Poll

Is the NBA Lottery Rigged?

No. Stop worrying about this.
30 (85.7%)
Yes. And Silver won't let the Celtics get another top selection.
2 (5.7%)
Yes. And Silver hates the 76'ers so we don't have to worry.
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: October 24, 2018, 04:18:43 PM

Author Topic: A horrible thought about our SAC pick.  (Read 10627 times)

A horrible thought about our SAC pick.
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
If I were the league and I wanted to promote the narrative of Celtics vs 76ers historic rivalry revival, would I make sure that the SAC pick goes #1 so that the 76ers can get another piece to close the gap?

I mean, what's better for the (rest of the) NBA? Giving the Celtics ANOTHER top selection (2-7) or miraculously gifting the 76ers another chance at a superstar to contend in the East?

For the sake of parity, will Silver intervene?
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Re: A horrible thought about our SAC pick.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 04:25:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If I were the league and I wanted to promote the narrative of Celtics vs 76ers historic rivalry revival, would I make sure that the SAC pick goes #1 so that the 76ers can get another piece to close the gap?

I mean, what's better for the (rest of the) NBA? Giving the Celtics ANOTHER top selection (2-7) or miraculously gifting the 76ers another chance at a superstar to contend in the East?

You could also make the argument that the league does not want to the 76ers to be successful because they are desperately trying to avoid widespread league tanking (see rule changes and fine last year to dallas, discussions with chicago). If I was going to get into a conspiracy theory I would find it easier to believe the league would be against philly rather than for them.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:28:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You could also make the argument that the league does not want to the 76ers to be successful because they are desperately trying to avoid widespread league tanking (see rule changes and fine last year to dallas, discussions with chicago). If I was going to get into a conspiracy theory I would find it easier to believe the league would be against philly rather than for them.
would have to agree with this if there were indeed a conspiracy surrounding that pick. 

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Silver is a smart guy. And as far as I know has integrity (see his handling of Sterling mess).

Any effort to rig the lottery would send him to jail if caught. To many hands involved not to get caught.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel

I guess. I mean, yeah that makes sense. Still, there's big bucks to be made from a slugfest between two historic eastern conference rivals. And it's pretty clear that rivalry hasn't manifested in the way it would need to in order to bring in the big $$

I get wanting to punish tankers, but money talks. The league has been talking a lot about parity lately with GSW, and giving the C's another top pick destroys any "parity" in the east...
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel
Silver is a smart guy. And as far as I know has integrity (see his handling of Sterling mess).

Any effort to rig the lottery would send him to jail if caught. To many hands involved not to get caught.

yeah. I'm sure you're right.
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
There will be more money is making the Celtics good enough to go 7 games with Golden State,
or LA Lakers with Leonard added, or Houston...
than making it about Philly verses Boston..
I promise you a pick between 2 and 5 :)

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
You know how I know that the NBA lottery isn't rigged?

The last time that the Knicks won it was in 1985. The NBA would love nothing more than the Knicks to be a winner, financially speaking. It's the largest NBA market and one of the worst teams -- the most potential swing. Imagine how much extra revenue they'd get if their largest market had a good team?

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel

The last time that the Knicks won it was in 1985. The NBA would love nothing more than the Knicks to be a winner, financially speaking. It's the largest NBA market and one of the worst teams -- the most potential swing. Imagine how much extra revenue they'd get if their largest market had a good team?

Maybe I should start worrying that all the top players are wings instead of worrying that we wont get the pick.

Our wing spot is loaded. Not sure where we'd find the minutes for another natural 3.
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Even should the Sixers get it, I would not trust on them nailing the pick.  Word of advice, don't worry about things you cannot control.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Silver is smart, he’d set the Celts up as a dominant team. Leagues thrice on villains, and rival fan bases love to hate the Celts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd love for that pick to end up 2-7...

BOS is FINALLY starting to have things pan out OUR WAY...

Lost Bias.

Lost Reggie.

Lost out on the Tim Duncan sweepstakes.

Endured the Lean Years.

Got Pierce some help in KG and Ray, BUT these two were later in their careers and our window was closing the MINUTE they got to BOS..

KG comes up limping during that visit to Utah in 09, and I knew right there that something was wrong...

Got Shaq in 2010-11 but man couldn't stay healthy. We were dominant while he was healthy, though.

If we do end up with that SAC pick 2-7 I will NOT bat an eye and I'll trust Danny Ainge and CBS to do their thing and continue to make this team stronger.

We are due. It's our time, FINALLY.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
what are fans supposed to do... root for SAC to win as much as possible to have the best chance of avoiding a worst case scenario?  :D

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Maybe I should start worrying that all the top players are wings instead of worrying that we wont get the pick.

Our wing spot is loaded. Not sure where we'd find the minutes for another natural 3.
Zion is not exactly a typical wing player but yeah, it might be until Charles Bassey when we see the first big come off the board. There's currently no PG's that look like a top 10 pick either. There's some good potential though and I wouldn't necessarily punt on this draft pick. Reddish, Barrett, Little, Zion, Langford and Sekou could all turn out to be all-stars. It's like complaining about having to pick from Adriana Lima, Megan Fox or Miranda Kerr when you really want a hot blonde.

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 02:14:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

There's a good chance if the pick is high that we're either trading the pick or trading one of our wings. Agree that we're not adding a 4th top wing to the mix, as much as that'd be a good problem to have.