Author Topic: Zach Lowe's Rondo Injury Article  (Read 5230 times)

Zach Lowe's Rondo Injury Article
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8890026/with-rajon-rondo-season-boston-celtics-do-now

Lowe mentions a bunch of trade options. Personally if we can get Favors or Larry Sanders I immediately do that deal. Sure we would be difficult to watch on offense, but our defense might be all time great with a lineup of bradley, Lee, Green, Sanders and KG.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Zach Lowe's Rondo Injury Article
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
as usual he speaks a lot of sense

my heart isn't trying to hear that though
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
The Milwaukee trade is an interesting one for sure. That would be great size up front, with Henson and Sanders. Both guys are young, long, active and have a ton of potential. Neither though, have very refined offensive games and it would be a little scary to see both of them with Rondo on the court - three players that aren't very reliable shooters.

The Barnes trade is the most attractive to me. I've watched Harrison since his junior year of High School, going from the next big thing, to overhyped, and now to a solid rookie. Personally I think the hype was too high for the kid (he was the #1 overall prospect in HS), and there were some very frustrating parts to his game at UNC. He would not show up from time to time, and you always expected more from him, which was probably unfair. He also really struggled when Kendall Marshall went down during the tourney.

Having said all that, the kid has great size, great athleticism and would be the SF of the future for this team. He will never be close to what The Truth has been, but I see him as an above average rotation player on a contending team/fringe All Star. As far as what you can get for Pierce, he would be a nice grab. 

If Boston ends up going down the road of trading Pierce (I would be crushed, but it all depends on how they look in the next couple of weeks), then I think KG is the next domino to fall. He's either retiring or will waive his no-trade to go contend for a championship. No reason for him to bust his ass for a rebuilding team. It sucks if thats how it played out, but it is what it is. Injuries can screw you over big time.

If Boston doesn't play that well in the next couple of weeks and Ainge can turn Pierce into Barnes and KG waives his no-trade for another nice young asset/pick then you might have to pull the trigger. I'm terrified as I read over my post. Terrified and very sad. I can't believe this is how things might end.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
as usual he speaks a lot of sense

my heart isn't trying to hear that though
Haha, yeah I saw your response on twitter.

I love Pierce but if we can do a deal that makes us more competitive long term and also gives Pierce a chance to win a title, you have to think about it. I agree though, from an emotional stand point it would be a punch to the gut.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The Milwaukee trade is an interesting one for sure. That would be great size up front, with Henson and Sanders. Both guys are young, long, active and have a ton of potential. Neither though, have very refined offensive games and it would be a little scary to see both of them with Rondo on the court - three players that aren't very reliable shooters.

The Barnes trade is the most attractive to me. I've watched Harrison since his junior year of High School, going from the next big thing, to overhyped, and now to a solid rookie. Personally I think the hype was too high for the kid (he was the #1 overall prospect in HS), and there were some very frustrating parts to his game at UNC. He would not show up from time to time, and you always expected more from him, which was probably unfair. He also really struggled when Kendall Marshall went down during the tourney.

Having said all that, the kid has great size, great athleticism and would be the SF of the future for this team. He will never be close to what The Truth has been, but I see him as an above average rotation player on a contending team/fringe All Star. As far as what you can get for Pierce, he would be a nice grab. 

If Boston ends up going down the road of trading Pierce (I would be crushed, but it all depends on how they look in the next couple of weeks), then I think KG is the next domino to fall. He's either retiring or will waive his no-trade to go contend for a championship. No reason for him to bust his ass for a rebuilding team. It sucks if thats how it played out, but it is what it is. Injuries can screw you over big time.

If Boston doesn't play that well in the next couple of weeks and Ainge can turn Pierce into Barnes and KG waives his no-trade for another nice young asset/pick then you might have to pull the trigger. I'm terrified as I read over my post. Terrified and very sad. I can't believe this is how things might end.
I was a littled confused by the Milwaukee trade. Was he saying Henson and Sanders? or Henson or Sanders? He mentions two biug men being dealt but Dalembert was a part of the trade first mentioned.

Personally I would rather go after a big than a wing scorer. Especially when we are paying Jeff Green a decent chunk of change.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
TP.

def the most logical article I have read so far since yesterday. Also, brings up some very good trade proposals. I love Pierce but I would accept a lot of these deals
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
A good article. Measured, and for the most part, realistic. I still don't buy the idea that Memphis would part with Rudy Gay for Pierce, though.

I was a littled confused by the Milwaukee trade. Was he saying Henson and Sanders? or Henson or Sanders? He mentions two biug men being dealt but Dalembert was a part of the trade first mentioned.

Personally I would rather go after a big than a wing scorer. Especially when we are paying Jeff Green a decent chunk of change.

It was either/or, not both.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Clippers trade sounds awsome lol but I see no way the Clippers do this
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
A good article. Measured, and for the most part, realistic. I still don't buy the idea that Memphis would part with Rudy Gay for Pierce, though.

