Author Topic: David Aldridge: Royce White turned down chance to workout for C's  (Read 15482 times)

Re: David Aldridge: Royce White turned down chance to workout for C's
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
So no one else is going to theorize that he had a panic attack, and the "promise" rumor was leaked by his agent to cover for the fact that he no longer could handle flying to visit teams.  So, the agent is hoping if teams thinks he is cancelling the workouts due to a promise, they won't be scared off the way they would be if he was cancelling them because he is crazy?

Well, I just theorized it.  And I 100% believe it.  There is no promise.  This is an agent working overtime to get his player picked.

TP for the insightful and quite plausible theory.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think anyone is judging him for his fear of flying.  However, when you are talking about paying him millions of dollars to do a job that requires flying half of the time, then a recent history with a fear of flying is a HUGE red flag.

And the thing about anxiety disorders is that they are not always that cut and dry.  They aren't "cured".  They can be treated, but sometimes the treatment stops working.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
So no one else is going to theorize that he had a panic attack, and the "promise" rumor was leaked by his agent to cover for the fact that he no longer could handle flying to visit teams.  So, the agent is hoping if teams thinks he is cancelling the workouts due to a promise, they won't be scared off the way they would be if he was cancelling them because he is crazy?

Well, I just theorized it.  And I 100% believe it.  There is no promise.  This is an agent working overtime to get his player picked.
I suspected something like that a couple of days ago and posted it on a different thread.  Although I don't think it's his nerves about flying rather than just handling the whole workout/interview process.  He might not have been performing that great in the workouts and decided it's better to not hurt his stock anymore.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I don't think anyone is judging him for his fear of flying.  However, when you are talking about paying him millions of dollars to do a job that requires flying half of the time, then a recent history with a fear of flying is a HUGE red flag.

And the thing about anxiety disorders is that they are not always that cut and dry.  They aren't "cured".  They can be treated, but sometimes the treatment stops working.

Cosign, You can still respect a person and feel compassion for their disease and not want them on your basketball team because of that disease. 
As another example, Matt Light recently announced he had Chrones disease.  An offensive lineman having a disease that can severely impact his ability to keep on weight would be a huge red flag and if he had been diagnosed pre-draft im not sure he would have been on the pats. 

Second, with regards to the disease not being curable.  I had anxiety issues 10+ years ago and haddnt had an issue with anxiety since then.   3 months ago I  had a sudden onset of symptoms which resulted in my not being able to stay in a bed bath and beyond for more than 5 minutes before I felt like I was going to puke.  (Just as an example)  Im doing better now, but these things can really sneak up on you and once you have symptoms once there really isnt any way to say that you won't get them again. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think ATL wants him and Danny is going to make them trade up in front the Cs to get him.

Is he going to get past Minnesota at #18?
That's the conjecture that I've read elsewhere too.  

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't understand why Minnesota would want Royce White. They have Kevin Love (franchise player) + Derrick Williams (last year's #2 overall pick) at the PF position already. There are no minutes available for White.

They badly need reinforcements at the SG + SF positions and there is a good chance that they can get a quality player at one of those positions. I expect them do that, fill that need, or, maybe take a chance on a Fab Melo type prospect (defensive center).

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Well that figures.  All this hype about taking shooting guards ,  wouldn't surprize me if White goes several spots higher. 

And leave us holding the 6' 3-5" players .

:-X

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
I don't understand why Minnesota would want Royce White. They have Kevin Love (franchise player) + Derrick Williams (last year's #2 overall pick) at the PF position already. There are no minutes available for White.

Good points, but I was kind of warming up to the idea. Another top 20 prospect would drop if White goes before us.

As much as I like White as a prospect, his situation could be a drain on everybody in the locker room. Reliability, and whatnot.

I could also see him clashing with Rondo, or Rondo clashing with White. White would want Rondo's job, ultimately.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

They badly need reinforcements at the SG + SF positions and there is a good chance that they can get a quality player at one of those positions. I expect them do that, fill that need, or, maybe take a chance on a Fab Melo type prospect (defensive center).

Just ran across this:

"...He said he sent a message via Hoiberg to Wolves President of Basketball Operations David Kahn suggesting he would give up his "right pinky toe" for the chance to return home.

"I'd definitely love to play for that city and that community, it being the city that kind of raised me," White said. "I went to a couple of games last year, sat in the crowd. That's a young, talented team. Kevin Love was one of the more impressive players I saw all year. If you can't play next to Kevin Love and (Ricky) Rubio and those guys ..."

The Wolves already have Love and his new $61 million contract at power forward. The league's only other 260-pound small forward is LeBron James, a player after whom White says he has modeled his game some.

But the Wolves also need wing players who can handle the ball and create plays, two skills that make White so unique for his size. Hoiberg said he believes White and Love could play together because of their differences, with White being a "playmaker-facilitator" who has quick feet and defends better on the perimeter than he does down low."

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/25/4586688/royce-white-becoming-a-tantalizing.html

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58

I agree with you, they have no need for another PF.

But do you really think Kahn needs a reason? He drafted 3 point guards in 2009.

Btw, I remember reading that White said he would love to play in his hometown Wolves.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
My question...is Royce really a power forward in the NBA?  He seems more of a tweener at his size.  If Jeff Green is 6'9" and 235 and he is undersized what is Royce? 

I know he is athletic, so maybe he could make the transition to the 3?  Even after seeing him play a lot, I am not sure where he fits in.  If we compare him to our starting 3 PP, Royce seems to be just a quick at least as Pierce.  But he doesn't seem to be a wing type player on offense in the nba.  Does he still play a point forward type position with the right team in hte nba?

I agree with you, they have no need for another PF.

But do you really think Kahn needs a reason? He drafted 3 point guards in 2009.

Btw, I remember reading that White said he would love to play in his hometown Wolves.

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
yes

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
Obviously Doc and DA should take notes from Hannibal Smith on how to get a large black man into a plane.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

100% belief that he has no promise despite Chad Ford's assertion that he has multiple sources indicating promise?

Why are you so eager to believe the least savory possibility when it comes to White?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Good points, but I was kind of warming up to the idea. Another top 20 prospect would drop if White goes before us.

I agree. I think he goes to Minny and somebody drops.

Would like to have him, warts and all, but I think that more than one slider falls to us on draft day. (Sullinger, PJones, TJones)....I've got a good feeling about this draft for us!