Author Topic: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Voting Analysis : Team of the Future  (Read 579127 times)

Re: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Roster Analysis Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Southeast:

Orlando is going to easily win the south east, and even take a shot at best over all in the east and the league. Lebron James alone means playoffs and probably the division, but a cast of pieces that may not be allstars but are at least shiny cogs that can do the part they need to, I think its a landslide.

Washington I like. I don't like Felton, but beyond him Kevin Martin is a scoring virtuoso (how do you like me now, hyperbole?), and S-Jax and Beidrins are both solid players, Biedrins esp.

I want to see who Atlanta gets to play center for them before I make any real judgements, but if McGrady can get 75 games in this year and Jason Thompson can keep getting better, this is a potential playoff team. I don't know what Atlanta expects to get out of Allen Iverson but a bunch of unsold jerseys and a few headlines though. They need depth too.

Charlotte has three player that make no sense to me. They need to be filled out.

Same with Miami.

My pick:
Orlando in a big way, then Washinton then Atlanta. Washinton will be close to wildcare or they will get one.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Well while we wait for more news and picks, I thought this might be a fun thing to fill out.

Player who slid the most in the first round? Pau Gasol (24th)

Player who was a steal in the 2nd round? Joe Johnson

Player who was a steal in the 3rd round?  Shaq

Player who was a steal in the 4th round?  T. Prince

Player who was a steal in the 5th round?  Rubio

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well while we wait for more news and picks, I thought this might be a fun thing to fill out.

Player who slid the most in the first round? Pau Gasol (24th)

Amare (16th)

Player who was a steal in the 2nd round? Joe Johnson

Steve Nash (37th), Manu Ginobili (50th)

Player who was a steal in the 3rd round?  Shaq

Michael Redd (76th)

Player who was a steal in the 4th round?  T. Prince

Luol Deng (97th), Chris Kaman (109th)

Player who was a steal in the 5th round?  Rubio

Andre Kirilenko (122nd), Jamal Crawford (149th)

(It was modest of you to pick two of your players, so I did the same. ;))

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
I actually thought Manu was more of a steal than JJ per draft position, but that wasn't the exact question. Manu was a good pick. If Redd is healthy he too is a good pick, but not the best 3rd rounder.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I actually thought Manu was more of a steal than JJ per draft position, but that wasn't the exact question. Manu was a good pick. If Redd is healthy he too is a good pick, but not the best 3rd rounder.

Last year, Redd was picked something like 33rd overall.  To get him in the third, to me, is a steal.

I actually thought the pick of Shaq in the third round was a little high.  He's still a good player, but he's on his last legs, and his defense has really suffered for it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Who picked Redd 33rd overall?  :o

I'm not a big Shaq fan, but I think based on being reinvigorated with Lebron and supposedly in better shape, he will be an all-star center again. Hard to find all-star centers that demand double teams that late in the draft.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
How sick is everyone about hearing how players are in the "best shape of their life" like all of a sudden they're 26 again? A 37 year old is a 37 year old is a 37 year old

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 08:23:18 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Im hoping that the addition of Miller put me over the top in the atlantic, what do you all think?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I may as well start with the Northwest:

Denver Nuggets (Wdleehi)- Greg Oden, Kevin Love, Mike Conley Jr., Jeff Green, Randy Foye, Udonis Haslem, Miekael Pietrus

Minnesota Timberwolves (celticinorlando)-Jameer Nelson, Richard Jefferson, David Lee, John Salmons

Seattle Supersonics (Hoyo de Monterray)- Tim Duncan, Ben Gordon, T.J. Ford, Thaddeus Young, Hasheem Thabeet

Portland Trailblazers (Edgar/Roy Hobbs)- Rashard Lewis, Manu Ginobili, Michael Redd, Mike Bibby, Jermaine O'Neal, Spencer Hawes, Brad Miller, Delonte West

Utah Jazz (Scribbles)- Dirk Nowitski, Chauncey Billups, Chris Kaman, Mike Dunleavy

I rank them as follows:

1.  Portland -- At this stage, the deepest and most complete team in the division.  Health is a moderate concern, as this team's playoff fate will probably depend upon Ginobili being able to contribute. 

2.  Seattle -- I don't like the backcourt very much, as it's pretty undersized.  I'm also not a fan of Thabeet.  However, Duncan alone is enough to elevate this team to second (and I'm also a fan of Young).

3.  Utah -- Yes, they only have four players, and yes, one of them may miss half of the season, but they've got some major talent.  I like the combo of Kaman / Dirk up front.

4.  Minnesota -- It's tough ranking these guys fourth, because if everything shakes out right, they could be a playoff team.  Obviously, though, they need a center.

5.  I hate ranking this team fifth, because I love it.  wdleehi has done a great job putting the roster together, and I think in two years, it's challenging for a division title.  Right now, though, it's going to struggle.

