Author Topic: Why is no one talking about Jeff Taylor  (Read 7499 times)

Why is no one talking about Jeff Taylor
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Just wondering.

I haven't seen him play, but from high lights and scouting reports he seems NBA ready now.

Good size at 6'7" 226. and with that size a good defensive player, guarded everything but the center in collage.

Good spot up shooter, cuts, runs well.

Doesn't create his won shot, but said would excel playing with a traditional PG(Rondo), and is good in the pick and roll.

He's improved every year, and would most likely pick up elements to his game in his career.

People say he's old at the age of 23, but I say hes seasoned and ready to help on opening night, unlike some other prospects out there.

Re: Why is no one talking about Jeff Taylor
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Because Ainge wants to draft him and is talking up everyone else to make sure that Taylor is available for the Celtics.  You may want to have this thread deleted before Danny has you killed to silence you and keep you from ruining his plan.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I have no doubt that Taylor will be one of the c's picks at 21 or 22 if he's there ( unless a few supposed lottery picks fall into our lap) . Danny mentioned on WEEI that the c's need players that can contribute right away out of the draft and Taylor fits that. Plus he plays D and can get out and run the fast break and spot up 3.

I will be happy with a draft of one of Royce White/Terrence Jones/Sullinger/Perry Jones  + Taylor  

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
If I recall correctly, Jeff Green wasn't particularly good guarding LeBron, not that anybody really is.

I'm not sure Taylor is the guy either, although he comes closer.

If Green doesn't come back, I'd be more curious about Jeff Taylor as a pick, but not otherwise.

Terrence Jones might actually be the best guy to guard Lebron and Carmelo from this draft, for all I know, even though Jones will mostly be a PF.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
I was very excited about him, but I have cooled of a bit because of his small(relatively)wingspan. If we don't move up...
for 21 and 22, I have:
1 John Jenkins
2 Royce White
3 Jeff Taylor
4 Marquis Teague
5 Doron Lamb
6 Andrew Nicholson
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:07:54 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
If I recall correctly, Jeff Green wasn't particularly good guarding LeBron, not that anybody really is.

I'm not sure Taylor is the guy either, although he comes closer.

If Green doesn't come back, I'd be more curious about Jeff Taylor as a pick, but not otherwise.

Terrence Jones might actually be the best guy to guard Lebron and Carmelo from this draft, for all I know, even though Jones will mostly be a PF.

Jeff Green was very good guarding Carmelo and Lebron in 2011.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If none of the projected lottery players slip to the Celtics I expect them to go safe with Nicholson and Taylor.

Why he isn't being talked about has to do with where the Celtics are in their development process. Celtics fans hope that this draft will be the one that ushers us into a new era. Due to this fans are expecting the Celtics to pick players with high upside that can come in and contribute after the bg 3 are gone.

Rondo, Bradley and Taylor would make it so wings had a tough time scoring on us.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Yeah, I haven't seen him play but I think he could bea  real sleeper.

1. Great athleticism
2. Apparently a lock down defender at the wing
3. A developing offensive game

Could contribute right away.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »

Offline cdiraimo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
His comparison's are aaron affalo and thabo sefelosha... not the most flashy names out there to compare but definitely a really solid pro that is needed on every championship team. Safe pick that I would feel really good about.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Because Ainge wants to draft him and is talking up everyone else to make sure that Taylor is available for the Celtics.  You may want to have this thread deleted before Danny has you killed to silence you and keep you from ruining his plan.

exactly,   I fully expect Danny to make choies  NONE of us bloggers are thinking.he'll make some off the wall four way trade, and pic some guys we never heard of .  

With Danny always expect the unexpected.

Pic the 10 players out the top 40 you know least about and chances his two will come from those

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
If none of the projected lottery players slip to the Celtics I expect them to go safe with Nicholson and Taylor.

Why he isn't being talked about has to do with where the Celtics are in their development process. Celtics fans hope that this draft will be the one that ushers us into a new era. Due to this fans are expecting the Celtics to pick players with high upside that can come in and contribute after the bg 3 are gone.

Rondo, Bradley and Taylor would make it so wings had a tough time scoring on us.

Exactly, which will kind of bum me out. If Danny keeps the two first round picks I would like to see him "roll the dice" on at least one of the picks. Maybe get a player to develop and a player to come
In the rotation right away.

Harkless, Moultrie, Terrance Jones, Perry Jones, and Quincy Miller...if Danny passes on any of them I may actually throw up
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I am extremely biased since I run the Vandy blog Anchor of Gold, but I've been following Taylor since he was just a recruit out of New Mexico. He's got the bloodlines of a NBA father and the athleticism of a thoroughbred. Here's what I said about him about a month ago here:

Still, and I am biased as hell, but I'd love to get JT. He's perpetually worked to improve himself and commune his skills to an awesome athletic background. He's a high-level defender (3 straight years on the SEC All-Defense team) and he's developed a jumper to go along with a good ability to get to the basket. He shot 9% from 3 as a sophomore and 42% as a senior.

He's a bit of a headcase on the court though. He can get discouraged and fade away offensively during games if his shot isn't falling. However, his high level defense rarely falls off. Here's what he did against Michael Kidd-Gilchrist in 2012:

MKG in 3 games against Vandy:
17 points (total), 7-18 shooting, 15 rebounds, 13 fouls, 6 turnovers

JT in 3 games against UK:
50 points (total), 19-40 shooting, 29 rebounds, 9 fouls, 4 turnovers

Granted, the two weren't paired off on each other for the entirety of the time that they spent on the court, but JT acquitted himself very well against a player who is projected to be an All-Star SF. If the Celtics could get him late in the 1st round, he'd be VERY groomable behind Paul Pierce.

The knock on Taylor is his consistency. He tended to drift in and out of games offensively through his career, and when he hit cold patches he was prone to stop shooting for a spell. Still, that defensive effort never waned and he has the mindset and athletic profile to be a high level defender in the NBA.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »

Offline Celtic#9

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15
Shane Battier 2.0?

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Shane Battier 2.0?

I like that comparison, but I think he is more athletic than Battier. If you can get a Battier type player who can guard 3 positions you do it. With the other pick I hope we take a high potential guy like Royce White , Quincy Miller or Wroten

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
i haven't seen much of him, but i've been thinking about him at one of our picks since i read this part of the scouting report at nbadraft.net

"...Runs the floor extremely well, and can beat the entire defense down the floor for easy buckets at times … Taylor is best on offense when he can move without the ball to find open spots to get high percentage looks around the basket … Will make a big man pay if they aren’t aware of him on the weakside … You have to watch out for him on baseline slashes …"

Does this sound like a perfect compliment to Rondo (and Garnett) or what?  Throw in the fact that he's a defensive player and he's perfect for Doc too.  If we keep both picks, Taylor could be the "safe" pick and we could pick one "upside" guy for the future.