Author Topic: C's Would Benefit Even More With Another Depth Big/Bench Scorer  (Read 10179 times)

C's Would Benefit Even More With Another Depth Big/Bench Scorer
« on: November 10, 2017, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Obviously through 13 games, LOTS TO LOVE, and after a game like tonight, how can't you be excited about our future, and even potential for this season especially if Cleveland looks a bit "weaker" even after Isaiah returns.  8)

I'm telling you, if this team can use the DPE (OR Cut Nader and have DPE, AND Vet Minimum for 2 OPEN roster spots) on another depth big and/or another scoring option off the bench, it would really benefit this team immensely.

As we're seeing, when one of Horford/Baynes goes down to injury for some time, the team's depth is thin and it really shows at times, and there are also occasions where when the bench comes in, the scoring just completely dries up and no offense is generated (though fortunately tonight, that wasn't the case).

Ainge obviously won't be in a rush and I'm not saying the C's have to make a move ASAP, but I really LOVE the idea of possibly adding a guy like Greg Monroe, or someone with tremendous low risk, high reward potential in 21 y/o Jahlil Okafor, and both these guys are also depth bigs who can also score.

Surely, more names may pop up as the season progresses (through trade rumors and buy-outs), but outside of hoping we can stay healthy, making a trade OR signing (using DPE and/or vet. min) for another good depth big and/or scoring option off the bench could make a BIG difference in the playoffs IMHO (esp. in a series against Cleveland, as the armor on Cleveland is starting to crack a little it seems, meaning there's a slightly better chance we can beat them this time).

And yes, maybe these guys are purely rentals, but for vet. min or if it costs like a mere 2nd round pick in a trade.. if this team keeps playing like they have been and showing they have a legit chance to go far.. I don't think Ainge would hesitate.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: C's Would Benefit Even More With Another Depth Big/Bench Scorer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:26:59 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
you are correct. whoever we grab needs to be able to score..CBS can teach them defense. we need a scorer.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 11:48:33 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Vucevic

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:01:43 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I get your point, but how many teams would love to be able to play Brown, or Rozier, or Smart, or Tatum, or Yabusele, or Ojeyle?

A veteran could be a slight upgrade, but I definitely don't think its a need, and a couple regular season wins this year probably aren't worth the long-term growth from these young guys as they get their reps in a winning system.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Vucevic

Magic are doing really well and Vucevic is having a great season (will cost a lot more in trade).

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I want to see what we can do with Monta Ellis.

Now I know, he's a troubled basketball player as far as shot selection, efficiency and defense, but we've seen how Brad can turn an average, no defense scorer (Jordan Crawford) into a reliable off the bench player. He does have the talent of a solid NBA scorer, and could probably be had for the minimum.

I mean, we saw it with Shane Larkin last night that players can be reliable under Brad, and he was out of the league last year, maybe Brad can do something with Ellis...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Now I know, he's a troubled basketball player as far as shot selection, efficiency and defense, but we've seen how Brad can turn an average, no defense scorer (Jordan Crawford) into a reliable off the bench player. He does have the talent of a solid NBA scorer, and could probably be had for the minimum.

I mean, we saw it with Shane Larkin last night that players can be reliable under Brad, and he was out of the league last year, maybe Brad can do something with Ellis...

That's a possibility.

What has Monta Ellis been up to lately? Or is he just sitting around waiting for an opportunity?

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Belinelli.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
We need more depth period.  As long as it is a quality player.  As we have seen, injuries can strike at any time.  Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Irving, etc.  All have missed some time.  Nobody's safe from the injury bug.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 02:26:02 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
We need more depth period.  As long as it is a quality player.  As we have seen, injuries can strike at any time.  Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Irving, etc.  All have missed some time.  Nobody's safe from the injury bug.
i did not realize that severely sprained ankles, concussions, and the ilk were contagious.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 03:52:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I really like the idea of adding Greg Monroe if it ONLY requires DPE/Vet Min.

How about you guys?

And if we want to have another roster spot for another bought out player or someone like Okafor, then cut Nader.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 04:20:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Monroe and Okafor are horrible fits for this team. Down low offensive players without an ability to switch onto anyone or closeout three point shooters. This team just doesn't play a system that would make these players effective.

I would rather go after a player like Belinelli or Ilyasova.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Could someone humor me and give your opinion on using the DPE on Belinelli please?

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Could someone humor me and give your opinion on using the DPE on Belinelli please?

Thanks,

Smitty77

He's okay but out of all the options and potential options he's not high on my list tbh.

Now if they cut Nader and we had two open spots (and two exceptions), I guess I wouldn't mind using one of them on Belinelli.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Gerald Green would be an excellent choice, still.

Plenty of Celtic ties, great locker room presence, and he's able to express his story to the youngsters. You can never have too many vets, especially if they fit our Horford/Hayward timeline, and taken into consideration, we're like the 5th youngest team.

I like Ellis, but I fear his defensive inconsistency will become contagious. He certainly tries, but he gets absolutely smothered to death on picks. He can't shoot the 3 well either. Larkin pretty much brings what he does to the table for a cheaper and team friendlier contract.

Monroe and Okafor are horrible fits for this team. Down low offensive players without an ability to switch onto anyone or closeout three point shooters. This team just doesn't play a system that would make these players effective.

I would rather go after a player like Belinelli or Ilyasova.

I think Ilyasova would also be a great choice. Belinelli I'll pass on, but I do think Okafor could still do well on this team, same goes for Monroe. Monroe has skillful passing, and can command double teams, along with Okafor, who used to see that a lot in his rookie days.

Their defense, and inability to space like you said, seems to be why Stevens/Ainge aren't that high on them.

Do you think the Hawks are gonna buy him out, or do you think we'll cough up an 2nd rounder?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different