Author Topic: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game  (Read 4579867 times)

Re: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game
« Reply #13635 on: April 20, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
Thanks, Andy, but I guess I kind of pooped my pants there. Even if I wanted to, I can't come back, because I'd look like a fool. But thanks anyway.
Nobody wants you to leave, Brother, and no one thinks you a fool ... you are one of the best parts  of this blog, and I know I speak for many.

I apologize sincerely for creating such an atmosphere, if I had known such feelings existed, I would have stopped picking early long ago.

I very much hope you'll stick around, and the problem has been resolved ... let's all shake hands and forget about this.

We've had too much fun and enjoyed each other's company and competition far too much to let it just dissolve.

The post-season is almost here, and we all, (me most of all), want you to be a part. Problem created, (by me), problem addressed, problem resolved, (I'm no longer picking early).

Frankly, this game would suck without you, IMO ... please stick around, Bro.

:)
I agree with you on everything except that you need to change anything. This game has existed this way all season and has been fun. I say make your pick when it works best for you and if that is 12 for you then so be it. I hope everyone comes back and plays this out and has fun. We're almost at playoff time when things change anyway.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #13636 on: April 20, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thanks, Andy, but I guess I kind of pooped my pants there. Even if I wanted to, I can't come back, because I'd look like a fool. But thanks anyway.
Nobody wants you to leave, Brother, and no one thinks you a fool ... you are one of the best parts  of this blog, and I know I speak for many.

I apologize sincerely for creating such an atmosphere, if I had known such feelings existed, I would have stopped picking early long ago.

I very much hope you'll stick around, and the problem has been resolved ... let's all shake hands and forget about this.

We've had too much fun and enjoyed each other's company and competition far too much to let it just dissolve.

The post-season is almost here, and we all, (me most of all), want you to be a part. Problem created, (by me), problem addressed, problem resolved, (I'm no longer picking early).

Frankly, this game would suck without you, IMO ... please stick around, Bro.

:)
I agree, no reason to leave. 

I understand your issue ACF and have felt the same way at times.  I even tried to get around it by posting first myself (unfortunately it was before we could 'legally' post which I didn't know at the time) so I understand your frustrations with seeing the same popular players gone by the time you're able to pick.  there's one player I haven't been able to pick in months (that has been a frequent winner or close second) due to others being able to make that same pick hours before I'm able to sign on in the morning. The void list doesn't really help in that regard since the player has been bounced around to several different people who are all on before I am.

I just move on with picking another player and hoping they do reasonably well.  I don't get as wrapped up in winning and just find the fun in playing.

« Reply #13637 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
APRIL 20, 2012

Redz - Nate Robinson, Warriors: 11.2
Misha - Carmelo Anthony, NY Knicks: 22.6
alajet - Paul "The Truth" Pierce, Boston Celtics: 19.7
33-00-32 - Avery Bradley, Boston Celtics: 7.1

Kwhit10 - Klay Thompson, GS Warriors: 11.9
slamtheking - Greg Steimsma, Celtics: 2.9

« Reply #13638 on: April 20, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Listen, guys:
I've got a lot of issues bugging me at the moment and I am a fool for letting it carry over into this game. Bahku, you are not at fault. I AM.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:20:28 AM by ACF »

« Reply #13639 on: April 20, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
APRIL 20, 2012

bdm860 - Andrew Bynum, Lakers: 18.9

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13640 on: April 20, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
StartOrien - Rudy Gay, Grizzlies: 19.1

« Reply #13641 on: April 20, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
APRIL 20, 2012

StartOrien - Rudy Gay, Memphis Grizzlies: 19.1
Cletus1985 - Keyon Dooling, Boston Celtics: 3.5

« Reply #13642 on: April 20, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:05:41 AM by ACF »

« Reply #13643 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Here’s a crazy thought I had, because I am not a huge fan of the regular season (I think the playoffs are so much better).  When the same 5 or 6 NBA players seem to be consistently winning, and they seem to be the first few players picked, the game does get a little blah (or I’m just jealous my picks don’t work out like that, or when I get a chance to pick a “hot” player, he doesn’t come through for me lol).

I think maybe switching things up a little might keep the game a little more fresh.  Do something like a Wacky Wednesday, so when Wacky Wednesday comes around instead of being the highest score, you want to be the lowest score (maybe with a min amount of minutes played).  Or for that one special day we do rebounds or assists or even fg% (with some kind of minimum shot attempts though) instead of points.

