Author Topic: Pick 2 Draft Roster Write-Ups  (Read 10494 times)

Re: Pick 2 Draft Roster Write-Ups
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Thanks for the input gents.  You guys are amazing!  Love the thought processes.  There are definite defensive holes with my squad, but in the imaginary world of CB drafts I'm an almost lured towards the offensive side.

I had envisioned a starting lineup of

Rose
Miller
Maggette
Boozer
Gortat

I hear the argument against Maggette, but I think he's better suited with the starting unit. 

On a side note, I traded Salmons straight up for Maggette as I thought his skills were a little less redundant for my team than Salmons'.  Was that a gain?
Yup

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Thanks for the input gents.  You guys are amazing!  Love the thought processes.  There are definite defensive holes with my squad, but in the imaginary world of CB drafts I'm an almost lured towards the offensive side.

Rose
Miller
Maggette
Boozer
Gortat

I hear the argument against Maggette, but I think he's better suited with the starting unit. 

On a side note, I traded Salmons straight up for Maggette as I thought his skills were a little less redundant for my team than Salmons'.  Was that a gain?

I liked Salmons a lot more for your team.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't think you'd drafted Mike Miller yet ... at the time of the trade ... so yeah, definitely a good trade at that point.

With Mike Miller on board, it is a little more questionable. I am not sure which would have been best to keep because Salmons it too unreliable / inconsistent to really pin down his possible contributions. The questionable part -- potentially, Salmons is a smoother fit offensively and provides a little more defense.

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Rose
Miller
Maggette
Boozer
Gortat

Who asked you?  :P

;D
Yup

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Thanks for the input gents.  You guys are amazing!  Love the thought processes.  There are definite defensive holes with my squad, but in the imaginary world of CB drafts I'm an almost lured towards the offensive side.

Rose
Miller
Maggette
Boozer
Gortat

On a side note, I traded Salmons straight up for Maggette as I thought his skills were a little less redundant for my team than Salmons'.  Was that a gain?

I understand the criticism of Maggette in a lineup that features Rose, but I think he's a significantly better all-around player than Salmons.  He's a better scorer, better rebounder, and he gets to the line much more.  Salmons has an atrocious .435 eFG% this year, compared to .474 for Maggette.  Also, I think Redz needed a true SF more than he did a swingman, especially with Crawford on the roster.

It's interesting to see the conventional wisdom in these drafts every year.  Corey Maggette has somehow turned into a team cancer, and John Salmons is a borderline all-star.  Neither is true in "real life", but that doesn't stop a significant number of CelticsBloggers from thinking it's the case.

EDIT:  I reserve the right to change my argument if I end up with Salmons on my team next year, or if a rival has Maggette.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I don't think you'd drafted Mike Miller yet ... at the time of the trade ... so yeah, definitely a good trade at that point.

With Mike Miller on board, it is a little more questionable. I am not sure which would have been best to keep because Salmons it too unreliable / inconsistent to really pin down his possible contributions. The questionable part -- potentially, Salmons is a smoother fit offensively and provides a little more defense.

No, but I'd had him on my radar for several rounds (glad I waited). 
Yup

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I understand the criticism of Maggette in a lineup that features Rose, but I think he's a significantly better all-around player than Salmons.  He's a better scorer, better rebounder, and he gets to the line much more.  Salmons has an atrocious .435 eFG% this year, compared to .474 for Maggette.  Also, I think Redz needed a true SF more than he did a swingman, especially with Crawford on the roster.

This is spot in, in my opinion. Most importantly that Maggette draws fouls at the rate of an elite player. Which is the element of his game I've always most appreciated, say what you will about him, but among NBA chuckers he's not afraid of contact, and the least likely to settle for long twos.

But then I've always been more a Maggette fan and Salmons detractor - John tends to over-dribble and has always been starkly less effective in a reserve role.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
EDIT:  I reserve the right to change my argument if I end up with Salmons on my team next year, or if a rival has Maggette.

I believe in legal speak this is called a disclaimer, but I'm no lawyer  ;)
Yup

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I believe in legal speak this is called a disclaimer, but I'm no lawyer  ;)

Did he have it notarized? Doesn't count if it isn't notarized

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
New-look NJ Nets

Starting Lineup:
PG:  Aaron Brooks
SG:  Eric Gordon
SF:  Shane Battier
PF:  Derrick Favors/Carl Landry
C:   Brook Lopez

Bench:  Nate Robinson, Rudy Fernandez, Gary Forbes, Carl Landry/Favors, Kurt Thomas

Rights to:  Ricky Rubio

If I were a NJ Nets fan, I would be extremely pleased with the present and the future of this franchise over where it currently stands. 

The Present:  I doubt this team makes the playoffs, but I would say this team is a 38 win team this season based on comparing it with the Houston Rockets (same 1 and 3, equal at the 2, downgrade at 4, upgrade at 5, equal bench).

