Author Topic: David Aldridge: Royce White turned down chance to workout for C's  (Read 15481 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-celtics/2012/6/25/3116303/2012-nba-draft-rumors-royce-white-boston-celtics-promise

Several reports have indicated that the Boston Celtics made a 2012 NBA Draft promise to Royce White of Iowa State, but David Aldridge of NBA.com reported to the contrary on Monday.

Aldridge cited a source who claimed the Celtics have not made any promises to select White if he falls to their first-round picks (No. 21 and No. 22), and that the Celtics were actually turned down when they attempted to have White visit for a workout last week.

White, a burly, 6-foot-8 power forward with enough perimeter skill to be used as a point-forward during his lone season at Iowa State, is perceived to have top-10 talent. But concerns regarding his personality -- he has anxiety disorder, a severe fear of flying on airplanes, and a criminal record (he pleaded guilty to shoplifting charges while at the University of Minnesota before leaving the school amid suspicion that he was involved in a campus laptop theft) -- should make him available in the latter half of the first round.

hmmm well that's interesting....

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that he is one of our picks . Could he have a promise from a late lottery team?

Re: David Aldridge: Royce White turned down chance to workout for C's
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
maybe Atlanta which is after the C's pick.  seen rumors here that Atlanta may have been the team making him a promise

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So he didn't want to FLY to Boston for a visit?  hmmmmm...

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think ATL wants him and Danny is going to make them trade up in front the Cs to get him.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I'd love to see him go to Portland

Let Royce White play the four spot with Aldridge sliding over to the center position. Portland creating a very tough offensively orientated team. Nic Batum at the two. Maybe Liliard along with Wes Matthews in the backcourt. Lots of quickness. Ball-handlers. Shooters. Pick and roll play. Transition.

Yeah, that would be fun. I'd like that.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think ATL wants him and Danny is going to make them trade up in front the Cs to get him.

Is he going to get past Minnesota at #18?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Oh, Orlando, that would be a great home for White too.

I think White and Dwight Howard would work well together. His ball-handling and passing ability creating matchup problems at the four spot. Oooh, put them in pick and rolls together. Tough. Lots of rebounding.   

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:01:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
So no one else is going to theorize that he had a panic attack, and the "promise" rumor was leaked by his agent to cover for the fact that he no longer could handle flying to visit teams.  So, the agent is hoping if teams thinks he is cancelling the workouts due to a promise, they won't be scared off the way they would be if he was cancelling them because he is crazy?

Well, I just theorized it.  And I 100% believe it.  There is no promise.  This is an agent working overtime to get his player picked.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Howard didn't already have one foot out the door....

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
So no one else is going to theorize that he had a panic attack, and the "promise" rumor was leaked by his agent to cover for the fact that he no longer could handle flying to visit teams.  So, the agent is hoping if teams thinks he is cancelling the workouts due to a promise, they won't be scared off the way they would be if he was cancelling them because he is crazy?

Well, I just theorized it.  And I 100% believe it.  There is no promise.  This is an agent working overtime to get his player picked.

If that is true, that would be one hell of a story.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

If that is true, that would be one hell of a story.

Why?  That stuff happens all the time, where agents manipulate the media to try to improve their players status, and this is a well documented issue with White.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
So, we've had five years of Ray Allen's OCD...  we've had Delonte West and his bi-polar disorder a couple times...  and now we might be drafting a kid with SEVERE anxiety disorder?

What's next?  Trade for Metta World Peace?  Stephan Marbury chowing down on Vasoline was nothing compared to these guys. 

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
So, we've had five years of Ray Allen's OCD...  we've had Delonte West and his bi-polar disorder a couple times...  and now we might be drafting a kid with SEVERE anxiety disorder?

What's next?  Trade for Metta World Peace?  Stephan Marbury chowing down on Vasoline was nothing compared to these guys. 
Honestly if  they can ball I don't care what type of disorder a player has.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Honestly if  they can ball I don't care what type of disorder a player has.

....  which is fine - but I don't think Doc has been getting enough credit for the personalities he's had to handle!

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
So, we've had five years of Ray Allen's OCD...  we've had Delonte West and his bi-polar disorder a couple times...  and now we might be drafting a kid with SEVERE anxiety disorder?

What's next?  Trade for Metta World Peace?  Stephan Marbury chowing down on Vasoline was nothing compared to these guys.  
Honestly if  they can ball I don't care what type of disorder a player has.

....  which is fine - but I don't think Doc has been getting enough credit for the personalities he's had to handle!

please....
Ray Allen is a hall of fame player and an endless worker. His  OCD has actually helped him become the player he is .

As far as Royce White goes some of you sound really ignorant about Anxiety issues. The guy isn't a crazy wacko nut job, he just has had a bad fear of flying and stupid youthful decisions he has overcome in the past year. God forbid someone gets scared about flying thousands of feet up in the air in basically a tin can and having no control over the situation....

He has been changing his life around the past few years. He is a very bright kid who even taught himself to play the Piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfOYhlTjwZE

On his 21st bday , he had a non alcoholic fundraiser for kids with anxiety disorders. To me this kid is doing everything he can to help shine a light on anxiety disorders to help others with the disorder see that they are not "crazy or nut jobs" just because some ignorant people still think that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:39:21 PM by rondohondo »