Yeah that's what I thought, just wasn't sure. I'm not sure if I would do the Henson deal but the Sanders deal would be great.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman

Yea my bad, I misread. It was either or. I still think Barnes would be the best get out of all those options. They are paying Green a big chunk, but at the same time, the best players in the game right now are wing players, Lebron, Melo, Durant. And I still think that Barnes has the highest ceiling out of everyone mentioned.

Having Henson or Sanders would be nothing to scoff at though. It would solve some serious holes up front. Not sure how happy Pierce would be, going to Milwaukee. I think the organization owes him enough to move him somewhere he would like.

One thing Lowe didn't mention in detail in his piece, is that if Pierce gets moved, KG is the next domino. He either retires or waives his no trade for some contender of his choice. OKC? LAC? He's not staying in Boston to finish his career while they trade away Pierce and go for a full rebuild.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think any of the writer's trade ideas are realistic.

Mediocre teams who have no chance at winning a title are not giving up their high level prospects for 35+ year old veterans.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Mediocre teams who have no chance at winning a title are not giving up their high level prospects for 35+ year old veterans.
I think that the teams most heavily involved will be the ones that Pierce would put over the top. OKC, LAC, San Antonio, Memphis, Indiana.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman

You don't think adding PP to Golden State or LAC can put them over the top? I do.

Agreed on Milwaukee, Washington, Toronto...and the others. I also would not trade PP there out of respect to everything he has meant to this organization.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
If Golden State is serious about contending right now, they should do the Pierce for Barnes, Richard Jefferson and injured Brandon Rush right now. 

They get Pierce for this year and next for 90% of what RJ and Rush will be making (and there's no guarantee Rush will be healthy to start the season). they have a second round pick on a tiny salary to back up Pierce, in Draymond Green.  They are giving up a high draftee with a lot of promise, but you're not going to go far in the playoffs with a ton of young guys, and they have Klay Thompson to play the young un wing role. 

I like this trade for the Cs.  They get a young Pierce replacement with a bucketload of talent, in Barnes, a veteran who will have a big expiring contract next year, in RJ, and Rush, who will be useful when healthy next season.  Pierce gets to go back to California and will have a real chance to contend out there, assuming Bogut can get on the court. 

I also like the Clippers package of Bledsoe and Butler, along with Chauncey, but I don't think the Clips are going to make that big a move.  For Pierce, this landing spot would probably be the most palatable.

Trading Pierce to the Bucks would be unfair to him, although I'd probably do it if I were the Celtics' GM.   

Regarding the skepticism that teams would give up young prospects for an aging vet, most teams won't, but one has to look at each situation differently.  Then Clips might do it because they think they can win the title now, and that they're not going to sign Bledsoe to a big extension down the road anyway. I'm guessing future UFA Chris Paul would appreciate ownership taking on Pierce to help the team get over the top. The Clips will need more half court offense to win playoff series against top teams, and Pierce can give them it.   

The Warriors have to decide whether they want to run with the big boys now, or be a contender in two or three years.  A lot can happen in the next couple of years.  I'd take the shot now if I'm them.   

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If Golden State is serious about contending right now, they should do the Pierce for Barnes, Richard Jefferson and injured Brandon Rush right now. 

They get Pierce for this year and next for 90% of what RJ and Rush will be making (and there's no guarantee Rush will be healthy to start the season). they have a second round pick on a tiny salary to back up Pierce, in Draymond Green.  They are giving up a high draftee with a lot of promise, but you're not going to go far in the playoffs with a ton of young guys, and they have Klay Thompson to play the young un wing role. 

I like this trade for the Cs.  They get a young Pierce replacement with a bucketload of talent, in Barnes, a veteran who will have a big expiring contract next year, in RJ, and Rush, who will be useful when healthy next season.  Pierce gets to go back to California and will have a real chance to contend out there, assuming Bogut can get on the court. 

I also like the Clippers package of Bledsoe and Butler, along with Chauncey, but I don't think the Clips are going to make that big a move.  For Pierce, this landing spot would probably be the most palatable.

Trading Pierce to the Bucks would be unfair to him, although I'd probably do it if I were the Celtics' GM.   

Regarding the skepticism that teams would give up young prospects for an aging vet, most teams won't, but one has to look at each situation differently.  Then Clips might do it because they think they can win the title now, and that they're not going to sign Bledsoe to a big extension down the road anyway. I'm guessing future UFA Chris Paul would appreciate ownership taking on Pierce to help the team get over the top. The Clips will need more half court offense to win playoff series against top teams, and Pierce can give them it.   

The Warriors have to decide whether they want to run with the big boys now, or be a contender in two or three years.  A lot can happen in the next couple of years.  I'd take the shot now if I'm them.
I would rather have Klay Thompson but maybe I'm in the minority here.