The Future:
  The Nets have a SG who looks like will be a stud 20 ppg scorer in the league for years to come.  They have a young, athletic PF in Favors with freakish upside and potential.  They have a solid young C in Lopez who has increased his scoring every season in the NBA so far up to 19.4ppg now.  And they own the rights to Ricky Rubio who wants to come to an East Coast team and will have fellow Spaniard Rudy Fernandez here to welcome him.  This team has 4 pieces that look to be locks for future above average starters at their position 4-5 years from now.  Throw in Aaron Brooks at eventual backup pg, Rudy Fernandez (maybe start?) and Gary Forbes off the bench, and we feel the Nets could contend down the road.  Also, we have no behavior problem players on this squad and two exemplary veterans in Battier and Thomas to show these young guys them how to play the game right.

Offense:  This team will at all times have fantastic shooters on the floor at the 1,2,3 positions.  Aaron Brooks has already scored 19ppg, and Lopez and Gordon are scoring 19ppg and 24ppg this season respectively.  These guys can create their own shots and flat out score the basketball.  They are complemented with shooters at the 3 in Shane and Rudy.  Carl Landry will be getting most of the present minutes at the 4 who can also shoot and do a lot of dirty work on the o-boards.  I think this will be a very fun offense to watch that puts up 100+ ppg regularly.

Defense:  Horrible.  Definitely a bottom 10, maybe bottom 5 in the pick 2 draft for the present.  But the Nets really like the defensive potential of Derrick Favors as a help defender down low for the future.  We also think that our perimeter defenders will learn a lot from Battier to make very capable defenders as they enter their primes.  Similarly, we hope that Kurt Thomas can help Brook Lopez continue to improve as a defensive center.

Old Nets Salary:  $58,589,080

New Nets Salary:  $30,559,117.  Absolutely amazing.  Ownership feels that the Nets will probably have the best win/salary ratio in the pick 2 NBA.  Ownership has cut payroll by $28M this season and put together a team that we feel will win more games now and in the future.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

New Nets Salary:  $30,559,117.  Absolutely amazing.  Ownership feels that the Nets will probably have the best win/salary ratio in the pick 2 NBA.  Ownership has cut payroll by $28M this season and put together a team that we feel will win more games now and in the future.

NBA minimum salary:  $43.53 million.  ;)

Great job on the team; by adding Gordon alone, you greatly improved the Nets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

NBA minimum salary:  $43.53 million.  ;)

Great job on the team; by adding Gordon alone, you greatly improved the Nets.

Ahh!!  Well, luckily we only have 12 players in this draft and one of our players we only own rights to.  So, the Nets will sign 3 more heady veterans to fill out the roster and one more young player to just get up to the minimum salary threshold.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Player         Position   Salary
Tim Duncan      C / PF      18,700,000
Manu Ginobili   SG              11, 854,584
Jason Kidd      PG              8,500,000
Richard Hamilton   SF/SG      12,650,000
Chris Kaman      PF/ C      11,300,000

Al Harrington    SG / SF / PF   5,765,000
Carlos Arroyo    PG              1,223,166
Desagano Diop   C              6,478,600
Hakim Warrick   SF / PF           4,000,000
Brad Miller      C              4,400,000
Marquis Daniels   PG / SG/ SF   2,470,000
Andres Nocioni   SF / PF           6,850,000
Total salary                   94,191,350

Salary savings:  Seriously? I’m so far into luxury tax hell, I’m not going to bother.  My goal was solely to get a title this year, period.  I win and the extra income more than covers the extra expense. 

Why this draft hurts...   I lost Parker who was the important 3rd wheel on the current team and I lost all of the key players from the bench. 

Also, I was picking dead last each round. I think that’s a first where the person picking last couldn’t finagle a deal upwards in the draft.  For that matter, I think I’m the only GM that didn’t pull off a trade.

Also, all the really good starting SFs were taken leaving either a primarily offensive machine in Harrington and tall SG playing SF in Hamilton.

Why this draft helps...  I still found surprisingly good value at the end of each round.  I was able to land Kidd and Kaman long after I thought they’d be taken.  With those two added to the starting line-up, I don’t think I really dropped off much from the current roster of Parker and Blair.  In terms of starting SF, I exchanged Presidential Richards (Hamilton for Jefferson).  (hey, recognizing that presidential connection should be worth something ☺ )

Team Strengths:  Defense, Shooting, BBIQ, Bench and Experience
Yup, that would be it.  The very things that win titles.  I’ve got a solid defensive team.  A starting lineup that can score on anyone and a decent rebounding squad.  Hamilton isn’t a true SF but he has the height to play the position and he’s a tough, gritty player that knows what it takes to win. 

This team can score in bunches to start with Kidd, Manu and Rip fast breaking with Kaman and Timmy trailing (or breaking too).  Very solid there.  Half court is just as solid, particularly with Kidd running the show and having 4 guys that can fill it up.

The bench is also pretty solid with the versatility of Daniels, Nocioni, Warrick and Harrington.  Miller, Arroyo and Diop play one position but they’re solid as bench players in those roles.  There’s plenty of scoring and D on the bench.  Daniels ability to be playmaker takes stress off Arroyo in that role and he can concern himself with being more of a scorer.

