Author Topic: Celtics offered some of their best draft assets for Kawhi  (Read 7207 times)

Re: Celtics offered some of their best draft assets for Kawhi
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
San Antonio was 47-35 last year and added DeRozan, Poetlt, Belinell and Cunningham while losing Parker and Green. I am not counting Kawhi since he pretty much no showed last season. I could see San Antonio becoming a 50+ win team again. 4-6 seed.

I could easily see SAS as a 3 seed, and a 2 seed wouldn’t completely surprise me.  If Houston is a one-year wonder in terms of record, the Spurs could leapfrog them.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Did the Spurs actually take DeRozan, Poeltl, and a protected 1st over a defensive monster in Marcus Smart, a solid player in Marcus Morris, a lottery pick in Sacramento, and a Memphis pick?

I think Boston had the stronger offer than the Raptors.
Apparently not.  To part with a top-5 player, SAS wanted an all-star in return along with picks and some youth.  Smart + Morris + picks wasn't going to get it done.

The last time Kawhi was a top 5 player, IT was a top 20 and probably top 10 player in the NBA. A lot has changed since then.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:47:34 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 11:52:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Did the Spurs actually take DeRozan, Poeltl, and a protected 1st over a defensive monster in Marcus Smart, a solid player in Marcus Morris, a lottery pick in Sacramento, and a Memphis pick?

I think Boston had the stronger offer than the Raptors.
It isn't unreasonable.

DeRozan is a 4 time All-Star who has scored 20+ ppg for 5 years, and Poeltl is a solid big.

San Antonio really don't need another guard who can't shoot next to Murray, and with LMA, Gay and Bertans eating up most of the minutes at the 3/4 the minutes for Morris wouldn't be too high. For the limited amount of time Pop has left in him they likely want to stay as a potential threat
Plus there was no way they were going to be able to tank themselves with the contracts/players they have locked up.
100%

That Gasol contract is very nasty in particular
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 12:02:48 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Spurs wanted a proven 20 point scorer, not draft picks.

They weren't going full rebuild, they also want to win now

This is the problem.  Pop probably only has a few years of coaching left.  By appeasing him to be a mediocre team now it will hinder their future.  You will not always find a Kawhi that late in the draft.  They are a fringe playoff team with Derozan.  Why not rebuild for a few years while the big players in the west get older.  Makes no sense to me.  What if having those draft assets turned into a superstar player down later in the season where they could flip those picks.  Derozan just doesn't do it for me.

I'm not sure their future is all that hindered.   Yes, they have some key guys that are old.  But half their roster is between 21 - 28 years old, including several key rotation players.   

They can continue to compete for a couple more years and then trade some of the older contracts for draft picks and rebuild "on the fly" similar to what Danny just did.   Buford is a pretty smart guy.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I recall seeing a quote where Ainge said he wouldn't trade any rotation player for Leonard unless he would sign an extension. I think that was the position of the Sixers and other teams. I would be surprised if Danny offered any more than draft picks.

That Toronto GM has a reputation for throwing dice. Making the big splash. Firing the coach after he was named coach of the year. Unpredictable guy. So he deals one of his core stars for somebody else's star. Looks like a standoff, at best, to me. At least DeRozen is healthy and has his head on straight. Good deal for Pop.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 05:00:55 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
With the way Leonard has been playing for the Raptors, I would have to say I'm not pleased.  The reports that were issued may have been worst sports journalism in recent memory.  Sure, things were likely a huge risk without any sort of commitment from Leonard but it honestly was the injury that was most misreported.  The man is completely fine and the Celtics should have made a better offer. 

The Celtics are in a decent position and shouldn't worry about this but I can't help realize we may have missed a chance at our potential best player for the next decade.  I think it had been so long we forgot what Leonard was capable of doing. 

I guess it is just tough looking around the league and seeing our team unable to score with all this talent has me bummed.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 06:07:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
per Realgm wiretap.

This isn't from Real GM, it's from Zach Lowe. The difference can't be understated. I often see things posted on here as being from Real GM, when in reality they're just repeating what someone else has reported.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 06:59:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
None of those draft assets topped DeRozan though...so we had no chance in the deal.

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 08:44:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
DeMar is averaging 28ppg, 7apg and 6rpg. Nothing the Celtics could have offered would beat what he provides, especially in the context of the Popovich timeframe
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I recall seeing a quote where Ainge said he wouldn't trade any rotation player for Leonard unless he would sign an extension. I think that was the position of the Sixers and other teams. I would be surprised if Danny offered any more than draft picks.

That Toronto GM has a reputation for throwing dice. Making the big splash. Firing the coach after he was named coach of the year. Unpredictable guy. So he deals one of his core stars for somebody else's star. Looks like a standoff, at best, to me. At least DeRozen is healthy and has his head on straight. Good deal for Pop.

Toronto was in a very unique position, after their season ended. For the past few years, they have been a very good regular season team, but always seemed to fall flat on their faces in the playoffs. The Raptors needed a change, so they decided to fire their head coach and they also needed to break up their core of Lowry and Derozan. To me, Lowry has an untradeable contract, so it had to be Derozan. Whether or not if Kawhi stays, I feel like Toronto will get exactly what they wanted out of this trade. Either they get a true superstar player in Kawhi long term, or he leaves and Toronto is no longer on the hook for an overpriced fringe all-star in Derozan, that didn’t perform in the playoffs. I personally think it was a great gamble by Toronto, especially with their home court. I could see Kawhi falling in love with playing in that arena and staying.

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I felt the problem for Danny was the inability to match salaries. This past off season, the Celtics either had max salary players that Danny wouldn’t part with, guys on rookie deals, or key bench guy making around $5M (Baynes and Morris). I would have had no issue if Danny was willing to trade Jaylen Brown, and some of those draft picks. However, what other players would need to get added to come up with that additional $15-18M to make the salaries match? The best part of that Marcus Smart deal, is that it’s a salary that can be used to help match with the next potential Kawhi level type of deal. Unfortunately for the Celtics, that deal happened one year too late.