Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42548 times)

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Another year of mediocre basketball. Awesome.

We are in a rebuild. It takes years. Buckle up for not one but two or more like the one we just had.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I gave the deal a "B," but not for any shortcoming on Ainge's part.  I think he did the absolute best he could possibly do given the circumstances, particularly with the TPE about to expire. 

However, it's hard to give it an "A" when this doesn't really change anything.  This deal doesn't make the Celtics a playoff team and it doesn't really get them much closer to acquiring someone like Love. 

Furthermore, while Thorton's expiring deal could be useful in a trade, there's a greater likelihood he goes the way of Kris Humphries and simply expires for us next summer.  While Tyler Zeller may prove to be a useful backup caliber center, there's a greater likelihood that he's a bust or a useful backup for someone else by the time we're relevant again.  And while there's a chance the pick brings value, there's a greater chance the pick is a bust. 

Again, none of this is a knock on Danny.  He did absolutely the right thing in making this deal.  There certainly are no sure things in sports. And Danny took something that was about to have no value and gave it value. 

I'm just not doing cartwheels around my house about it.

Take that back.  You can't possibly be serious with a 'B' grade ?  Did you see what he just did ?  Better yet, do you understand what he just did ?

He turned nothing into more assets, which is outstanding. But in terms of improving the Celtics next year....meh. And while everyone is excited about all of the cap space freed up for 2015 free agency, the next big time free agent to sign with the Celtics will be the first. That said, I think a 'B' grade can be justified.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I gave the deal a "B," but not for any shortcoming on Ainge's part.  I think he did the absolute best he could possibly do given the circumstances, particularly with the TPE about to expire. 

However, it's hard to give it an "A" when this doesn't really change anything.  This deal doesn't make the Celtics a playoff team and it doesn't really get them much closer to acquiring someone like Love. 

Furthermore, while Thorton's expiring deal could be useful in a trade, there's a greater likelihood he goes the way of Kris Humphries and simply expires for us next summer.  While Tyler Zeller may prove to be a useful backup caliber center, there's a greater likelihood that he's a bust or a useful backup for someone else by the time we're relevant again.  And while there's a chance the pick brings value, there's a greater chance the pick is a bust. 

Again, none of this is a knock on Danny.  He did absolutely the right thing in making this deal.  There certainly are no sure things in sports. And Danny took something that was about to have no value and gave it value. 

I am not sure it's reasonable to expect Danny to turn something as common as a TPE into anything more. You have to judge this deal as it stands right now - can you imagine any reasonable scenario where the TPE would net the Celtics more? If not, then this is an "A".

It's not a cartwheel type deal. It's all about getting better and getting more assets. In this, the Celtics did both. Zeller is instantly the best Center on the roster and they get a 1st rounder to boot...all for a TPE that was going to expire in two days. If that's not an "A", I don't know what is.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Take that back.  You can't possibly be serious with a 'B' grade ?  Did you see what he just did ?  Better yet, do you understand what he just did ?

He turned nothing into more assets, which is outstanding. But in terms of improving the Celtics next year....meh. And while everyone is excited about all of the cap space freed up for 2015 free agency, the next big time free agent to sign with the Celtics will be the first. That said, I think a 'B' grade can be justified.

How do you justify a B grade when you turn nothing into more assets ?

Who said Ainge is looking to nab a free agent with the cap space ?  With all of the assets, he could conceivably nab that big time player with a trade instead of waiting around for a free agent.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Who said Ainge is looking to nab a free agent with the cap space ?  With all of the assets, he could conceivably nab that big time player with a trade instead of waiting around for a free agent.
In principle, there's the "opportunity cost" of the TPE, but I don't think we would have been able to land much more than we did.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Another year of mediocre basketball. Awesome.

We are in a rebuild. It takes years. Buckle up for not one but two or more like the one we just had.

Adding Zeller and Smart to next year's rotation will likely improve things a bit.  If nothing else, Smart is no worse than Pressley on offense and is substantially better at everything else and Zeller means Sully playing in his proper position.

Mike

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

In principle, there's the "opportunity cost" of the TPE, but I don't think we would have been able to land much more than we did.

The problem is that the TPE can only be used for a free-agent if a S&T is agreed to. So in that regard, the TPE might not be off much use. Plus we have enough non-guaranteed contracts to use if an equal opportunity presents itself. Both methods to get the player are pretty much equal all told.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Exactly, and this is largely a debate of semantics and subjectivity.  I repeatedly said in my last post that I'm a fan of this deal and that I don't think Ainge could have done any better with the hand he's dealt.  So I suppose I could give Ainge an "A" given the circumstances, just as a teacher (which I am), I could give a student an "A" under the circumstances if he/she wrote an essay for me on his/her I-Phone while being delayed in the airport the day before a due date. 

But that doesn't mean that the product would be all the impressive. 

And that's how I see it.  I'm happy with all the assets Danny picked up.  But none of them are really all that great and it's quite likely that none of them even end up helping us in the end.  Moreover, for everyone's who's all pumped about cap space, our cap situation next summer is entirely unaffected by this trade. 

So again, given the circumstances, this was a savvy move by Ainge that can potentially pay dividends later.  But given the reaction of some people on this board, you'd think we'd pulled off the second coming of the KG trade. 

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Moreover, for everyone's who's all pumped about cap space, our cap situation next summer is entirely unaffected by this trade. 

Actually, to be clear, the cap situation next summer IS affected by this trade: we now have less of it because of Zeller's contract.

Celtics fan for life.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I give this grade an A. 

He got back yet another 1st round pick, plus a very serviceable seven-footer who in his rookie year did 8/6.  He did step back last year, sophomore slump maybe?  He also cleared cap space at the end of the year with Thorton's expiring deal (which is a valuable commodity at the trade deadline).

In Danny we trust!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Moreover, for everyone's who's all pumped about cap space, our cap situation next summer is entirely unaffected by this trade. 

Actually, to be clear, the cap situation next summer IS affected by this trade: we now have less of it because of Zeller's contract.

It's a team option, so I doubt it affects at any level of consequence.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
its better than sitting around on our thumbs watching other teams makes moves.  Whats their to complain about?

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I am a little bit of a Carolina fan, mainly bc I love their offensive strategy which is to run and put pressure on opposing teams with speed and quickness and unlike Duke, use bigs for more than rebounding and passing to three point shooters.

Tyler Zeller thrived in the Carolina secondary break offense.  He out ran other bigs, plays D, rebounds and has a descent hook/shot. 

The Zeller family is just one of the best sports families nobody knows.  Three kids, one played for Notre Dame, Tyler played for UNC and the younger kid who plays for Charlotte played for Indiana.  Dad is an surgeon, mom and dad came to almost every UNC, Notre Dame and Indiana game.  They were a big part of the college community and raised three great kids.

There will be no off the court issues with Tyler and he will wear the Green with respect and pride.

Love this guy on the Celts.  and I love the pick as well.

Nice job DA

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

Are we bringing in two max free agents next year?  How much cap space do we need?

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

It's a team option, so I doubt it affects at any level of consequence.

Ok, good point.
Celtics fan for life.