Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42562 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
i just got a question,
why did the nets pick karasev instead of zeller?

look... bogdanovic/karasev/brown/johnson/ and maybe anderson

and the question is would you play lopez as a starting center the whole season by not getting another injury? kg's limited minutes and plumlee's foul trouble problems

i know we need center, but why karasev over zeller, we could also used karasev though, since we have assets to get a center via trade

They have a three players who can play center, as you noted.  Karasev is Russian, so may appeal to a Russian owner, and he was reportedly a guy that the Nets have been interested in for a while.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
If Lebron signs with Cleveland, can't Cleveland use the Larry Bird rights to sign Deng?  Would think they would do that.

Is the trade subject to Cleveland signing Lebron, or a done deal?

I think you need 3 years at a team to get Bird rights...

No, you need 3 years without getting waived from a team. As he's traded so are his bird rights.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that Bird rights could be traded.

Become Legendary.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
Trade has to be an A.  No other possible grade.

We had a TPE that was about to expire.  We managed to turn it into three potential assets for essentially nothing.  Even if Thorton, Zeller and the eventual 1st rounder all turn out to be busts, we're not out anything (except, possibly, a protected 2nd rounder). 

In the meantime, we pick up three potential assets.  Thorton is an expiring contract, so he's either trade bait or gone at the end of the year.  Zeller is cheap size and only has one more year left at a low price.  A first-rounder always has some value, even if it's the last pick of the draft.

Our floor, in terms of returns, is a worst case that nothing we get pans out.  For giving up nothing, that's about as good as we could ask for.

Mike

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
How does Danny keep fleecing the nets?

Cleveland's first rounder, not NJ's. edit: Brooklyns.

I don't see why the Nets do this to help out the Cavs, though.

Exactly he's fleecing the Cavs here not the Nets.....  That's why he got the TPE, collecting assets...

The Cavs haven't been fleeced.  They get rid of Jack (who they didn't want) and they can now get LeBron.

TP. This blog loves the term fleeced! Someone always has to be fleeced in a trade.

Sometimes, it is just a good trade. Nice work Danny.

This is a very rare opportunity to use "serviceable," "legit," and "fleeced" all in the same post. You better believe that I'm ransacking the internet for a scouting report that compares Zeller's stride to that of a gazelle.

You get a TP as well.

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
don't mean to bring up his name again....
but would we have enough assets now to make a stronger play at kLove w/o losing rondo?

a bazillion first round picks and a bazillion dollars worth of expiring contracts?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
don't mean to bring up his name again....
but would we have enough assets now to make a stronger play at kLove w/o losing rondo?

a bazillion first round picks and a bazillion dollars worth of expiring contracts?

Not if the Cavs trade Wiggins.

Become Legendary.

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Can anyone tell me if we used the TE in today's trade or do we have it still

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Can anyone tell me if we used the TE in today's trade or do we have it still

Used in the deal.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
radio just said cleveland has deal in place for kevin love.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Lebron signs with Cleveland, can't Cleveland use the Larry Bird rights to sign Deng?  Would think they would do that.

Is the trade subject to Cleveland signing Lebron, or a done deal?

I think you need 3 years at a team to get Bird rights...

No, you need 3 years without getting waived from a team. As he's traded so are his bird rights.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that Bird rights could be traded.

In order to sign LeBron, Cleveland will have to renounce Deng's Bird rights in order to clear the cap space to sign LeBron.  That way teams can't go way over the cap by signing free agents and then resigning their own players, unless their own player has a small cap hold (like Chandler Parsons with Houston).

Offline michael 26

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
This is great news! Tyler Zeller could really develop into a solid starter in the future. Also a draft pick can never hurt!

One thing I don't understand is why the Nets are giving up all their draft picks!? I mean this trade isn't that big... Anyway this is a great trade and a good start to hopefully an active summer!

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Trade has to be an A.  No other possible grade.

We had a TPE that was about to expire.  We managed to turn it into three potential assets for essentially nothing.  Even if Thorton, Zeller and the eventual 1st rounder all turn out to be busts, we're not out anything (except, possibly, a protected 2nd rounder). 

In the meantime, we pick up three potential assets.  Thorton is an expiring contract, so he's either trade bait or gone at the end of the year.  Zeller is cheap size and only has one more year left at a low price.  A first-rounder always has some value, even if it's the last pick of the draft.

Our floor, in terms of returns, is a worst case that nothing we get pans out.  For giving up nothing, that's about as good as we could ask for.

Mike

TP my thoughts exactly.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
A great, great added bonus to today's trade is that we may have helped sealed the deal for Lebron to go to Cleveland and have killed the Miami Heat, leaving Wade and Riley in misery.

I would have done the deal just for that alone.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is great news! Tyler Zeller could really develop into a solid starter in the future. Also a draft pick can never hurt!

One thing I don't understand is why the Nets are giving up all their draft picks!? I mean this trade isn't that big... Anyway this is a great trade and a good start to hopefully an active summer!

Draft pick is from Cleveland.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
radio just said cleveland has deal in place for kevin love.

Not true until Woj says it.