I like Portland's chances, but overall, it's a solid division, with as many as four playoff teams.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
How sick is everyone about hearing how players are in the "best shape of their life" like all of a sudden they're 26 again? A 37 year old is a 37 year old is a 37 year old

Whos 37 years old?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I may as well start with the Northwest:

Denver Nuggets (Wdleehi)- Greg Oden, Kevin Love, Mike Conley Jr., Jeff Green, Randy Foye, Udonis Haslem, Miekael Pietrus

Minnesota Timberwolves (celticinorlando)-Jameer Nelson, Richard Jefferson, David Lee, John Salmons

Seattle Supersonics (Hoyo de Monterray)- Tim Duncan, Ben Gordon, T.J. Ford, Thaddeus Young, Hasheem Thabeet

Portland Trailblazers (Edgar/Roy Hobbs)- Rashard Lewis, Manu Ginobili, Michael Redd, Mike Bibby, Jermaine O'Neal, Spencer Hawes, Brad Miller, Delonte West

Utah Jazz (Scribbles)- Dirk Nowitski, Chauncey Billups, Chris Kaman, Mike Dunleavy

I rank them as follows:

1.  Portland -- At this stage, the deepest and most complete team in the division.  Health is a moderate concern, as this team's playoff fate will probably depend upon Ginobili being able to contribute. 

2.  Seattle -- I don't like the backcourt very much, as it's pretty undersized.  I'm also not a fan of Thabeet.  However, Duncan alone is enough to elevate this team to second (and I'm also a fan of Young).

3.  Utah -- Yes, they only have four players, and yes, one of them may miss half of the season, but they've got some major talent.  I like the combo of Kaman / Dirk up front.

4.  Minnesota -- It's tough ranking these guys fourth, because if everything shakes out right, they could be a playoff team.  Obviously, though, they need a center.

5.  I hate ranking this team fifth, because I love it.  wdleehi has done a great job putting the roster together, and I think in two years, it's challenging for a division title.  Right now, though, it's going to struggle.

I like Portland's chances, but overall, it's a solid division, with as many as four playoff teams.

I think a lot of people are overlooking what my team will be able to do this season.  They are not title contenders, but I think Larry Brown will have them in the playoffs so they get experience.

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I think a lot of people are overlooking what my team will be able to do this season.  They are not title contenders, but I think Larry Brown will have them in the playoffs so they get experience.

I'm not sure.  Four of your top five players played on the worst six teams in the league last season.  The other, Oden, has been inconsistent.  I like the young guys a lot, but I think they need some time together to gel.

I do like Haslem and Pietrus a lot.

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Northwest Division, aka "The Mod Squad"

This division's GM's come from good pedigree, but I don't think its on equal footing with the Atlantic out East. 1 very good team, 2 average teams, and 1 team that is too inexperienced to make a dent this year.

The Portland Trailblazers take the cake in this division, but for the record, this is a far cry from the Championship caliber squad that came out of Portland last year. The thing that gives this team the nod here is that even if any single one or even 2 of their experiments don't work (excepting Rashard Lewis, he's gotta show up this season), there are enough options to overcome the injury. Lets say, hypothetically that Jermaine O'Neal takes a nosedive while parasailing and boom, career ender. The Blazers can switch Manu over to the 3 and Rashard to the 4. If Micheal Redd goes down, Boom! Delonte, or Manu. Spencer Hawes turns out to suck, well there is Brad Miller. This team has depth in the right places, which means consistency, which means wins.

Seattle and Utah are two teams that are unfinished projects as of right now. Utah has three and a half players, but their three and a half are better than any other three and a half in the division. The problem is you need 5 players, and without some savvy trading, I doubt Utah can match Portland's best 7, which is what playoff series come down to.

Seattle has 4 good players and 1 project. They can use Thad Young as a power forward if they want, but then they're still out a small forward. Hasheem THabeet however will get owned every single night of his rookie season, he can't be a starter. Once he gets actual NBA strength, he will be a very good asset to have, but that can take anywhere from 2-4 years, ask Kendrick Perkins.

The Oden experiment will either work or it won't. That is all this team comes down to. If Greg Oden can score 16 points a night and get 10 rebounds it all falls into place, literally.
First, Haslem gets the spacing he needs to fall back in love with that 10 footer he can shoot. Then, Jeff Green can use the strength he has to get to the hoop without worrying about a center waiting there to swat his shot away that he worked so hard for. MIke Pietrus and Mike Conely can run around the perimeter knowing that the 2 frontline defenders have to stay honest to their men, which makes the outside life much easier.

Or, this team has a bust center that's not special, and none of it works. Big gamble. I'm betting on Oden too.

The Timberwolves are a team made up of a all-star point guard, 2 solid small forwards, and a solid power forward. This team needs to turn one of its wings into either a center or more traditional small guard, and then make up the rest by drafting. They have good talent, just not where they need it.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'm not sure.  Four of your top five players played on the worst six teams in the league last season.  The other, Oden, has been inconsistent.  I like the young guys a lot, but I think they need some time together to gel.

I do like Haslem and Pietrus a lot.

Peitrus and Haslem are both starting until a young player beats them out, both have NBA finals experience.  

They are young, but they are expected to step up this season and get themselves into the playoffs.  

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Whos 37 years old?

Isn't Shaq 37?

Its more a comment on guys like Marbury, or Arenas, or Mike Vick, or Darius Miles, or Monta Ellis..

"I'm in the best shape of my life" means next to nothing anymore.