Switching it up one day a week might help keep things fresh, shakes up the hot players a little, and would bring a whole new pool of NBA players into consideration.

Just a thought.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13644 on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

PAPOUG!

2011 - 2012 REGULAR SEASON

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL 19, 2012 RESULTS:

Over

Bahku - Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets: 11.5/23 = +11.5 

StartOrien - Anthony Randolph, Minnesota Timberwolves: 6.9/15 = +8.1
RebusRankin - Jared Dudley, Phoenix Suns: 12.7/18 = +5.3
SlamTheKing - Joakim Noah, Chicago Bulls: 10.0/15 = +5.0
Misha - Jose' Juan Barea, Minnesota Timberwolves: 10.9/13 = +2.1
33-00-32 - Drew Gooden, Milwaukee Brewers: 13.8/15 = +1.2

Under

Tie

ACF - Brandon Knight, Detroit Pistons: 13.0/5 = -8.0
GreenFaith1819 - Jerome Dyson, New Orleans Hornets: 8.0/0 = -8.0

Alajet - Monta Ellis, Milwaukee Bucks: 20.7/12 = -8.7

Doody Prize

Cletus1985 - Nick Young, Los Angeles Clippers: 14.6/5 = -9.6 

Recap:

** We have decided to tweak the rules a little bit to allow for late-day picks, meaning you only have to make your pick before the start time of the game your picking from, and not the first game of the day. This will allow people who are working late or miss the early deadline (for any reason) a chance to still play that day ... let us know how you feel about this, and we can kick it around a bit if necessary. Thanks. **

First time I've picked, (let alone won with), Dragic this year ... such is irony, I guess. One TP paid to StartOrien for the sweet second-place score, and the Doody Prize paid to Cletus1985, (Celtics picks always get TPs from me as well). All scores and standings have been updated through April 14th, links provided at the bottom of this page. :)

** Major League Baseball has started the 2012 season, and brings with it the MLB version of this game, PAPTBG, (Pick-A-Player Total Bases Game) ... we hope you'll join us, as it's every bit as fun and just as addicting. Just use the links to find the teams playing each day, pick a player you think will earn the most bases, and post your pick ... that's it! There are plenty of TPs to be had and playoffs at the end of the regular season, so come join us and have something fun to do through the NBA off-season! (TPs for all who join). Play PAPTBG here. **

- Winner          - Celtics Players
- Celtics' Opponent          - Lakers Picks
- Doody Prize (Lowest Qualifying Score)          - LeBron James
- Veritas (Blatant Harvard Partiality)          Orange Highlight - Numbers Adjustments

Go Celtics - See Y'all Tomorrow!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Week's Winners:  (Void List)

Bahku - Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets: 11.5/23 = +11.5

Misha - Avery "Honey Badger" Bradley, Boston Celtics: 6.8/23 = +16.2 

33-00-32 - Jose Juan Barea, Minnesota Timberwolves: 10.5/28 = +17.5

Misha - J.J. Hickson, Portland Trail Blazers: 7.2/22 = +14.8

Edgar - Avery "Bravery" Bradley, Boston Celtics:6.4/22 = +15.6 

33-00-32 - Anthony Randolph, Minnesota Timberwolves: 6.5/22 = +15.5

RebusRankin - Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets: 10.9/22 = +11.1

Current Wins List: 

Misha - 17.5, 33-00-32 - 13, Bahku - 13, ACF - 12, RebusRankin - 10.5, Kwhit10 - 9.5, GreenFaith1819 - 7.5, Redz - 6, Cletus1985 - 5, The Walker Wiggle - 4.5, Edgar - 3.5, SlamTheKing - 3, BDM860 - 3, dark_lord - 2, ThirstyBoots18 - 2, Wdleehi - 1, Outcry - 1, GreenBean - 1, Merovich - 1.