3 of my starters have won the championship and 1 has played in the finals.  1 guy from my bench has also played in the finals.  (I'm not sure if Miller was in Indy for the finals but if so, add him to the experience list).  I have a roster full of savvy vets that know how to play and what it takes to win.  I like this team's chances on any given night to pull out a victory.

Team Weaknesses: Age, Health, SF
With this roster, I have to be worried about their age leading into health problems.  Assuming Daniels is good to go later this season, this is a big lift to the bench.  I don’t have a true starting SF on the roster even though Harrington, Nocioni and Daniels play the position and Rip is tall enough to play it.  I’m at risk of power SFs bullying Rip around (like Bron, PP, etc..).  My way to counter that is to have Rip run them all over the court on offense to really tire them out. 

Outlook:  I expect this team to definitely make the conference finals and beat LA.  A title is the goal and well within reach of this team.

I wouldn’t say I improved over the current roster simply because they’re currently the team with the best record but I feel I did a pretty respectable job keeping them close to as good as they currently are.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The Pick Two Phoenix Suns: do you smell something burning?

PG: Steve Nash / Mario Chalmers
SG: Arron Afflalo / OJ Mayo
SF: Trevor Ariza / Omri Casspi
PF: Antonio McDyess / Charlie Villanueva
C:  Nene / DeAndre Jordan

Deep Bench: Earl Clark, Donte Greene
PlayerPositionAgeHeightWeightPPGRPGAPGBPGSPGFG%3PT%Salary
NashPG376'0"178 16.93.611.30.00.7.521.411 $10,310,938
NenePF/C286'11"25015.17.22.10.91.0.636N/A$11,360,000
ArizaSF256'8"21011.05.52.10.41.6.390.288$6,322,320
AfflaloSG256'5"21513.03.82.40.50.6.505.438$1,959,577
JordanC226'11"2656.97.00.51.60.5.682N/A$6,900,000
McDyessPF/C366'9"2455.15.21.10.50.5.502N/A$4,860,000
CasspiSF226'9"2259.44.81.00.20.7.397.377$1,254,480
VillanuevaPF266'11"23211.64.20.70.60.6.438.377$7,020,000
MayoSG236'4"21012.02.61.80.40.9.407.362$4,456,200
ChalmersPG246'2"1906.32.12.20.11.1.392.347$854,389
ClarkPF236'10"2254.62.30.30.40.2.444N/A$1,898,760
GreeneSF226'11"2265.82.70.80.40.6.396.273$930,700

Total salary: $58,127,364 (12 men)

NBA Suns salary: $65,949,842 (15 men)

Salary savings:  $7,822,478

Why this draft hurts...  Pick Two: Nash, and who, exactly? I hemmed and hawed over that the whole week leading up to the deadline. I chose Carter over Gortat, figuring Vince’s offensive talents would make him a tradeable commodity. In the end, I probably should have taken Gortat, and had a much easier go of things.

Why this draft helps...  Better bench depth, overall. Drafting at 13 each round was a pretty good spot.

General comments: Assembling this roster took a lot of work, and I still feel as though it’s not quite there. Ideally, I’d combine some of my younger bench players and Jordan for a top-notch PF (Aldridge, Scola, perhaps even Garnett) for a true contending roster. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and trade partners.

As it stands, I love the Nash-Nene pairing. But to make him most effective, I think Nene needs to play at C. A Jordan-Nene frontcourt seems intriguing, but I doubt they’ll see much more than 5-10 minutes together on a nightly basis. McDyess and CV will play PF alongside Nene, and CV will probably play next to Jordan when he comes off the bench to spell Nene.

I do like the defensive character of our wings. Afflalo, Ariza, and Casspi (who may see some time guarding bigger SGs) should do well in harassing opposing 2s and 3s. Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll get much consistent offense from them, aside from transition baskets, although both AA and Casspi can shoot the 3 at a good clip.

I initially envisioned Mayo as a combo guard off the bench to spell Nash, but then Chalmers fell to me in the late rounds. OJ will probably see around 20 minutes a night behind Afflalo, and Chalmers will see up to 15 minutes behind Nash, although I may up that to keep our captain fresh throughout the season.

I do like the kiddie-corps, who will see garbage-time minutes. A Chalmers-Mayo-Greene-Clark-Jordan unit will be fun to see.  

Team Strengths:  Flexibility, depth, and balance. And that Nash guy. The roster has a nice blend of athleticism and toughness, offense and defense, youth and experience. The frontcourt rotation of Nene, McDyess, Villanueva, and Jordan allows us to mix and match.

Team Weaknesses:  This team probably won’t beat anyone with defense. And neither Ariza nor Afflalo is a consistent/good enough third option scorer to take pressure off Nash in the starting lineup, which means I may need to rely more on CV than I would like to for scoring punch. Also, this doesn't seem to be a strong rebounding team.

Outlook:  Team should make the playoffs, and maybe, depending on matchups, advance past the first round.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague