Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 549636 times)

blink, Celtics2021, President Red, bdm860, BudweiserCeltic, kraidstar and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #4845 on: April 14, 2024, 03:57:46 PM »

Online MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Wyc let it slip today that he thinks the Celtics start their playoffs next Sunday.

it’s not a slip, it’s known and definite

« Reply #4846 on: April 14, 2024, 03:58:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Honestly, this may end up working out well for the Sixers.

If New York wins, I would think that Philly is favored in that series, even without HCA. Then, they're also likely favored against either Milwaukee or Indy in the second round.

They may actually have their best path to the ECF than they've ever had.

They will definitely be underdogs against bucks if Giannis plays with bucks having hca. (You could convince me they could be the better team but that is what the odds will be). They will also be decided underdogs if they play us without homecourt advantage. Love your enthusiasm potter but this definitely not their easiest path. May actually be one of their toughest if they play bucks and us without home court.

« Reply #4847 on: April 14, 2024, 04:00:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

If New York wins, I would think that Philly is favored in that series, even without HCA. Then, they're also likely favored against either Milwaukee or Indy in the second round.

They will definitely be underdogs against bucks if Giannis plays with bucks having hca. (You could convince me they could be the better team but that is what the odds will be). They will also be decided underdogs if they play us without homecourt advantage. Love your enthusiasm potter but this definitely not their easiest path. May actually be one of their toughest if they play bucks and us without home court.

Side note but I can't help but think of Severus Snape when you said that  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4848 on: April 14, 2024, 04:03:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, Wolves down big already and Thunder + Nuggets up, so OKC would be the 1 seed.

In that case, might not be a bad thing if LAL stays the 7-8 bracket and wins their game to be the 7 seed to face MIN or DEN. No chance OKC beats LAL in a series though

« Reply #4849 on: April 14, 2024, 04:05:01 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Are the Pelicans playing for anything today? 

« Reply #4850 on: April 14, 2024, 04:07:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah they need to win to keep the 6 seed, otherwise a loss + Phoenix win (they are up 22 btw) means they drop to the play-in since Suns hold H2H tiebreaker

« Reply #4851 on: April 14, 2024, 04:08:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If they win, they avoid the play-in.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4852 on: April 14, 2024, 04:11:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

What other year do you think that they've had an easier path to the ECF than this one?

They certainly didn't in 2023 having to face us in the second round, and the same can be said about 2022 with having to face Miami in the second round, both of which I think are quite a bit better than NYK or Milwaukee/Indy this year.

2020 was the bubble and they didn't have Simmons and played us in the first round. 2019 they lost to the champion Raptors in the second round, so again not an easy path. 2018 they lost to us in the second round.

I guess in 2021 they had the easier playoff path with the Wizards and Hawks that they choked, and you could even say the play-in adds some complexity this year.

But I definitely think Philly is more primed to go to the ECF this year than they've been in the last six to seven years of being a borderline contender outside of 2021.

« Reply #4853 on: April 14, 2024, 04:15:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

What other year do you think that they've had an easier path to the ECF than this one?

They certainly didn't in 2023 having to face us in the second round, and the same can be said about 2022 with having to face Miami in the second round, both of which I think are quite a bit better than NYK or Milwaukee/Indy this year.

2020 was the bubble and they didn't have Simmons and played us in the first round. 2019 they lost to the champion Raptors in the second round, so again not an easy path. 2018 they lost to us in the second round.

I guess in 2021 they had the easier playoff path with the Wizards and Hawks that they choked, and you could even say the play-in adds some complexity this year.

But I definitely think Philly is more primed to go to the ECF this year than they've been in the last six to seven years of being a borderline contender outside of 2021.

You are really glossing over the key part here. They are not even in the playoffs yet and you are saying it is their easiest path. You don’t realize why that is a bit ridiculous?

Also you are just completely dismissing home court advantage being worth anything (which odds makers consider worth about 2.5 points per game in playoffs). Last year the 76ers played a mikal bridges led nets in the first round. If they had somehow beaten the Celtics they would have played the heat. Saying that is a tougher road than having to win a game to make playoffs and then having three series without homecourt advantage is frankly preposterous

Being in the playin is awful and is why you see all these teams going crazy in the East and west to avoid it. You add in that Embid literally left their last game briefly with injury  was not effective when he returned and I feel like I am reading one of of tazz’ posts about the teams.

« Reply #4854 on: April 14, 2024, 04:23:45 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • GOT IT!!!
I’m pretty happy with the results today. Tougher first round but get to avoid the tougher 2nd rounder had Cleveland won.

« Reply #4855 on: April 14, 2024, 04:35:19 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Do they know that?

« Reply #4856 on: April 14, 2024, 04:39:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Looking like Kings-Warriors, Pelicans-Lakers play-in games. Denver is likely the 2 seed while OKC is 1 unless the Wolves comeback. So the Pelicans-Lakers might strategize if they want to avoid DEN first round  :P

Kings-Warriors should be electric even if for one game. A Suns-Wolves series would be fun too.

« Reply #4857 on: April 14, 2024, 04:41:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Looking like Kings-Warriors, Pelicans-Lakers play-in games. Denver is likely the 2 seed while OKC is 1 unless the Wolves comeback. So the Pelicans-Lakers might strategize if they want to avoid DEN first round  :P

Kings-Warriors should be electric even if for one game. A Suns-Wolves series would be fun too.

You guys are killing me today. lol

« Reply #4858 on: April 14, 2024, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

You guys are killing me today. lol

That's our specialty  ;)

« Reply #4859 on: April 14, 2024, 04:45:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Do they know that?

Good question