no way that Draymond Green, for example, would ever be able to push him off of his spots and take away the vast majority of his SportsCenter highlights, but I'm weird.

With a little bit more NO Pelicans watching, I think you would see that he's capable of more than you are giving him credit for. He has a very strong offensive and defensive presence down on the blocks. I cannot discern a true weakness in his game.

Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Give it a few minutes and this deal makes sense in a few ways. So there may be Irving questions, Porzingis questions  and Pelicans FA/futre options may be bleak. Slap it all together and maybe all three franchises make out in this one.

C' trade Irving, Horford, Rozier and Kings pick
C's get AD and Jrue Holiday.
-C's lose a lot but get a top 5 player and lock up the starting lineup (Holiday, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, AD) for a few years.

Knicks trade Porzingis, Lee and a top 8 protected 1st.
Knicks get Irving.
-Knicks upgrade the star/face of the franchise.

Pelicans trade AD and Holiday
Pelicans get Porzingis, Horford, Rozier, Lee, and the two first.
-Pelicans get two star bigs for a superstar big along with a two good role players and two good draft picks. They won't have to worry about signing Rondo or Cousins. They would be a good team to watch still with the players they receive and with Porzingis plus those picks the furture is bright with no need to tank.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7l7j5ss

Re: My three team AD trade.
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't believe that NOP are going to trade Davis even if they get Porzingis, Horford, and the rest of the haul you describe.

My take away from your proposed deal is if we are resigned to the fact that we need to trade Kyrie, and we can get Porzingis and a lottery pick for him, just stop right there.  I don't want to trade Kyrie but if we doubt his health or our ability to resign him, then getting Porzingis and a good pick is a pretty good return.  But instead of Courtney Lee, I want either Ntilikina or Mudiay (Knicks choice) and say Lance Thomas as the slightly upgraded filler.  We have no need for Courtney Lee.  Rather have a point guard project (Knicks will no longer need both if they have Kyrie) and a depth big.

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I don't believe that NOP are going to trade Davis even if they get Porzingis, Horford, and the rest of the haul you describe.

My take away from your proposed deal is if we are resigned to the fact that we need to trade Kyrie, and we can get Porzingis and a lottery pick for him, just stop right there.  I don't want to trade Kyrie but if we doubt his health or our ability to resign him, then getting Porzingis and a good pick is a pretty good return.  But instead of Courtney Lee, I want either Ntilikina or Mudiay (Knicks choice) and say Lance Thomas as the slightly upgraded filler.  We have no need for Courtney Lee.  Rather have a point guard project (Knicks will no longer need both if they have Kyrie) and a depth big.
So Porzingis, a pick and fillers would satisfy you for moving Irving if Irving preferred NY to Bos?

I only see moving Irving if we can secure a top 15 player to replace him. Which I thought throw everything at Davis (minus Hayward, Tatum, and Brown).

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

So Porzingis, a pick and fillers would satisfy you for moving Irving if Irving preferred NY to Bos?

I only see moving Irving if we can secure a top 15 player to replace him. Which I thought throw everything at Davis (minus Hayward, Tatum, and Brown).

I would trade Kyrie for Davis but I don't think it is realistic that NOP would trade Davis and I don't like your overall deal.  Reread the bolded part above.  Yes, I think Porzingis, Ntilikina, and say their #8 pick this year would be pretty good return for a player who we would only be trading if we doubted his health or were expecting him to sign elsewhere anyway.  Porzingis is a FA also but I think Restricted.  He is the linchpin of the deal.  He would be great starting alongside Horford (as would Davis but in your deal, we give up Horford who NOP wouldn't want anyway).

I applaud your creative and thoughtful trade.  I just like the first part but only under certain conditions as I explained.

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I would trade Kyrie for Davis but I don't think it is realistic that NOP would trade Davis and I don't like your overall deal.  Reread the bolded part above.  Yes, I think Porzingis, Ntilikina, and say their #8 pick this year would be pretty good return for a player who we would only be trading if we doubted his health or were expecting him to sign elsewhere anyway.  Porzingis is a FA also but I think Restricted.  He is the linchpin of the deal.  He would be great starting alongside Horford (as would Davis but in your deal, we give up Horford who NOP wouldn't want anyway).

I applaud your creative and thoughtful trade.  I just like the first part but only under certain conditions as I explained.
Even though we dont get a top 15 player I could live with that trade you suggested if the 8th pick was added in. But I don't know if Knicks would do it.

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Even though we dont get a top 15 player I could live with that trade you suggested if the 8th pick was added in. But I don't know if Knicks would do it.

NBA trades are always complicated.  Knicks probably only consider trading Porzingis if they doubt they can resign him (he has expressed some frustrations).  If the Knicks are hung up on the #8 pick, maybe we put in a future Memphis pick or something or change the #8 to a future Knicks pick or something else.  I am not fixated on that part.  Porzingis is a pretty rare player and is the key, Ntilikina is a promising PG prospect (about as valuable as a draft pick), Thomas is filler at a position of need, and anything else is deck chairs in my opinion.  They can be rearranged to suit the deal.

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
' trade Irving, Horford, Rozier and Kings pick

This is the problem with it, your trading both Irving and Rozier and that would be not be wise.   We need one or the other.  As is usual the word, bad should precede most trades on this board.

Who is going to play point guard.

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
' trade Irving, Horford, Rozier and Kings pick

This is the problem with it, your trading both Irving and Rozier and that would be not be wise.   We need one or the other.  As is usual the word, bad should precede most trades on this board.

Who is going to play point guard.

In the OP’s deal, Celtics would get Jrue Holiday - a PG who averaged 20 points and  6 assists last  year. I’d put his skill level between Rozier and Kyrie - above average starting PG, not quite an all star.

Think the Pellies give up too much in that trade.