** All scores and standings have been updated through April 14 and are updated weekly - links are provided at the bottom of the Results Page. **

Points Leaders (Thru 04/14):
Misha     919.5                                                                                                                                         
33-00-32     881.0
Bahku     876.5

Averages Leaders (Thru 04/14):
Dark_Lord     12.60   (5 Games)                                                                                             
The Walker Wiggle     11.00   (23 Games)
BDM860       9.91   (22 Games)

Qualified (20 Games) Averages Leaders (Thru 04/14):
The Walker Wiggle     11.00   (23 Games)                                                                                         
BDM860       9.91   (22 Games)
Misha       8.44   (109 Games)

2011/2012 ESPN Scoring Stats

2010/2011 ESPN Scoring Stats (Less than ten games)

* Injury Updates *

Year-To-Date Standings (Thru 04/14)

Top Ten List (Thru 04/14)

Low Ten (Doody) List (Thru 04/14)

NBA Player Index

Updated Rules

Playoff Rules

Celtics.com

NBA.com

** PAPTBG - Play Now! **

** Note: When you make your pick, please try to check and make sure you haven't left anyone out ... sometimes when picks are made close together, the previous player is missed. If you see a duplicate pick, or a pick that is injured, or no game that day, please alert the person who made the pick to their mistake. Also, please make sure your pick has played ten games if using this year's stats - some players' teams have played more than ten, but the player hasn't ... you may be selling yourself short. Thank you kindly! **

For those who may not know, to copy any form "cleanly", (so you don't get the green boxes), just click on "Quote", (above, beside "Modify"), remove entire quote sentence at top of message box between [brackets], (starts with "quote", ends with long number, including brackets), remove [/quote] at bottom of message box also, then copy and paste what's left to a new reply, and add your info.

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13645 on: April 20, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Here’s a crazy thought I had, because I am not a huge fan of the regular season (I think the playoffs are so much better).  When the same 5 or 6 NBA players seem to be consistently winning, and they seem to be the first few players picked, the game does get a little blah (or I’m just jealous my picks don’t work out like that, or when I get a chance to pick a “hot” player, he doesn’t come through for me lol).

I think maybe switching things up a little might keep the game a little more fresh.  Do something like a Wacky Wednesday, so when Wacky Wednesday comes around instead of being the highest score, you want to be the lowest score (maybe with a min amount of minutes played).  Or for that one special day we do rebounds or assists or even fg% (with some kind of minimum shot attempts though) instead of points.

Switching it up one day a week might help keep things fresh, shakes up the hot players a little, and would bring a whole new pool of NBA players into consideration.

Just a thought.

I think something along those lines would add a cool twist.  I've thought of suggesting something like that during this season -- a stat-count if you will - of points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals combined.  it'd be difficult to count the over-average as we do for points for those other stats but if it was done as a straight up count added to points-over-average, that might be manageable (easy for me to say as someone who wouldn't be managing it)

« Reply #13646 on: April 20, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Listen, guys:
I've got a lot of issues bugging me at the moment and I am a fool for letting it carry over into this game. Bahku, you are not at fault. I AM.
Not at all ... it's clear that other people had similar feelings, so it needed to be discussed, and you should not feel badly about it.

It's tough sometimes to be the one to step forward and take the heat, as it would've just festered and have been brought up sooner-or-later, most likely when feelings were even more negative.

Here's to getting back to the fun of the game, and the knowledge that these little tweaks make the game more fair and more enjoyable for everyone.

I should have recognized it long before now, and I sincerely apologize for not having done so.

These growing pains are necessary in all areas of life, and not a bad thing at all.

Thanks for bringing it up, Brother, I know we can still make this thing fun, especially with the playoffs drawing near ... but we need you to stick around.

:) ;)

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13647 on: April 20, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408

Just a thought.

I think something along those lines would add a cool twist.  I've thought of suggesting something like that during this season -- a stat-count if you will - of points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals combined.  it'd be difficult to count the over-average as we do for points for those other stats but if it was done as a straight up count added to points-over-average, that might be manageable (easy for me to say as someone who wouldn't be managing it)
As pointed out that could be quite a bit to have to manage. I like the idea but that would be something Bahku would have to agree to take on and I wouldn't blame him if he felt that was too much to take on. I would personally take a much simpler approach and just make every winner void for 7 days after they win. That way the "hot" picks averages have a full week to go up and all that would need to be done is cycle one player a day on the void list and post it each day. Thoughts on this idea?

« Reply #13648 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

APRIL 20, 2012

StartOrien - Rudy Gay, Memphis Grizzlies: 19.1
Cletus1985 - Keyon Dooling, Boston Celtics: 3.5
thirstyboots18 - JJJ, Boston Celtics, 3.00
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #13649 on: April 20, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I just read that in addition to RA, RR and Pietrus, KG and PP are not playing tonight.  Just a heads up.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!