Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42548 times)

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
I love this deal.  Zeller has true C size, is young, and improving.  Given his per 36min production, he can be a 15ppg, 10rpg C that we need.  Plus we add another 1st to out war chest.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
A+ plus trade for Ainge!

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
My biggest question is that if we keep Zeller, is he really a legit Center? He's not a rim-protector (nor will he be with his below-average arm length)... Ideally, he could be good post defender if he were to get to that 255-260 weight range to compliment his decent quick feet.

I'm just providing some pessimism due to watching his college play, where he was essentially a stretch 4... along with our plethora of them..
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
LOL when looking at my twitter feed this morning knew there was a Woj bomb with 189 unread tweets. When can this trade be official or is it already, if Cleveland doesn't land LBJ can they back out?

Tomorrow at the earliest is when things become official. The Celtics have a 3 day window to use the exception. July 10-12.

Also i think this whole deal is contingent on Lebron picking Cleveland. None of this is guaranteed.

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
My biggest question is that if we keep Zeller, is he really a legit Center? He's not a rim-protector (nor will he be with his below-average arm length)... Ideally, he could be good post defender if he were to get to that 255-260 weight range to compliment his decent quick feet.

Actually, in terms of per-minute production Zeller is actually an above average shot blocker. Arm length isn't as much of an issue as people think; obviously size helps, but there have been plenty of players that were good shot blockers without gigantic reach. It's all about timing. At the moment, Zeller gets a good number of blocks given how many minutes he plays; his problem is that he also fouls too much. But that's more or less what you expect from a young player. I think if he gets good defensive coaching and heavy play-time we will see him turn into a pretty strong defender (already his defensive rating isn't bad. Not great, but far from catastrophic). He just needs to work on his timing/instincts, which only come with reps. I think the talent is there.

I'm just providing some pessimism due to watching his college play, where he was essentially a stretch 4... along with our plethora of them..

I was really down on him coming into the league, too. But did you watch him play at all this past season? Completely different player.

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

I respectively disagree on him being a stretch 4 in college.  He played along Henson and Barnes his last two years and Roy ran their half court offense right through Zeller in the post on either block.  He has a nice post game  ( hooks from either block ) he has tremendous speed for a big man.  Shoots pretty well for the line, he is not a shot blocker but at UNC he was great on rotations on defense and stepping in and taking a charge.  He is a solid NBA C and a slightly higher upside playing with Rondo....

Not sure if Stevens will take advantage of his speed like Roy did, well Kendall Marshall did.  Kendall Marshall is one of the best I have ever seen passing up court on the fast break, it's a joy to watch....

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I respectively disagree on him being a stretch 4 in college.  He played along Henson and Barnes his last two years and Roy ran their half court offense right through Zeller in the post on either block.  He has a nice post game  ( hooks from either block ) he has tremendous speed for a big man.  Shoots pretty well for the line, he is not a shot blocker but at UNC he was great on rotations on defense and stepping in and taking a charge.  He is a solid NBA C and a slightly higher upside playing with Rondo....

Not sure if Stevens will take advantage of his speed like Roy did, well Kendall Marshall did.  Kendall Marshall is one of the best I have ever seen passing up court on the fast break, it's a joy to watch....
Also Zeller's range on his jumpshot isn't far enough to be a "stretch" anything. He's a good jumpshooter for a C based on what he did in college but that's it.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Also i think this whole deal is contingent on Lebron picking Cleveland. None of this is guaranteed.
I disagree, multiple reports have indicated this deal is happening no matter what LeBron decides.

Cavs have backup targets for the cap space if LeBron doesn't sign with them.

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Yea I agree - he can knock down a foul line jumper but that is about the max on his range.  He is not a game changer but he is a nice piece for this team...

Also Zeller's range on his jumpshot isn't far enough to be a "stretch" anything. He's a good jumpshooter for a C based on what he did in college but that's it.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I disagree, multiple reports have indicated this deal is happening no matter what LeBron decides.

Oh nice! Any links, or names you can link to that report?

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

yeah, their backup target is reportedly Chandler Parsons. If the Cavs go ahead with the Love trade, and Lebron doesn't pick Cleveland, we could very likely sign Love next summer as a FA.

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Love this trade.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm curious how many people think he's ready to start. And if so, who between Sully and Olynyk starts at PF. I'm inclined to say yes, and Olynyk.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Arm length isn't as much of an issue as people think; obviously size helps, but there have been plenty of players that were good shot blockers without gigantic reach. It's all about timing.

If players have equal timing, the size matters.  Long arms help on both ends too and rebounds and blocking passing lanes.  Scratching your knees while standing, etc.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Oh nice! Any links, or names you can link to that report?
Marc Stein tweeted about it about an hour ago, I believe others have as well.